• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

F1 blackout project- update page 3

Chips have been slinging ole buddy.

Had this design rolling around in my head for years. This will either make or break me. Lots of stuff going into this can that I've never seen or heard being done before.

I think I can pull it off though.

I won't be putting all the details of the internals for OPSEC reasons, but this one will probably confuse most folks doing F1's.

Actually, it may confuse just about everyone. Like I told you guys earlier, there's not another like it anywhere.

And this is just one of the unique ideas I'm trying to use in it.

The short story is that I'm trying to take advantage of high and low pressure area's. These are the divider ports that will feed the reflex chamber from the expansion chamber.

The high and low pressure expansion core and the umbrella baffles, I probably won't be adding any pictures of them anytime soon, but I'll update once closer to completion. But for now, it's about supper time.

pigeon forge vacation 041.JPG

So its kinda like a two litter bottle full of rags except it wont catch on fire.

I think I have ultimately decided to use Thermal Zero ceramic packing in it. It should be better than copper coated chore boy scouring pads, and will hopefully give it a nice low tone.

And what's better, it's made in the US. Just north of me in Cincinnati, Ohio.

And yes, that's another thing that's going to make mine stand apart from traditional silencers. I told you that this is going to be a very unique build.

Was able to finish it this morning. Test firing went really well.

Lots of work went into it, but was time well spent and I'm satisfied how it turned out.

I am excited to say that my idea(s) worked. Perhaps maybe better than I expected.

Also, I had a goal of keeping it at or below 21 ounces. Considering that it's 11 inches long, I thought that was within reason.

Turns out that after all was said and done, it topped the scale at 18.4 oz.

DusEUcn.jpg

fyXJlJ2.jpg

8grdJjp.jpg

MikeD, they can't hold your papers hostage forever. I think your examiner is a bit goofy anyway.

Thanks Caddmann.

I think it's real quiet, especially for a 30 caliber can.

So how many pieces did you end up with in the assembly?

Counting the internal muzzlebrake as a baffle, there is also a long monocore baffle and 2 other baffles and spacers.

So, 6 in total, but the 2 spacers just keep the final 2 baffles in position and don't really do anything.

Did my final testing today and I'm going to call the project complete.

Here are a couple of things that I've noted during the entire process that I learned that may help someone else.

A single .095" diameter barrel port placed midway between the gas block and the muzzle on my 8.5 inch barrel dropped my velocity 30 feet per second.

The sound duration of the fired shot with the old suppressor lasted .69 seconds before. After the new suppressor was added, the sound duration dropped to .47 of a second in duration. That's a pretty significant drop.

Overall, it is more quiet because the design is more effective, and as I noted above, the duration of the sound of the shot is also shorter, which helps make it "sound" more quiet too because the sound doesn't last as long as it did before.

I had some different loads with different powder and bullets worked up to test today, but only remembered to bring the ones in the magazine with me, but all of them should be within reason to point of aim. Not exactly of course, but close enough for minute of whitetail vitals at the distance that I hunt.

The test group today was shot with 190 gr noslers. The same bullets as I have been doing the sound and function testing with.

The other bullets I was going to shoot today were 220 gr sierra matchkings, 223 gr cast leatherheads, and some 240 gr sierra matchkings but like I said, I forgot them on my bench and it'll be another day before I test them.

I didn't readjust the scope from when I disassembled the gun to put all of this back together. It had been zero'd from last year when I built the upper and I simply can't remember which bullet weight and powder combo that I had used to zero it in the first place.

So, after shooting a 5 round group and seeing that it's about where it should be, this project is done.

By all means, I don't think there was a point of zero shift from the new suppressor, or from taking it apart and putting humpty dumpty back together again. The bullseye is about as round as a pop can.

testing 002.JPG

I find this 100% bad a** because YOU made it yourself. Good ole American ingenuity at work. Love it much applause to you sir. Wait one, 5 shot group weres the stray ? I always pull one stray to jack up a nice group.

Thanks for the compliment.

In all fairness though, I have had a long fascination with silencers.

I have looked at and read and studied everything I have gotten my hands on for about 15 years now to a fault.

5 shot group weres the stray ? I always pull one stray to jack up a nice group.

Sorry, I just saw this.

The top hole was the stray. Thankfully, it was my second shot, so I had time to walk the remaining 3 shots toward it so it would look better than it was. :laugh:

Fire for effect ghost rider.

Well the effect is very impressive, and the whole project is very impressive. I don't have the type of tooling necessary to take on a project like this, but even so it's amazing what you can do with a few tools and a lot of ingenuity.

And I would imagine that a couple decades of experience helps too. ;)

Nah, I get lucky shooting sometimes ;)

That's what happened with the group above.

The walking the bullets up to the flyer hole was actually a joke if you could've heard all of the laughter when I was typing it but that doesn't convey in print I guess.

It would be next to impossible to complete this project without the right tools though.

I see people buying all sorts of solvent traps and solvent cups and stuff, which is fine for many things, but this design was a lot more exotic than those are inside of there.

I'm not knocking the solvent traps because they do really well on certain calibers, but that wasn't the direction that I wanted to go.

I wanted to prove to myself that my idea would work.

Or not.

One way or another, I was determined to find out.

I'm happy with how it sounds. I wanted an improvement from what I was using before and I got an improvement. Objective complete.

I'm slow at machining because my lathe is small which is really kinda good for me because I don't have any formal training so I take my time and watch what I'm doing more closely because I have to figure things out as I go.

In total, I probably have about 13 hours of machine time in it. But , I'll get a lifetime of enjoyment out of it, and eventually one of my kids will own it when I'm gone, so those 13 hours it took to make it, was time well spent.

Now time to support HPA or SHUSH so it doesn't take a year+ to get an approval signature saying that you're not a prohibited person. That's just asinine. A standard 4473 background check does the same thing and in minutes.

Back