• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Factory ammo for .338 4x4

WildMatt84

Copper BB
What has ya'lls experiences been with factory .338 win ammo out of the 4x4. I feel like the groups im getting out of the winchester and remington ammo are not that great. Which factory ammo has given yall the best groups? Has anyone tried the Hornady superformance?

I have not tried factory ammo except for Remington. I went straight to reloading. Try to find factory ammo with a flat base bullet. Mine won't stabilize a boat tail. I'm shooting hornady bullets and mine is shooting less than an inch at 100 yards.

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you'll find a load your rifle likes. It might be a different bullet weight, it might be something else, it might be a loose scope base or rings, it could be a lot of things but I am certain that you'll get it nailed down fairly soon.

You may also want to check the screw that hold the action to the stock. I had to put lock tight on mine to keep them from coming loose. Also the factory scope mounts aren't the best, see my build thread via my signature for details on that and my other accuracy struggles.

What is the bullet weight of the Winchester and Remy ammo you're using?

Your rifle's 1:10" twist will accommodate a wide range of bullet weights, but I imagine you'll see the best results with weights of 225gr or heavier...

I've tried both 225 and 250 i believe. It has killed everything I've pointed it at. Including neck shots on a whittail and an axis. i just think I've got a little inconsistency in my groupings when all I'm doing is shooting paper

What kind of rest are you using when shooting? How far away were you in the field? A good solid rest would be very helpful on the range as well as in the field.

Bipod and sandbags and 100 yards. Same setup I use with my other rifles that kick much more and I manage much better groups with them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back