• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal American Eagle 7.62x51 M1A OTM Match

Woo Hoo a reason to buy a M1A!! :D But then I'm sure it would love the Savage 10, too!! Thanks for the heads up!

Yes Sir, you're welcome.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this stuff prints out to 500yd...

I'd be scoring a 200 round case but the Cabela's card isn't paid off from the last spending spree!!
money-3.gif

Understood.

They're also selling 20rd boxes for $18.95 if you're just wanting to try some...

Hi, L.E.S.~

I'd sure give it a GO.

The GM308M Gold Medal Match 168 SMK is 2650 @ muzzle with a Ballistic Coefficient of 0.462 and @ 500 yards is calculated to clock at 1775-fps.

The A76251M1A 168 OTM is 2650 @ muzzle with a Ballistic Coefficient of 0.46 and @ 500 yards is also calculated to clock at 1775-fps.

IMO there is NOTHING that beats GM308M from a good .308 Winchester rifle using factory loaded ammo. But Dayum ~~~~ this A76251M1A sure looks like it'll put you right in the same ballpark, maybe a half MOA diffence simply because of the bullet is (maybe) not a Sierra.

That's what I'm thinking too nite.

I'd much rather have picked up a couple hundred rounds of GMM, but the specs on this stuff looked close enough to me and the price was right. I'll be sure to post up my results on target when I'm able to send a few down range...

The case of OTM Match arrived yesterday.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend and send a few. I'll report back on how it performs...

I really hope it shoots just like the FGGM. Or so damn close that you like the fact that you bought a bunch.

Man, I have some fun stories about shooting the .308 Win M1A all week!

I'm hoping so too, but we'll see.

Even if it only turns out consistent 1 MOA, I'll still be happy with buying the case. The FGGM is so damn good for precision I hate shooting steel with it. We have a series steel poppers on the 500 berm in decreasing sizes from about 10" down to 3". Running the entire set without a miss is a real challenge even with good ammo. I'm looking forward to hearing about your week with the M1A...

L.E.S. have you had a chance to shoot this yet? Been looking forward to your review, and how it compares to your preferred ammo

Oh crap, I coulda swore I posted about this already.

Only had a chance to get out with it once so far and it was grouping 3"- 4" @ 300yd out of my 20" Remy 700. Not bad, but the rifle puts up groups half that size with Fed. 168gr Gold Medal Match. I need to get back out and shoot some side-by-side groups with both rounds for comparison. Good news is that I've been able to find the FGMM on shelves lately, so I have plenty of ammo for punching clovers...

At forty bucks a box of twenty I am glad to hear that you have "plenty" of FGMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is that even possible????? :)

When I bought the Fal, I came across a few 500 round boxes of Lake City 7.62x51 XM80 (149 gr I think???) for $294 at trop gun store (Penn.) and grabbed a box or two.

I've heard a lot of people say to avoid the 168 gr in the Fal for some reason, though I don't know why, but it shoots the 150'ish really well.

Finally got a chance to spend a few hours at the range with the .308 this morning...

Wind and weather were calm, was a great day for it...

All 20 impacts left of center are 168gr Fed. AE 762.51 M1A OTM Match, all 20 right of center are 168gr Fed. Gold Medal Match. All rounds sent from 300yd out.

...oh, and @oli700 those are 5 round groups just for you... ;)

Tightest group with the OTM was 1.26". Widest was 1.64"...

Best with the GMM measured .42", widest was .77"...

I was able to squeeze a better performance out of the M1A OTM Match compared to the first time out with it (reads - I finally did my part) and while it's definitely much better than a lot of comparatively priced factory ammo out there, the Gold Medal Match with Sierra MatchKing projos still has it beat hands down...

Back