• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Epic FAiL

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
OK, oops, I misspelled the title.

It should've read: Epic FAL :D

Being a product of the cold war, seeing these what seems like just about every day on the evening news, they are one of the easily recognizable long guns of my day. And probably why they were dubbed "the right arm of the free world".

I have wanted to pick one of these up for many years, but never seemed to connect, until the other day when a friend of mine listed it up for sale on another forum I frequent and I just could not pass it up.

And what makes it better was some of the history behind the gun.

My friend has been an FFL for many years, and living near the factory, he picked this one up there straight from them. I have even spoken with the man who built the gun numerous times on the phone when I'd call in an order or something with the factory when I had my FFL's, so I know him personally, so that means a lot to me to be able to put a face with the gun.

And I also have info from the company that there were less than 500 of these produced, so it is one of the more rare models that they have made in the scheme of things.

Despite being produced during the AWB (year 2000 matter of fact), this one has had very few rounds through it and thankfully had the "permanent" muzzlebrake removed to expose the original barrel threading and currently is wearing a slip over 4 prong flash hider installed so as to not appear as long as the barrel really is so I am actually greatful for that. It retains the velocity of the full length barrel (which it is), but with more pleasing aesthetics of the shorter "paratrooper" model.

fal 008.JPG

It came with the regular receiver cover, though I installed a DSA scope mount and Redfield battlezone 3-9x42 .308 scope on it as soon as I got it home.

I'm still undecided whether to replace the forend or not with a railed version. I'd like to add a bipod but this barrel doesn't have the bipod cut on it for the OEM bipods, so that is why I am considering a quick swap so I could mount a picatinny bipod on it.

Anyway, here's some pics.

This one is the inside of the receiver showing just how few rounds has been put through this gun. (less than 150 in total according to the previous owner).

olyfal internal closeup.jpg

And just some other pics showing some of the proof marks and other markings on the gun.

fal 011.JPG

fal 009.JPG

fal 006.JPG

fal 003.JPG

fal 004.JPG

fal 010.JPG

fal 001.JPG

sweet, one of the most robust rifles I've ever shot.

I am helping a buddy button up an AR10 build from scratch ......is it just me or is 308 through the roof on price these days ?

We will be reloading for it but even components are on the high side it seems

Very nice... I'm jealous of some of your guys hardware!

Yes Oli you ain't kidding the price is real steep for .308 right now.

Thanks gentlemen. I'm very happy to have been able to pick it up.

And watermonkey, we'd be glad to have you.

I was able to find 1000 rounds of wolf for under $500, and shipping was another $19, so basically, was able to pick up a case for under $520 to my door.

Compared to some others, were wanting $350+ for a half case of 500, I thought I did alright all things considered.

Granted I know that wolf isn't exactly match ammo, but it'll serve my purposes. As long as it goes bang and is minute of deer or bear or elk and I'm content. And I doubt they'll ever know the difference either.

I have never own a 308 but since there are a ton of them out there I just never really priced them, quite surprised.

What's the accuracy supposed to be on those JA ?, because to be honest the one I shot wasn't what I was expecting , group wise

This one is supposed to have a decent barrel on it, but I'm not expecting bug holes out of it. Especially with the ammo I have for it at the moment, but I am hoping the scope helps dial it in better than just the irons.

The chambers on these are much like the tolerances of the AK and SKS which is good for reliability but do little for accuracy.

ok, I don't know that much about them other than the butt stroke alone will probably kill a man and they shoot a hell of a good round

Dang John! I am sooooo jealous!! I love those guns!! Our troops carried FN's here into the 80's. I always thought they looked so very badass!!

Would love to see a classic John A. vid with that bad boy!!!

Congrats on an awesome find bro!!

@cmcdonald I always liked them too.

I was able to shoot it today and got the scope zero'd.

I really like the gun. The recoil was a lot less than the cetme I shot not very long ago. This was more of gentle push, rather than a sharp kick. This design is far superior to the other. The only downside is its' heavier.

I hadn't really planned on doing much to this gun in the way of mods, but I'm really wanting a bipod on it but since this barrel isn't cut for an OEM bipod, tonight, I ordered a railed handguard so I can mount a decent set of steady feet on it. Getting older sucks, but I ordered a 13.5-23" so I can sit and shoot while hunting, rather than going prone because I simply can't get up and down too good like I used to could. So, I'm going to try the long legged bipod to see how that does.

I will say something about the Redfield scope though. The clicks are NOWHERE near 1/4" at 100 yards. Probably more like 1/8". I was seriously starting to wonder if it was going to have enough windage adjustment to get it dialed in, but I finally got it. I probably had to go 50 clicks to the right. I wasn't expecting that at all.

But once it was where I needed it, it stayed put thankfully.

I've always liked a set of long legs!

That's weird about the clicks and that far off to the right too? Have you considered contacting Redfield about it. Seems like the mechanical zero may be off...

Very nice rifle, John.
The FAL and its derivatives are one of my favorite battle rifles. An LGS over in Cleves has a DSA SA-58 Para. Used but absolute mint for $1700. Wish I had it.

@tcecil88 , I didn't give anywhere near that much for this gun. Matter of fact, I won't have that much in it even after the scope, mounts, forend, and bipod altogether. I got a pretty good deal on it considering the going price these days.

A week or so ago, there was even a Springfield Armory listed for $1175 on gunbroker, though most of the ones listed typically start out around the $1600 mark and they go up from there. I don't know what the ending price on the Springfield was since I stopped watching it when I came across this one, but that's where it was at when I saw it.

Would love to see a classic John A. vid with that bad boy!!!

I hadn't really planned on putting this up since it's not very spicy (LOL), but here ya go:

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid John! She's kickin' up dust from 3' off the ground...nice! You're a lucky dude! Can't own a FAL up here....prohib except for dealers, military or police. Guess it's just too evil looking.

That is one of the guns I'd like most to own....but can't see it happening. Love to see more vids and pics of that beauty if/when you can.

Thanks for the vid John! She's kickin' up dust from 3' off the ground...nice! You're a lucky dude! Can't own a FAL up here....prohib except for dealers, military or police. Guess it's just too evil looking.

That is one of the guns I'd like most to own....but can't see it happening. Love to see more vids and pics of that beauty if/when you can.

Come move north to your neighbor and you can realize your dream;)

Love to see more vids and pics of that beauty if/when you can.

I have some other parts incoming, so it may be a bit before I get to take it back out, but I'll see what I can do then.

I got the bulk of what I was waiting on. I still haven't gotten the inch mags I ordered, but I did get the new +5% wolf spring for my old mag though, so that should keep the gun in action in the meantime.

I have been wanting to try one of the newer Israeli front grips that were similar to the magpul afg and I like it. While I don't think one is better than the other, this one does feel a little different in the hand due to the larger surface area in the front.

http://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-foregrips/id-699/ergonomic-pointing-grip.html

I also got the long harris bipod in today and I believe that it's going to work well for me. Now, I should be able to just sit and hunt with it if I wanted, or if anyone were inclined, could still go prone with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Harris-Engineering-1A2-H-Solid-Base/dp/B000JJGZII

And the icing on the top was the Ergo suregrip which I liked a lot better than the OEM grip and the Vltor casv forend.

fal furniture 002.JPG

While I wasn't really ecstatic over how expensive the forends are, I found one at a lot better deal than msrp, so thankfully it didn't hurt as bad, but it is a well designed and nice piece of gear nonetheless.

fal furniture 001.JPG

fal furniture 003.JPG

Back