Evening bucksaw project

Discussion in 'Survival' started by dieselmudder, Dec 31, 2016.

1. dieselmudder

dieselmudder .308 "Philanthropist"

After seeing some folding bucksaws on the youtubes, I figured they were easy enough to craft. So a 1x4 piece of Hickory, some hardware, and a few hours later, this is what I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    meanstreak, John A. and Pawpaw like this.
  2. Pawpaw

Pawpaw 20g Supporter

3. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Oh snap! That is cool. How easy was it to make?
  4. dieselmudder

Pretty easy. Used a table saw to rip the board, then again to cut the slot for the blade to fold into. Cut the tenonns for the cross piece by hand. Cut the mortises with a router. Rounded all the corners with a knife. Drilled the holes with a drill. Didn't save any dimensions. Pretty much all just guess and check. Got stainless binding posts for the blade pins from ebay.
    ripjack13 likes this.
  5. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

What blade is that? It looks like a pruning one? I have one with a steel handle, but was thinking about making one out of some nice rock maple I have laying around....
  6. dieselmudder

It's a 24 inch Bahco. It's the dry wood blade. I also got the green wood blade. I went with the binding post screws, to make blade changeability easier. The tensioner is just a piece of popular dowel, and some heavy duty string line from work. I believe it's kevlar.
    ripjack13 likes this.
  7. blacksmith

blacksmith .223

Back when I burned wood. I could outrun chainsaws with this stuff, except the big ones :oops:

[​IMG]
    MikeD likes this.
  8. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

Cool project!!
  9. dieselmudder

Thanks. It's handy to be able to take down. And take camping. To do it again I would cut a narrower kerf. The blade tends to wander around when cutting larger diameter.