• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal LE Hydra-Shok slug, Winchester WinLite slug and more

Just wanted to go ahead and get this thread started. I'm still waiting on the Federal and Winchester Ranger OO Buck to arrive. Picked up a box of the Winchester WinLite reduced recoil slugs today just to test them out. I'll be editing this post when the rest arrive and I get to test them all out.

If there are any certain things you want to see from this test, chime in. Distances, penetration, anything just let me know and I'll try to get some results.

Winchester WinLite Reduced Recoil
2 3/4" 1200FPS 1oz rifled HP slug
IMG_1650.jpg

Federal Premium LE Hydra-Shok Slug (Reduced Recoil)

Winchester Ranger OO Buck

Re: Federal LE Hydra-Shok slug, Winchester WinLite slug and

Awesome! Cant wait man, cant wait!

I bought some slugs too, and will soon give them a try. My first thought is to shoot them into the 1 sq ft creosote pilings I use for my range backstop (I have a range at the house) and measure the depth of the hole to see how many inches they penetrate. This may not be too scientific and actually proves nothing, but might offer a comparison.

Why does UPS decide to come to my house last? It's been beautiful ALL day long and now there's a storm rolling in and they still haven't came by yet. lol

JSDinTexas said:
I bought some slugs too, and will soon give them a try. My first thought is to shoot them into the 1 sq ft creosote pilings I use for my range backstop (I have a range at the house) and measure the depth of the hole to see how many inches they penetrate. This may not be too scientific and actually proves nothing, but might offer a comparison.

I think you'll find that any 1-oz slug you shoot into those pilings is going to stop at a very similar depth. You might re-think that idea and come up with another more illustrative method. Boxes filled with packed wet newspaper? Lots of old wet telephone books? A sheet of particle board cut into stackable squares? A square hay bale that you can peel end layers away as you look for depth after shooting six slugs into it endwise? A cardboard box compactor cube you can "peel the onion" on?

goosebob said:
Why does UPS decide to come to my house last? It's been beautiful ALL day long and now there's a storm rolling in and they still haven't came by yet. lol

Anything I order that comes UPS doesn't get to me until 6:30-7:00pm sometimes, 6:00pm I consider early anymore!!!

Fedex, by 11am I have my package..

DaveinCT said:
goosebob said:

Anything I order that comes UPS doesn't get to me until 6:30-7:00pm sometimes, 6:00pm I consider early anymore!!!

Fedex, by 11am I have my package..

Yeah, Fedex is usually ALOT earlier than UPS for me too. Sometimes UPS will surprise me though and show up early.

Hopefully will get a chance to test them out tomorrow.

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

And for both slugs being 1oz, the Federal sure feels lighter than the Winchester slugs.
IMG_1658.jpg

Didn't really do an in depth test of these rounds (not yet anyway) but I did go out and have a little fun with them.

I'll go ahead and share the pictures and videos I got but I'll save a better write up for later.

All shots were fired from about 10 to 15 yards.

Nothing outrageous for a target.
IMG_1670.jpg

The Federal and Winchester slugs went through this like butter (as expected). You can see the holes in the pallet as well. The half circle on the plank with the shade was from the Winchester I believe, while the one below it (above the cracked hole) was the Federal.
IMG_1672.jpg

Here's the video of the first two shots.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aFTTVJHOw8[/youtube]

I was able to locate one of the slugs burried in the dirt behind the target.
IMG_1673.jpg

The Ranger OO buck shot well out of the 590. Recoil was noticebly lighter than my full power loads. I didn't attempt to pattern it out yet because the area where I'm shooting is still pretty wet from the recent storms. It did finish the board though.
IMG_1677.jpg

I decided to try and find something else to test the Federal slugs out on. I was wanting a bigger, less wet stump of wood, but this would do for now. Here's the video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IClwHQiQX_M[/youtube]

I stopped recording before flipping the small log over to see the damage to the back, but as you could imagine, it was awesome :laughing:

It shredded the door as well and burried itself DEEP into the ground beind the door.

IMG_1680.jpg

Nice work Goose! I havent tried to test slugs for penetration, but that was pretty cool to see the slug go through the stump and still go through the car door! I would have thought it would deform first, even with the wood being damp.

Thanks for sharing! It is amazing how far slugs penetrate through objects. I really enjoy lining up stuff and seeing the slug blast through them all. Looks like you had some fun testing these loads.

Rossignol said:
Nice work Goose! I havent tried to test slugs for penetration, but that was pretty cool to see the slug go through the stump and still go through the car door! I would have thought it would deform first, even with the wood being damp.

It surprised me as well that it still held it's shape pretty good. I'm going to really test them out next time. I'm not sure what all I'll have in store for it, but I want to see just how good these penetrate.

Also, there were a bunch of wasp in that area today and they kept flying on the door and the plywood and crawling into the holes. I had one round of bird shot left and waited for one to land on plywood. Don't know if I got him, but he was gone as soon as it hit...I like to think they he exploded. :lol:

DHonovich said:
Thanks for sharing! It is amazing how far slugs penetrate through objects. I really enjoy lining up stuff and seeing the slug blast through them all. Looks like you had some fun testing these loads.

Fun indeed! I'll make sure to get video and pictures when I really test them out to see how well they penetrate.

Oh yeah, did one of you guys change my youtube links so they would embed? Because I haven't figured out how to do that on this board yet. And they were just links at first.

Yea I went ahead and embedded them for you. If you go and edit your post you will see the code to use. There is a "youtube" button all the way to the right when posting. It is the same way you post the pictures except it uses the "youtube" button instead of the "img" button.

Well I'll be damned...has that button always been there? :lol:
Thanks. :mrgreen:

Yea its been there for a while but it is certainly overlooked a lot.

I really enjoy reading and watching these reports. My respect for slugs has gone up from seeing this. Guess I'll have to get more creative in my shooting as nitesite suggested. :D

Back