• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal American Eagle 7.62x51 M1A OTM Match

That's some fantastic shootin'. And a very nice looking machine to launch them with too.

Thank you Sir, I love this rifle.

That was 4 hours worth of shoot'n, but there are much worse ways to start the day...

All credit belongs to the ammo.

The Fed. Gold Medal Match puts up some truly unbelievable results and I can't do this with any other round I've used so far. Most other factory loads I have tried spread out to anywhere from 3"-6" at the same distance. I drove myself completely nuts when I started shooting bolt guns, especially the .308 because I couldn't get any kind of consistent groups. Started researching external ballistics and especially thermodynamics and I got better but still wasn't until I bought that first box of 168gr Gold Medal Match that the angels finally started singing and I finally began feeling like I wasn't just out there wasting time and ammo...

You are far too modest. Even 3-6 inch groups is very respectable at that distance, but getting them touching, is skill, even with perfect hand loads in a vise.

I'll be honest, I have only shot 3 different brand ammo out of my fal so far, and the one that I expected would perform the least consistently, has been better than the other two by a very noticeable difference.

The steel case wolf 308 has done the best for me, while the Federal lake city xm80 is plenty good enough for just about anything and putting meat on the table, but the Turkish ZQ1 ammo that I bought at walmart looks more like a shotgun pattern than a rifle group.

Everything I have been told in my Fal is to keep the ammo below 150gr. But then again, I've heard the same with M1's and the likes too because of gas pressure, despite the fal having an adjustable gas return. So to play it safe, I've stuck with the lightweight stuff, and besides, mines' more of an old war horse than a bonafide match rifle, so I'm pleasantly satisfied with it's performance. Either way, I don't think either of us is going to starve anytime soon. But I've already made a mental note not to place bets going up with you side by side LOL

Haha, you're too kind John.

If you handed me your FAL or an M1A I'd have a hard time getting on paper. Hell, with the Hubble telescope I have mounted on my rifle 300yd looks pretty damn close. The 1:10" AAC 20" heavy barrel on mine seems to be ideal for the 168-175 grainers out to 300. The shorter heavy barrel is a good compromise between the gain in rigidity and a loss in muzzle velocity and is well suited for itermediate distance.

Move out to 500yd and things start to get squirelly. I'm still working on that...

For 300 yards those are very respectable groups. I'm gonna have to get a box to try myself. If they hold that good I'll stock up.

Don't have an M1A yet.

This Federal ammo just happens to be branded "M1A Match". Sent these rounds down range from my Remy 700 bench rig...

rem_7013.jpg

So what kinda groups do you get if you throw that Monster drink away???. I'm a Full Throttle drinker myself but it screws up my shooting, took most of a summer to figure that out o_O

Without the energy drink I wouldn't even be out there. I usually press off my first shot at around 6am. I'm up at 5am to load the truck and it's a 45 minute drive to the range, so the liquid motivation is a must...

Back