• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Exotic Ammunition for 12 gauge

UFCGUY1

Copper BB
I recently found out that besides the typical slug, buck shot ammo; that there is a wide variety of 'exotic' ammunition out there available for my new Mossberg 500 Mariner to shoot!

I'm new to shotguns, will this type of ammo harm my new shotgun? I.E. Dragons breath rounds, double slug rounds????

I've never fired any of these rounds. I've seen vid for the dragon breath, but never fired any. I really dont know what it will do?

I dont think any manufacturer will tell you its ok to fire stuff like that through your gun. I think telling you its ok makes them liable if anything does happen, so theyre going to say to use only the recommended shells or loads.

Thats not to say the firearm cant handle it, just that it doesnt fall into the category of recommended shot.

Sorry I cant be more helpful here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paPJqUA86jw[/youtube]

One of these days I will pick up some exotic rounds to fire out of my Mossberg 500. I would really like to try the dragons breath.

Years ago I use to shoot Dragon's Breathe often, it cost half of what it cost today. We would shoot it through mock doors with silhouettes about ten feet behind them. Here in Az. you should have an extinguisher on hand when shooting targets or objects because of the mostly very low humidity. The link is to the new mfg of the original makers of Dragon's Breathe(they make all kinds of exotic ammo). None of it's cheap.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.atlasammo.c ... shopscript

Be very careful as to what kind of exotic shells you buy, depending what state you live in some of them are illegal and will slap you with an instant felony. I live in florida, where dragons breath, bolo shells, flechettes, and several others are not legal, and some sites dont always list where they are or arent legal.

Crazy whats out there these days, i have personally seen the dragon breath rounds and if used inside the whole house is coming down in flames, its like a 20ft flame out the muzzle.

I was at the range one night with SWAT guys and they were firing all types of exotics out of 870's. They fired Dragon Breath and it did start a fire, they also fired flash bangs that go off at several different distances and a really weird one that fired a glow stick that illuminated the area it was fired into. Didn't appear to cause any problems with their guns and they fired quite a few of them.

I have shot a few of the Dragons Breath as well as the Flechetes. They are okay through normal smooth bore shotguns. BUT USE YOUR OWN DISCRETION IN YOUR FIREARM. Other than that the 2 points I have are:
1) EXPENSIVE: you will pay around $50 for just >3< Dragons Breath
2)BE VERY CAREFUL in where you shoot them.

Happy shooting and be SAFE,
Jones

Back