• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Exotic Ammo Collection

S

SHOOTER13

I collect exotic ammo in .45 caliber as a side hobby...

Here's some I have gathered over the years:

Speer Flying Ashtrays
Winchester Black Talon
Remington Golden Sabre
Federal Hydra-Shok
CorBon DPX
Hornady XTP
Glaser Safety Slugs
MagSafe
Speer Gold Dots
CCI Shotshells
Hornady HAP SM
PMC Eldorado Starfires
Speer Lawman
Hornady TAP FPD
Winchester Silvertips
Hornady TAP CQ

...and the list goes on !!

Re: What Do You Carry?

that actually sounds like a fun hobby i made a copy of your list and thanks for the report.

Hornady Critical Defense rides in ALL my carry guns. Its projectile's unique shape makes it feed flawlessly even in my pistols that tend to be finicky with other JHP ammo. Love the stuff...

SHOOTER13 said:
I collect specialty ammo in .45 caliber as a side hobby...and Cor Bon ranks among the hottest and most lethal...

Here's one report:

http://www.gunblast.com/PowRBall.htm

I also have the following:

Speer Flying Ashtrays
Winchester Black Talon
Remington Golden Sabre
Federal Hydra-Shok
CorBon DPX
Hornady XTP
Glaser Safety Slugs
MagSafe
Speer Gold Dots
Hornady HAP SM
PMC Eldorado Starfires
Speer Lawman
Hornady TAP FPD
Winchester Silvertips
Hornady TAP CQ

You forgot the Aquila "IQ" .45 ACP - the one that will shoot a hole through 3/4" polycarbonate, and explode a watermelon ;)

Well, thanks mister_e !!

I'll be on the lookout for the Aquila "IQ" .45 ACP...where did you score the ones you got...gun show ?!

i will be adding that ammo as well, is there any good sites to find these types of ammo?

SHOOTER13 said:
Well, thanks mister_e !!

I'll be on the lookout for the Aquila "IQ" .45 ACP...where did you score the ones you got...gun show ?!

Yep...found it at one of the local gun shows. After reading some of the write-ups, I decided to give it a try.

Not sure about BPV penetration, but we did hang an old BBQ propane tank and from 25 yds it would penetrate both sides of the tank. I tried some Fed, Hornady, Rem, and Win rds, from 185gr to 230gr, in HP, FMJ, etc. and some would penetrate one side, while others would only dimple the tank :shock:

The Aquila IQ is a 117gr alloy bullet at a little over 1450fps in .45acp. While some have tested it with negative results, I've shot quite a bit through my Kimber, S&W, and Springfield in barrels from 3.5 to 5", and it has been fully reliable with some pretty impressive performance. We did try some in ballistic gel, and the entry wound and wound channel were down right scary. The round itself is breaks up into four fragments after impact, and would make for a very bad day for the BG or whatever you shot. I will say that it is pretty dirty to shoot, compared to any of the other rds I normally shoot. If you can find some, pick some up and give it a go.

As for carry or HD, I'll stick with Hydro-shocks, TAP, Critical Defense, or PDX1. I do keep Glaser, Corbon, and MagTech, too. ;)

EAINC said:
i will be adding that ammo as well, is there any good sites to find these types of ammo?

It's really "hit-n-miss" (no PUN intended :lol: ). Gunbroker is a good site to watch.

It has supposedly been discontinued by Aguila, so it may be hard to find.

I'd check your local GS's, or some of the smaller ammo sites online.

SHOOTER13 said:
I collect specialty ammo in .45 caliber as a side hobby...

Does it look like this? ;)

Note: these photos are from the Net - not mine. ;)

9mmuniques2.jpg

Here's the Aguila IQ .45 ACP

Aguila117Grain45ACP.jpg

WOW...now that's a collection !! ...and thanks for the photo of the Aguila IQ, now I know what to look for.

And after looking at that photo, you can add CCI .45acp Shotshells and Magtech First Defense SCHP to my original list...

(Also see a Kaswer 'Pin Grabber' in the tray...wish I had a box of those. They were used for Bowling Pin shooting matches...nasty serrated nose...2nd row top... 2nd round in from the right...page #2 of this thread)

SHOOTER13 said:
I collect specialty ammo in .45 caliber as a side hobby...and Cor Bon ranks among the hottest and most lethal...

Here's one report:

http://www.gunblast.com/PowRBall.htm

I also have the following:

Speer Flying Ashtrays
Winchester Black Talon
Remington Golden Sabre
Federal Hydra-Shok
CorBon DPX
Hornady XTP
Glaser Safety Slugs
MagSafe
Speer Gold Dots
Hornady HAP SM
PMC Eldorado Starfires
Speer Lawman
Hornady TAP FPD
Winchester Silvertips
Hornady TAP CQ

So i went into My LGS and just browsing around the store, i look in the 45acp ammo section and found a box of the discontinued Winchester Black Talons, Got a box of 2o for 33 dollars. Yes my collections growing.

Yea EAINC, real good find !

Most of the boxes I have still have the original sticker prices on 'em...you don't even want to know what a box of Black Talon went for when they were introduced !! That's an amazing price you paid...believe me! ( You made $$ )

Check the prices on this site:

http://www.nextag.com/winchester-black- ... tores-html

SHOOTER13 said:
http://www.nextag.com/winchester-black-talon-for-sale/stores-html
Just checked the site, and i feel like on a collecting high, any sites to find other rare ammo? You got any pics of your collection?

Re: Any Ammo Collectors?

REPLY to: EAINC...

No to the first question...most of my collection was bought over the course of decades, when said ammo was plentiful or just introduced to the market and not a collectable except to me. Most was bought at gun shows...

No to question number two...as I never really considered it. (Maybe it's time to break out the camera again) ;)

Re: Any Ammo Collectors?

Yeah it is, pictures would be cool. Yeah just went to a gun show in vegas not to much rare ammo. Been checking online alot these past couple days.

Back