• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

empty cartridge sticking

EAINC

20g
I have a mossberg 590, ive been shooting a couple of times now and the last time we went. When i go to eject the empty cartridge it seems like its stuck, it takes me a couple times but it comes out. It gets pretty irritaing anythig will help suggestions? thanks in advance.

I had read of a similar issue, but will have to try and find it.

i used winchester 3" slugs and winchester 2 3/4 birdshot game loads. Do you think it could be ammo?

I have heard of ammo being the issue with sticking.... I have heard of Winchester from Wal-Mart being the culprit....Not really heard of the slugs doing it but target and birdshot usually bought in bulk packs from Wal-Mart. Not all guns but only a few and mostly 870's but you never know.

Good point, he didn’t specify if the bolt was leaving the shell in the chamber or if he was doing a FTE buy slamming the gun on the ground

The bolt and extractor look to be fine. When I cycle full cartridges it goes through fine only happens with empty cartridges. Also what is FTE olio700

EAINC said:
The bolt and extractor look to be fine. When I cycle full cartridges it goes through fine only happens with empty cartridges. Also what is FTE olio700

What happens is that when you shoot the round. The cheap metal case on the shell expands and gets stuck in your barrel. That is why the unfired shells cycle fine...no expansion.

FTE = Failure to Eject. Mostly associated with semi autos.

or

FTE = Failure to Extract. Mostly associated with cheap metal cases that expand and get stuck in your barrel. ;)

I have heard that polishing can fix this or using a better grade of ammo. Considering the amount of ammo I shoot (Cheap is good) If I were you, I would polish.

With FTE in a pump the quickest most reliable way to get the spent shell out of the chamber is to grip the forend with both hands and slam the butt on the ground like you mean it.

So the extractor is keeping a grip on the shell the whole time until the shell comes out or are you having to dig the shell out of the chamber?

we understand it is a spent shell

gun parts can look ok and have slight issues undetectable to the untrained eye

I only ever have this problem with low brass target rounds and like everyone else said the cleaner and more lubed up the gun is the better. I am on my colleges trap and skeet team so I end up having this issue a lot. I find it happens even more with Fiocchi rounds and the cheap Federal target loads. A cheapish alternative is Remington Gun Club rounds. They seem to be a much higher quality and rarely does anyone I shoot with have any issues with them. (BTW yes i shoot trap and skeet with my 35 year old New Haven 600AT lol :lol: )

DE_DUCKS said:
(BTW yes i shoot trap and skeet with my 35 year old New Haven 600AT lol :lol: )
I love using my 500 to shoot Skeet.
Nothing better than having some "Gun Snob" tell you that you need an O/U to shoot the game, and then you beat them!!!! :shock:

My Trap gun is my 1100, but my 500 comes along as my back-up.

HAHA I just started so I'm workin on beatin the old guys but the guys on the team love that I shoot a pump because it really shows the broke college kid persona of the team when we shoot in competitions :D

I will try buying not so cheap ammo, if not not will try polishing. Thanks guys for all the info.

EAINC,
Your 590 and all shotguns in general should be able to eat up that cheap Walmart ammo with no problem.
Polishing, in the long run would be much cheaper than always paying for expensive ammo.

Just my 2 cents

If you're pulling back on the forearm during your firing sequence, the bolt will remain locked. It won't pull back until you first push it forward to unlock it. Try to get into a habit of pulling back on the gun with your trigger hand, and pushing forward on the pump with your other as you shoot.

Be safe.

rich

Back