• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Expansion in Texas

Yeah, that's great. Now all Mossberg model parts can be manufactured by cheap Mexican labor in Mexico and assembled in Texas by immigrant labor. The CT. gun laws had no impact on Mossberg shotgun legality in Connecticut. The move to Texas has nothing to do with the 2A and everything to do with tax breaks and cheaper labor and the eventual out-sourcing of all model production. They'll build them in Mexico and "assemble" in Texas so they can proudly declare, "Made in America." Like the 88. No thanks. I'll keep my old 500A and that will be the last Mossberg I'll ever own. A true American legend

The only Mossberg parts that can't cross the border from Mexico are the receivers. Everything else can and has been since the late 80's. If your 500 was made in the past 25 years or so, it's got a Mexican made barrel and other components on it.

This expansion is not a shift in the way they operate. They're simply growing their infrastructure to meet the increase in demand...

In that case.........my old 500 was made in North Haven, CT. "Growing their infrastructure" or out-sourcing American jobs? Whatever, the workers at CT. Mossberg, many of them 2nd and 3rd generation, will be rewarded pink slips as thanks for years of quality work. They must be doing something at O.E. Mossberg, the parking lot is still full.

I feel badly for the Connecticut laborers impacted by this. For the majority of Connecticut voters, not so much. Take care. Tom Worthington

In the link in Tom's first post Iver Mossberg does mention the 2A climate in CT as some of the reason for expanding in TX. That does seem like bs in light of the civilian gun ownership ban in Mexico. Mexico could certainly benefit from civilian gun ownership. A lot of companies that ran to Mexico have already bailed for China. I'm not against gun or parts being imported but when I hear something is from a certain country I think "cheap".

Last edited:
Since the cat is out of the bag:

I can assure you that a modern "Assembled in U.S.A." Mossberg is a much better gun than the old "Made in USA" guns of yesteryear.

Mossberg has continually improved their gun while keeping retail cost very low. Quality, price and the American Worker don't go together. Thanks trade unions :mad:

While I do agree that Mossberg has kept costs relatively low in the marketplace, I cannot say that modern'ish weapons are to the quality of some of the older ones.

There are many guns 120 years old that are still as functionally sound as the day they were made. And down through the decades, they historically saw more use putting food on tables than this day and age of going to micky d's when the kids get hungry.

Not knockin' mossbergs, but there's a lot can be said about great granpa's old gun too.

John it's called "The pursuit of excellence". Seems like it's gone in this country. Sad.

I'm not saying that Mossberg isn't a good shotgun. Matter of fact, I think they're one of the best and most cost efficient out there.

But I do know what you're saying.

I guess that I was raised old school when my Daddy told me to take pride in whatever you do and do it right the first time.

And my Mom was a nurse and did it to make a difference in someones' life. Not just for a paycheck.

^^^^^yup^^^^^

I agree,Mossberg is a great shotgun. It's their QC that needs a little polishing.;)

This continues to be a trend in a lot of eastern states. I fear that Pennsylvania may find itself in the same situation soon. It seems to be par for the course here to cut off your nose to spite your face. There are too many knee jerk reactions by law makers and uninformed citizens.

Back