• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal Vital Shok and Federal Power Shok

catnphx

.270 WIN
Well, a few days ago I made it to the range to FINALLY shoot my 590A1 that sports an 18 1/2 inch barrel and it was a glorious experience. I’m a handgun guy and I haven’t shot a shotgun since I was much younger ... perhaps 30 years ago?? The 590A1 is a devastating weapon for HD and I'm very excited for it's potential to protect the family but I need ammo that is consistent. Anyway, I went to Sportsman Warehouse to look for some good HD ammo and came to the range with two that seemed ready for a test drive:

- Federal Premium Vital Shok 12 Gauge 9 Pellet 00 Buckshot
- Federal Power Shok 12 Gauge 9 Pellet 00 Buckshot

First, let me say that my shoulder is hurting and I went to the range 3 days ago. :oops: I’ve got no pictures so I’ll have to describe what happened. I only shot 10 rounds of the Federal Vital Shok and 5 rounds of the Federal Power Shok ... this all occurred at 10 yards out, which is pretty much my longest shot in the house.

Vital Shok - My first 10 rounds where of this ammo. The majority of the hole from each shot was 1”-2” in diameter ... it beautiful sight to behold but it seemed that several times 1 pellet would find it’s way about 9”-12" off the original point of contact. Not a major concern but this inconsistency gives me some pause considering I have kids and I can’t afford any errant pellets.

Power Shok – This ammo also made a 1”-2” diameter hole but it seem to have more inconsistency and errant shots than the Vital Shok. 1 pellet from each shot always found it’s way 9”-12" from the original point of contact.

Bottom Line - Before I use my 590A1 for HD, I’ll find some better ammo that I can absolutely trust ... one that has no errant shots. If I had to choose between the two for HD ammo without kids, I’d pick the Federal Premium Vital Shok. Neither were bad but the Vital Shok had less errant pellets than the Power Shok. I’ll continue my search for a more consistent 12 gauge round. Today, I’m heading over to Cabela’s to look for some different ammo.

But before I shoot it again, I’ve got to let me shoulder heal ... the old body ain’t what it used to be.
:cry:

Thats really interesting to hear about the strays from these. Do you have the part #'s for either of these and are they the full power loads? The PowerShok I believe is in a blue box?

Makes me wanna try these out!

Sounds like the low recoil stuff may work for you.

Preciate your review!

Thanks for sharing your review. I look forward to hearing about other brands of 00 buck.

Rossignol said:
Thats really interesting to hear about the strays from these. Do you have the part #'s for either of these and are they the full power loads? The PowerShok I believe is in a blue box?

Makes me wanna try these out!

Sounds like the low recoil stuff may work for you.

Preciate your review!

The Power Shok is the blue box; maximum with a muz velocity of 1325 FPS; 2 3/4" shell ... # F127 00

The Vital Shok is the red box; maximum with a muz velocity of 1325 FPS; 2 3/4" shell ... # P154 00

Today, I went to both Cabela's and back to Sportsman Warehouse (Sportsman seems to have the best selection) and picked up the following:

- Winchester Supreme Hi-Velocity (1450 FPS) 9 pellet 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot (# SB1200)
- Federal Premium Pers. Defense (1145 FPS) 9 pellet 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot w/ FliteControl Wad (# PD132 00)
- Remington Express (1325 FPS) 9 pellet 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot (# 12B00)

I did see 1 box of the Power Shok in low recoil today but I chose not to get it. I'm excited to try the Federal Personal Defense w/ FliteControl Wad ... that is what I've been looking for and I think the wad will keep my grouping tighter with fewer errant pellets. At a later date (when my shoulder heals), I'll try the new shells and give a report. I may have to order my SG shells online but I'd rather not.

catnphx said:
- Federal Premium Pers. Defense (1145 FPS) 9 pellet 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot w/ FliteControl Wad (# PD132 00)

This is the same as the Federal Tactical LE (LE132) that I had been testing, I think you'll like it.

catnphx said:
I may have to order my SG shells online but I'd rather not.

I believe you will find far better prices on things like the PD or LE132 if you go that route, though Cabellas has pretty decent prices I'm told. I have seen as much as $8 for a box of 5 in some places, online as little as $3.65 a box, and at gun shows around $3.50 a box.

Rossignol said:
catnphx said:

This is the same as the Federal Tactical LE (LE132) that I had been testing, I think you'll like it.

Sweet!! I was wanting to try the Federal Tactical rounds because of your testing. I'm betting these will be a keeper and the ones I finally load in my gun!!

Cool, Let us know how it goes for you!

Also, if you square up behind the stock real well, you wont have any issues with the recoil of these and there will be significantly less recovery time! Like two seconds tops between ejecting one shell, chambering the next, and aquiring the next target! ;)

Try the Winchester Supreme elite it has a slug and 3 Double ought pellets, and the kicks not bad, which means better follow up shot.

catnphx said:
Well, a few days ago I made it to the range to FINALLY shoot my 590A1 that sports an 18 1/2 inch barrel and it was a glorious experience. I’m a handgun guy and I haven’t shot a shotgun since I was much younger ... perhaps 30 years ago?? But before I shoot it again, I’ve got to let me shoulder heal ... the old body ain’t what it used to be.
:cry:

Since it's been a while perhaps you forgot a couple simple rules about shooting a shotgun with hard-hitting ammo in it.

(1) raise your elbow up slightly above 90-degrees which rolls a large muscle over your shoulder and greatly softens recoil against the bone structure. To see what I mean, let your arm hang at your side and with the other hand press against the forward/top of your shoulder where the buttstock goes. While pressing, bend your arm in a "V" and raise your elbow until you feel the muscle slide upwards under your fingertips.

(2) Never bench rest a shotgun and lean into the gun from a seated position when shooting slugs and full-power buck or turkey loads. Stand or kneel and let your torso rock back or flex with the recoil. Staying rigid in place can be teeth-jarring.

Respectfully,
Dave

(1) raise your elbow up slightly above 90-degrees which rolls a large muscle over your shoulder and greatly softens recoil against the bone structure. To see what I mean, let your arm hang at your side and with the other hand press against the forward/top of your shoulder where the buttstock goes. While pressing, bend your arm in a "V" and raise your elbow until you feel the muscle slide upwards under your fingertips.
This really does work.

Back