• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FC/HD Ammo vs. Barrel Work

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I was thinking out loud on someone else’s thread and decided to start one on the subject.

My favorite ammo place finally posted info about the ammo price increase. As far as I can tell it is only affecting domestic choices but I’m still not 100% on that. I buy ammo in bulk and in SG shells its 250 00B and 250 slugs usually. Before hearing of the price hike a couple of months ago my next 250 was going to be flight control. Right now I can get 250 for 195 shipped $.78 Ea. I can get Rio for 120 shipped $.48 Ea. After a quick talk with them they said they weren’t sure but think 250 of the flight control might be around $200 before shipping while the Rio will remain the same price. 20 years ago 00 was cheap, It depresses me to think what it will be 10 years from now

Enough is enough for me and have been considering barrel work effective in tightening patterns…..even open to chokes. Ammo prices aren’t getting cheaper and probably won’t be so the barrel work is sounding better and better …..Maybe I should look into reloading but that gets spendy between equipment and material to make nice FC clones

I would like to hear your thoughts

Reloading isnt too bad for SG shells. Even to clone FliteControl should be reasonable. The cost is significantly less upfront compared to reloading brass.

The barrel work boast amazing results effectively tightening patterns/expanding range. The lengthened forcing cone and back boring was (as far as I have heard) designed with FC loads in mind.

My self personally, I'll save and get the FliteControl until I can get the reloading stuff I want including the FC wad.

I'd like to have the barrel work done too! ;)

Rossignol said:
Reloading isnt too bad for SG shells. Even to clone FliteControl should be reasonable. The cost is significantly less upfront compared to reloading brass.

The barrel work boast amazing results effectively tightening patterns/expanding range. The lengthened forcing cone and back boring was (as far as I have heard) designed with FC loads in mind.

My self personally, I'll save and get the FliteControl until I can get the reloading stuff I want including the FC wad.

I'd like to have the barrel work done too! ;)

So have you seen a FC taken apart ? is all the magic in the wad ? wondering if the BBs have a jacket

Yep, I have seen the FC wad/shot cup. When my daughter and I were doin our 00 tests, she recovered the FC wads from 3 of our 4 stations. You can see them in my vidoes, but NiteSite also had pics of the wad.

The wad and shot cup are one piece. The shot cup is deep enough for all the pellets to fit into. By comparison, the Winchester Super X for example, is little more than a saucer shaped dish deep enough to hold a drop of water. The wad (again one piece with the shot cup) has petal like fins that flare out after it leaves the muzzle. What they dont do is open the way a traditional shot cup does with the fins in front that open like a flower to strip the cup away immediately after leaving the muzzle. The FC wad is like that, but in reverse. The fins dont open into the wind so to speak, rather they act as a drag in the wind. The result is the shot stays together much longer after leaving the muzzle. And in my testing at least, I found an FC wad/shot cup embedded in my 25 yard target with one of the 00 buck pellets still in the shot cup and the pattern was about 3" square. The FC wad turns conventional 00 buck into a precision load as dubbed by NiteSite.

So, hopefully answering your question, I think the magic is in the FC wad/shot cup combo! ;)

copy, so straight up lead shot, no copper jacket? I currently load brass. I have loaded tons of shells for my grandpa when i was a kid. It was simple enough to set me in front of it for hours loading his clay shells but I dont know anything about set up. I have seen 00 Buck molds and also have an 80lbs lead ingot

Well, the FC load is copper plated. I for got that part. The shot doesnt deform as easily, so that is like a factor, though the shot is also fully contained in the FC wad through the barrel.

Rossignol said:
Well, the FC load is copper plated. I for got that part. The shot doesnt deform as easily, so that is like a factor, though the shot is also fully contained in the FC wad through the barrel.

So far can’t figure out what’s harder to find the copper plated 00 shot or the Federal FC wads. I can find nickel plated 00 buck all day but no copper plate. In fact Speer is the only company I can find that even offered it at one time. I can find tons of Federal wads but nothing like the FC wad you described. I found a shotgunners reloading book form 2005 saying copper plated 00 shot in pretty much not available in ’05….You know where to get some of the supplies ? ……sounds like you’ve looked into it before

I havent seen the FC wad yet available for reloading. The copper plated... weird, cuz I hadnt even thought to look for those yet. I looked into powder and 00. I think the nickel plated would work maybe?

Yeah Hornady is where I was looking when I was comparing powder.

m24shooter said:
FC wads are proprietary and were licensed to Federal and Hornady only. You won't find them as components.

Darnit man. Whadda buzz kill. I was kinda hoping to purchase them from Hornady or Federal from their reloading lines when I purchased powder.

Back