1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Factory front sight woes

Discussion in 'Vang Comp Systems' started by Gonz9731, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Gonz9731

Gonz9731 .410

FS woes:

Just received a brand new 18.5" barrel ffor the 590A1.

I had it sent directly from Mossberg to Vang Comp.
    VC gave it their treatment and sent it to me.

Got it on the gun and the front sight seems noticeably canted to the left.

Any prior experiences with the issue?
    Does VC index their ports off of the FS?
    They seem symmetrical to the FsBase. So I'm concerned if I have to have the FSBase moved its going to throw off the port work.
    It's too early here (East Coast) to reach VC or Mossy so I'm hoping to get some help here first but I'll post up news here as soon as I get it.
  2. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

I know this was a common issue for a while with the 930SPX models. You can contact Mossberg but they will likely just want to replace the barrel, given that you have had a lot of custom work done prior to noticing this I'm not sure.

If does not hurt to contact them and explain the situation, perhaps even contact VC and see what they recommend, I'm sure they have the skills to align it for you.
  3. Water Monkey

Water Monkey The man, the myth, the monkey Moderator Supporter

One would think VC would have recognized this prior to beginning work.
  4. Gonz9731

Gonz9731 .410

Ok all, quick update;
    Spoke to Cody at VC. Great guy great CS at VC.
    I was hoping that VC may have checked the trueness of the FS before beginning work. VC does not have a receiver jig they work off of so they rely on Mossberg's work to determine where the pots are going ie they DO index their ports off of the front sight base. (Completely logical and understandable so no "knock" there I'm just filling everyone in)
    2) Cody felt Mossbergs sometimes come in canted but it is not that often. It's a more rare thing than on other shotgun brands they work on and they require those brands to send in the receiver with the gun.
    3) I shot the snot out of that gun yesterday. The VC system kept all shots from OO inside the 8 of a B40 at 25 yards and probably would've done better if the shooter was a better shooter. After doing some tinkering we concluded the dovetail sight blade was canted and crooked as Hillary Clinton but the base itself was fine so I'll be contacting Mossy for a replacement Monday.

Thanks all for listening. Lmk if you have any questions.

And THANK YOU John and Cody at VC. It was a pleasure speaking with both of you. I even had a chance to say hi to
    Mr. (Call me Hans) Vang

Ed. to add;

A Choate type mag ext was used.
    S&J Hardware en route but not in time for the class yesterday)
    It got me a true 2 rounds with buck, slug and bird. It ran fine when directly attached to the mag tube. However, I ran a wilderness products front sling plate between the tube and the ext.
    BE WARNED: the gap created by the sling plate between the mag tube and the extension caused the spring to hang up on the mag tube lip and jam the hell out of the mag tube spring. Feeding was totally dependent on gravity and tilting the gun up after each ejection to feed a round out of the tube. Pulling the plate and re-attaching the ext directly to the tube cured this for the rest of the day and well over 100 rounds of mixed lot with no hiccups.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    oli700 likes this.
  5. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

Love my VCS

Thanks for the informative post