• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Extra Thread Protector for 4x4?

gyotar

.22LR
I bought my 4x4 second hand and didn't receive the thread protector for the muzzle break. Anybody have an extra or one they know they'll never use? I'll pay for it with shipping as well.

gyotar said:
I bought my 4x4 second hand and didn't receive the thread protector for the muzzle break. Anybody have an extra or one they know they'll never use? I'll pay for it with shipping as well.

I don't know of anyone with an extra one laying around, but just about ANY thread proctor on Midway or Brownells should fit. Just make sure the threads are the same spec!

What thread pitch is it?

As Itsricmo stated, thread protectors are pretty common on such sites as brownells and midwayusa, and others.

if it is a common thread pitch (5/8-24 or 1/2-28), you could even purchase a flash hider (if your state allows) or muzzlebrake or compensators to put on there that would serve more more than just protecting the threads.

Just a thought.

John A. said:
What thread pitch is it?

As Itsricmo stated, thread protectors are pretty common on such sites as brownells and midwayusa, and others.

if it is a common thread pitch (5/8-24 or 1/2-28), you could even purchase a flash hider (if your state allows) or muzzlebrake or compensators to put on there that would serve more more than just protecting the threads.

Just a thought.

+1 to this!

I can't find the specs online and the mossberg CS rep had no clue. I'm still interested in buying the stock one if anyone is willing to part with one. Thanks for the replies.

Can someone with a gauge measure the threads? Mossberg CS said 3/4" - 16

I'm 100% sure this is wrong since the fluted barrel OD is 5/8" and the thread nominal OD is 1/2"

I live in a remote community and none of the usual stores have thread gauges for sale.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I ordered one of these on eBay and it works like a charm.

5/8"OD - 1/2"x28tpi RH
Smooth
1/2" Long
Without Set Screw
Black Matte Finish

The only issue is that the black matte finish is a shade off the bluing. Not really noticeable though. The seller had a blue finish but I don't think that would have been much closer.

As I stated in the other thread you replied, 5/8"OD - 1/2"x28tpi RH are two entirely different sizes.

Since the end of the non-threaded 4x4 barrel is .617" diameter, that's not quite big enough for a 5/8" x 24tpi thread that most .308 and up guns use. He's saying the threads are 1/2" x 28tpi. That's a common size and usually used for .22 bore guns. 1/2" will make the barrel a bit thin for a .338 but doable... and it sounds like that's what Mossberg did. And the thread protector being 5/8" outside diameter makes sense also.

Maybe the muzzle is .619". Something like that. Anyway, for a 5/8" x 24tpi thread, you need .620" for the threads. The prob with using that is there's no material left for a face to square up at the end of the threads to help align the brake when it's tightened.

On my 30-06 4x4 these are the dims I provided to the seller and it fits perfectly. Other calibers may be different.

5/8" outside diameter (matches barrel OD exactly)
1/2" thread diameter X 28 thread pitch
1/2" long

Back