• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

EOTech integrated forend light

Does anyone have experience with this forend? It's pricey but looks rad. . .

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=54492/Product/SHOTGUN-INTEGRATED-FORE-END-LIGHT

The listing suggests using the shorter 6 3/4" action slide tube assembly, but I have the longer 7 5/8" tube. Is there any way that it would still work with the longer tube. If not and I have to get the shorter tube, do I need a different nut or can I use the one I already have?

I'd find it odd if it didn't since the similar Surefire forends use the longer tube.

Now that you mention it, I think I may have a nut like that, but I'm not sure since the stock Mossberg tactical ribbed end typically requires the longer tube.

I think EOTech and Insight are both L-3 companies.

I believe it will work with the regular/standard action tube.

It says it fits 500/590/590A1, all of which use the standard action tube. Though I dont know why it says to look at the 6 3/4" action tube, unless theyre gonna tell you to get the extension nut too.

Rossignol said:
I believe it will work with the regular/standard action tube.

It says it fits 500/590/590A1, all of which use the standard action tube. Though I dont know why it says to look at the 6 3/4" action tube, unless theyre gonna tell you to get the extension nut too.

That's why I put this thread here instead of the 500 sub-forum. I thought that the longer tube was standard since the popular Surefire weapon light forends used the same tube.

I sent a message to L3's customer service, so I'll post their answer when(if) I get it.

In my experience with these lights, they are dim, bulky, and confusing to operate. For that cost i would stay far, far away.
While i prefer a streamlight TLR1 on a rail of some sort, the Surefire forends are nice too, and can be found on forums for sale for pretty good prices sometimes.

On almost every pump shotgun except an AOW/SBS it's going to throw a huge shadow upwards thru your twelve o'clock sight picture, right where you would like to see.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I'd pass even if it were given to me.

Jus' sayin'..........

NiteSite, I agree, its def gonna cast a lot of shadow. I know M24 uses the SF forend, but he also has a 14" SBS.

The shadow is primarily why I mounted mine where I did and use a remote pressure switch on the forend. My mount is right behind the bayonet lug and the light is as far forward as it will go with the bezel nearly touching the magazine lug.

LAF, have you looked up any video for somethin like the SF forend to see any demos and how much shadow is cast?

Nitesite, great point...I never thought of that but it makes complete sense to avoid bottom mounted lights.

I'm well away from the purchase stage; I'm just checking to see if it will fit.

That's an excellent point though; I've never realized that the shadow cast would defeat the purpose of the light anyway.

What's a better option for a 500? I don't have a rail system or optic. . . yet.

LAF, what i did and loosely described above, was to purchase a magazine clamp (the only style that would work with the heavy barrel of the 590A1) but there are plenty of options for standard profile barrels.

The clamp I got is from CDM Gear and has a 3 slot rail on it. I got a light and a mount and like I said moved them all as far forward as I could and ran a pressure switch. Its the Coast Products light and there are pictures in the Coast Products thread under the Product Review section. Not sayin you have to go with the exact setup to make somethin work for you, but it should help with some ideas maybe? There is still some shadow but its on one side and is almost unnoticable.

One more thing I'll mention here;
If its ever needed, the light isnt there to help me see so much or to help get on target. Its solely there to hit the momentary and ID a potential threat. So a little shadow isnt too bad but if its where you would bring your firearm up for a sight picture, then the shadow may interfere with target ID.

Rossignol said:
One more thing I'll mention here;
If its ever needed, the light isnt there to help me see so much or to help get on target. Its solely there to hit the momentary and ID a potential threat.

Very important point. First, it makes you an easy target in the dark. Second, using a weapon light to find your way means you will be pointing your gun at a lot of things you shouldn't be. And third, if the target does not see it coming it will be harder to shield their eyes and might be temporarily blinded.

For anyone that has not done so I highly recommend some type of lowlight/no light training, even if it's a brief session. Many of the things we train to do in the light can be very different and difficult to do when the lights are off.

Litany Against Fear said:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=54492/Product/SHOTGUN-INTEGRATED-FORE-END-LIGHT

The listing suggests using the shorter 6 3/4" action slide tube assembly, but I have the longer 7 5/8" tube. Is there any way that it would still work with the longer tube. If not and I have to get the shorter tube, do I need a different nut or can I use the one I already have?

I'd find it odd if it didn't since the similar Surefire forends use the longer tube.

Works with extended tube. These guys are right about the shadow though. Up close you can definitely see it but you'd have no problem seeing anything. It's more of a distraction than anything. At a distance its negligible because everything is lit up. My buddies gun is the one on the left. Mine on the right.

mossshot.jpg

Litany Against Fear said:

The listing suggests using the shorter 6 3/4" action slide tube assembly, but I have the longer 7 5/8"
led lighting. Is there any way that it would still work with the longer tube. If not and I have to get the shorter tube, do I need a different nut or can I use the one I already have?

have you got this forend light? Yes it is bit expensive but if it nice I would love to have it.. please share your true experience

Back