• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Failure to Feed and eject out of the box

scottbach

Copper BB
Hi all,

First off, I'm a pistol guy and a novice to shotguns! I'm guessing that says allot in and of itself. LOL
That said, I couldn't resist purchasing the 930 SPX, it's an impressive piece of hardware. So... Today is my first time shooting it; I purchased it new in November 2014 but the Michigan weather hasn't been so inclined to outdoor shooting. I was attempting to shoot Federal 2.75" #8 Shot for target practice. #1 I was not able to load the advertised number of shells, it only allowed me to load 5 and once, 6. #2 After the first shot, it would either not eject or stove pipe. #3 the action doesn't go fully forward, I need to push forward on the charging handle to get it fully forward. #4 Obviously it won't feed since it won't eject. Every shot, not just a fluke occurrence. Several people looked at it at the range and couldn't offer an explanation. Only if I load one shell will it eject then lock open. I can't believe it is broken, perhaps I didn't reassemble it correctly after initial cleaning?? Any thoughts??

CLEEEEeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn it WELL first. And i ain't talking about only the barrel.

THE most common issue I have seen is owners failing to clean the factory goo out of the weapon before firing it. When using lube, too much is as bad as too little.

Welcome aboard.

Unfortunately, this is a common issue with the SPX and other 930 models with the 20" and shorter barrels. The gas system was designed around the longer field barrels. With less barrel length for the shot and wad to travel through after it passes the gas port, the system can have difficulty building up enough gas pressure to fully cycle the bolt. These models are very sensitive to low velocity and low mass loads. This is a consistent occurrence with new shotguns that in most cases gets better once the shotgun goes through an initial break in period. Using higher velocity loads in the 1300fps and up range and or ammo with greater mass like 00 buck and slugs will help break in the action should yield an improvement in the cycling issues. I'd clean it well as suggested above and then run a LOT of 00 buck through the action to loosen things up. If that doesn't do it, there are other options.

Here's a bit of reading on the issue with a lot of member feedback and some potential solutions...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...history-but-bright-future-of-the-930-spx.291/

Here's a review I put up recently on a new aftermarket part from OR3GUN that has solved the problem for my 18.5" 930 Tactical...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...cer-tube-competition-model.13823/#post-185076

I appreciate the insight and recommendations and, of course, the lack of "newbie" bashing which, I may in fact be deserving of as I did a cursory cleaning at best. I will clean with great vigor and bump up to some 00 buck. Should this continue to be an issue, I shall re-post. In the mean time, it appears I have some reading to do. Thanks Lazy Eye and Mike T.

No worries, glad to help.

We're a different kind of group here. Our purpose is to support fellow firearm owners and to encourage those new to the brand or firearms in general. We were all new at one point or another and we gather here to pass on the knowledge and experience we've gained along the way. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help...

As far as not taking the advertised amount of shells goes, not all 2 3/4 inch shells and actually 2 3/4 inches. Most are a little short, or a little long. Something I learned using the XRail which is very picky on length. You likely had shells that were a little long.

Last edited:
Well... That does make sense. I did notice the shell appeared to consume the entire receiving chamber while I was attempting to remove the spent shell lodged there in. I thought the MB 930 could also accommodate 3" shells? Wouldn't those FTE as well?

If you're looking for some inexpensive 00 buckshot to run through it, this is a good deal: Link

A case of this should get it broken in really well.

I will certainly give the "Estate" a shot, no pun intended, or was it! So... It could be the lack of energy from the Federal shells I was attempting to shoot in conjunction with a shorter barrel length not capturing sufficient gas to cycle and possibly compounded by shell length? Much to consider.

As far as not taking the advertised amount of shells goes, not all 2 3/4 inch shells and actually 2 3/4 inches. Most are a little short, or a little long. Something I learned using the XRail which is very picky on length. You likely had shells that were a little long.

RIO and Brenneke are a couple that are on the long side. Has to do with the type of crimp (star or roll). Roll crimp is usually longer. I can only get 7 (2.75" nominal) of either of those in my 8 shell Mariner magazine.:(;)

Last edited:
Back