• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ever fire a 12 gauge indoors, without hearing protection?

This is why I've been putting money away for one of these on my AR15....DSC_4734.jpg

And ohhh how SHWEEET one of these would be for the 590?????

WhiteOnHost2-web.jpg

I think one of the electronic sound amplifying/dampening ear pro's would be an option, but very unlikely to be used in a real HD situation. I'll live with the hearing loss when my other option is death or a threat to my family... no question about it!

I had a ND a couple years ago. I was over at a buddy's house and had removed my .40s&w carry weapon to handle some business on the John. Afterwards I washed my hands and then picked up my weapon to reholster. It slipped from my hand and headed for the floor. Like an idiot I tried to catch it and BANG!! My buddy's bathroom floor got a little ventilation! My ears rang like a mother for probably a half hour but the actual bang wasn't that bad. Of course his wife freaking out on me was enough to make me want to lose my hearing!!! Lol

aksavanaman - cool, I assume that's a suppressor for your AR-15? Excuse my ignorance, but are those things generally legal?

You know, thinking about this whole topic today got me very ticked off at why on Earth suppressors are considered shady or illegal . . . seems that we should be using modern technology to reduce the negative effects of lawful firearm use to the greatest extent possible. But, I digress . . .

Yes Sir, suppressors are generally legal provided that the purchaser jumps through the appropriate hoops put in place by the NFA, ATF, etc.

Generally speaking all that is typically required after purchase is fingerprinting, a couple passport photos, local chief LEO sign-off, then filing/sending the necessary paperwork including an ATF Form 4 with a $200 check for the tax stamp, followed by the approximate 8-12 month wait for approval before you can take your suppressor home. There's also the option of hiring an attorney and setting up an NFA trust which takes just as long, but avoids one or two hoops. The powers that be have made it a frustrating process, but it's oh so worth it once you're able to thread your can on the end of your barrel...

. . . seems that we should be using modern technology to reduce the negative effects of lawful firearm use to the greatest extent possible. But, I digress . . .

That does seem like it'd make sense, doesn't it?

aksavanaman - cool, I assume that's a suppressor for your AR-15? Excuse my ignorance, but are those things generally legal?

They are allowed on the Federal level and in most states.

However some states, they have been banned, like New Jersey for instance.

To be perfectly honest, the hoops to obtain an title 2 weapon are draconian by todays standards because the law was devised in the mid 1930's. While fingerprints were quite revolutionary and trend setting in their time, with the advancement of a social security numbers, and supercomputers and instant background checks, the old process while was probably the best method to do this in its' day, pale in comparison to a regular 4473 background check which only takes about 3 minutes to perform now.

I really would like to see the process be updated because it is in dire need of it, (and I would really like to see it repealed altogether) but I fear that if it was brought to the table that the elected reps would add as many needless steps and increase the tax to thousands of dollars, or do anything else they could to make it difficult or impossible to do.

Just for the record, that while the $200 tax that's been in place since 1934, while it is still a lot of money, in 1934, was the equivelant of $3,531.04 today, so even back then they were not wanting regular people to own them either, so sometimes it's better to just let sleeping dogs sleep.

Re: Ever fire a 12 gauge indoors, without hearing protection

My pleasure. Glad to finally be able to help out a little with something around here. Lord knows you guys have sure been helpful to me.

Keith
Thank you Snowman for serving the public! (Son of a Trooper)

Not a 12 gauge, but I was in a 10x10 room when a 40 caliber handgun was accidentally discharged.
Yep, it was really loud. Ears rang for about 3 hours.

Last edited:
not to get into any details but I fired a shotgun from a doorway. I do not remember anything about the noise then and now.

Under duress you'd never notice the sound ,but your ears will pay. ask me how I know -HUH? -- I bought a Mossberg bolt action 695 slug gun for the right price a few yrs back took it out to test it. Now I'm a stickler for ear protection. Got a box or two of these (
Polywad's Quik-Shok Sabot Slugs are loaded to 1,500 fps. The patented Quik-Shok slug is .68 caliber as opposed to the .50 caliber slug that most other 12 Gauge sabot slugs use.
The Quik-Shok slug weighs 1-1/8 oz. (492 grains) and splits into three massive segments after penetrating liquid or tissue, even at ranges beyond 100 yards.) and was really wondering how they performed. soi wen to test @ 25 yds .Now the 695 in ported on both sides and X pattern across the top. Shot two rounds of the Quick Shok slugs and man does they kick "492 grs." but they made one hole at 25 yds no bigger than a quarter. .I took off my hearing protection and my buddy and I were laughing how accurate they were , couldn't believe one hole two shots. Well with all going on I wen to test some Rem slugs next and " forgot " my muffs .WOW! I set the gun down and shook my head my buddy says what's wrong and I pointed to the bench where my muff were. my left ear was going twandy like a jews harp . and it continued for a few months.. I have some hearing in it but if I lay on my right ear watching TV I can't understand the speech. all form one screw up. I carry a light jelly plug set up on a hoop around my neck when hunting or wear the sound cancelling hearing aids. I only have one good one left. Don't thank chances.~~MM~~

Back