1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Federal Shorty Ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by Scooby, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Scooby

Scooby .22LR

I noted that Federal has started to market their version of the 1 3/4 " minishells. I have had good luck with the Aguilla brand. In fact, they are all I keep in my Shockwave for home defense.

Has anyone had a chance to try the Federals? The Aguilla shells can be hard to come by and tend to be a little pricey. Plus, while I have no problem with their performance, they seem to shoot "dirty" and make cleaning the gun more of a chore.
    meanstreak likes this.
  2. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .30-06 Supporter

Grab A Gun has Aguila for about the best price I`ve seen. under $15 for a box of 20 and shipping is a flat $12.99

https://grabagun.com/search/?q=aguila minishell

I haven`t tried the Frederal mini shells but I`m a fan of Federal ammo so I`ll give `em try when I find them...
    meanstreak and John A. like this.
  3. I Love Guns

I Love Guns Copper BB

What gun are you running the shortshells in? Are you using an adapter.

I like the Federals just fine, but they need the adapter to feed right. I have the OPSol2, and it's a good product. 12+1 is nice in a 590.
    meanstreak likes this.
  4. Scooby

Scooby .22LR

I'm running the short shells in a shockwave. I use the OPSOL adapter. To me, it makes a perfect home defense weapon. I'm still using the Aguila shells. I stocked up during the holidays. Now I'm glad I did, given recent events.

To be honest, none of the local gun shops nor the big box stores have had the Federal short shells.
    meanstreak likes this.
  5. Scooby

Scooby .22LR

I'm using the Aguila shells in a Shockwave. I use an OPSOL adapter. It makes a fantastic home defense gun.
    I stocked up on the Aguila shells during the holidays and, given recent events, I'm glad I did.

To be honest, none of the local gun shops nor the big box stores have had the Federal shells in stock.
    meanstreak likes this.
  6. I Love Guns

I Love Guns Copper BB

I got my Federals at my local Cabela's, but they don't always have them in stock. IME, I don't really see a downside for HD other than pellet count.
    meanstreak likes this.
  7. XLntShot

XLntShot .22LR

I've shot the Federal Shorty (with adapter) in my 590a1 for function test. IMO, they don't shoot any cleaner than the Aguila shells.
    meanstreak likes this.
  8. Southern Gorilla

Southern Gorilla Copper BB

I got a box of the Federals and an Opsol spacer when I bought my 500 the other week. It was all the ammo they had left. I haven't had a chance to try them out though. I've been tempted to see how they feed, but cycling live ammo in the house isn't my idea of fun.
    meanstreak likes this.
  9. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

Maybe you can save the spent shells and make some dummies out of them--fill them with concrete or something?
    meanstreak likes this.
  10. Southern Gorilla

Southern Gorilla Copper BB

Not sure I plan to run them regularly. Just bought them because weird ammo is better than no ammo.
    meanstreak likes this.