• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FINALLY FINISHED: Crafting wood furniture for a Mossberg 590 Shockwave

This is where the shockwave is in its' own little area.

And the area leaves very little with no room to wiggle.

If it ever had a BUTTSTOCK, then it can't be shortened to below 18 inches, else it would turn it into an SBS. Barrel length is in the federal regs.

As for pistol gripped shotguns, it could depend on how Mossberg recorded the listing they have to provide the feds, and if you bought it new, could also depend on how the FFL transferred it to you.

On the 4473, the 3 choices are long gun, handgun and receiver/other.

In the case of the shockwave, it should be listed as other on the background check and also in the FFL's acquisition and disposition book because it is neither a long gun (shoulder fired), a handgun (pistol--also nothing above .500" caliber are allowed in handguns) and the only thing that would fit the FIREARM is "other".

So, there's really a pretty narrow path that the shockwaves pass legal scrutiny. It's not just whether the gun only had a pistol grip or not.

Hmmm, my recollection was that even before they were factory made options, that anything that came from the factory as a PGO firearm, remington or mossberg, regardless of barrel length, was sold as being PGO, never having had a stock, and therefore was not a shotgun, and these were the ones you could convert yourself before the factory started producing them.

Yes, but like I said, it depends a lot on how they were papered from the factory.

The JIC series of pistol gripped shotguns for instance, I'm not entirely certain were papered as "other".

Actually, "other" wasn't even an option until after around 2009 or so.

I remember getting an open letter from ATF when I had my FFL's of how they wanted the 4473's filled out for AR15 receivers, and pistol (frame only), etc.

https://www.atf.gov/file/60686/download

Ahhh, gotcha. Makes sense that at whatever period in time they may not have been classified as such. Interesting. Anyway, this one is!

So, I'm gonna leave the grip as it is. I dunno if maybe my paranoia will go away at some point, but right now, for whatever reason, I dont want to get any parts that were or could be construed as a stock, and I will keep it just with the shochwave grip.

I cleaned up the leatherwork, I trimmed the edges.

Untitled by Andrew M, on Flickr

Then I did a little hand burnishing on the edges, rounded the areas near the rivets so it didn't "bunch up" when tightened down, and while I was out today I grabbed some brass screws, and thought some brass finishing washers would look great with this, or whatever other military style sling I put on the gun.

Untitled by Andrew M, on Flickr

I applied my favorite wood finish Minwax Antique Oil Finish, to the areas that I stained after sanding. The whole front, and then the insides of the upper edges. The stain matched pretty darn well, and now its sealed up.
Untitled
Untitled

Then I swapped the tiny brass bead for this larger one, I kinda want a big brass one, but I havent been able to find any
Untitled

Anyway, I have a heat shield on the way, some other stuff. But I think that does it for the stocks right now. I'm going to leave the rear birds head as is, just wrapped with cloth tape.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I feel like it really needs a gold trigger from an older 500.
Untitled

I have a Mossberg Maverick. 18" barrel that was made with the pistol grip. Can I legally replace the pistol grip with the Raptor/Birdhead?
Can I legally replace it with a shoulder stock?

Doc, you do beautiful work. Going with brass hardware is a lovely touch. I hope you decide to make a wood grip. It would add a great deal to what you have done. The pearl front sight is classy too, however, a large brass one would look good.
I looked for the black (self stick) medical cloth to wrap my grip, but could not find black. Is that what you are using?

Last edited:
I have a Mossberg Maverick. 18" barrel that was made with the pistol grip. Can I legally replace the pistol grip with the Raptor/Birdhead?

Yes to both. Long as you keep the 18 inch barrel.

Yes and yes because as long as the barrel is 18" it doesn't matter if it has a pistol grip or stock. However if you add a stock technically you made it into a shotgun (assuming it was originally a 'firearm') and can never have a shorter barrel

Doc, you do beautiful work. Going with brass hardware is a lovely touch. I hope you decide to make a wood grip. It would add a great deal to what you have done. The pearl front sight is classy too, however, a large brass one would look good.
I looked for the black (self stick) medical cloth to wrap my grip, but could not find black. Is that what you are using?

No that self stick stuff fails in short order i used some on the handle of a tool box once.

go to home depot and get some friction tape, or go to a sporting goods store and get some hockey tape, or go get some gaffers tape. They are all cloth tape with an adhesive back. I THINK mine is just hockey tape, I don't remember where I got it it was just in the garage.

Thanks.
After a quick search on the items you listed, I ordered some hockey tape. Sounds like it is more grippy.

Last edited:
One of these vintage engraved bolts along with a gold trigger would look stellar in your 590 shockwave.
wm_9642609.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mos...961460?hash=item465de46b34:g:9l0AAOSwjDZYeRQ0
Here is a matching engraved lifter for your bolt if your purchase did not come with one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSSBERG-MO...505011?hash=item2f08e233b3:g:OpMAAOSwJhFZh61v
Here is also a gold trigger assembly as well.

This has me thinking, I have somewhat limited knowledge on the 500's and 590's, i know pretty much everything interchanges between the two, and I understand that the major difference in the overall shotguns by age is the single vs. dual action bars. From my knowledge of the inner workings of the action, it seems the only thing that matters for the dual vs. single action bar (other than the reciever and actual action tube) is the bolt slide under the bolt itself.

That being said, I noticed in perusing parts availablity, there are "new style" and "old style" bolt slides. I then looked deeper and noticed there are "new style" and "old style" bolt locks, which the slide interacts with. Further adding to this, I have seen both new and old style bolt slides, for both single and dual action bars. Then, there's the firing pin that interacts with the old and new style stuff as well, and either does, or does not have a firing pin spring. The one I purchased has a floating firing pin, which means the pin is forward unless its resting on the primer. Also, this means the bolt lock is not sprung in the "up" position permanently, and it relies SOLELY on the bolt slide to elevate it upward into a locked position.

Either way, given the parts availability, it stands to reason that one could cobble together any combination of the parts they needed for an old style bolt in a new dual action bar gun, or however.

But. From what I see, it appears as though the bolt bodies themselves, for the 12 gauge at lease, are unchanged. So, here's my question:

Can the guts of my bolt fit into the vintage engraved bolt I ordered, or do I need to see what type of bolt lock it has, and order a bolt slide that is either new or old style, for a double bar action?

thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure but by looks of things the bolt housing looks to be the same to me as well and I would assume unchanged by design. Internals from a new bolt should fit but again I am not 100% sure on this without having both to compare side by side. As you have already found there were older rocker type bolts that did not having firing pin springs and then the newer current model with firing pin springs. Other then that I haven't found any real functional differences from looking things up. Assuming it has all the same holes to accept the pins to retain the extractors and firing pin and barrel lock; all of those parts correspond together and the proper bolts slide to accommodate your dual actions bars and the only old part being the bolt housing. That would lead me to believe the same as you and the newer bolt internals should fit. I'm sorry my answer isn't concrete but at the very least it validates how you came to your conclusion because I see it the same way you do. Unless we are both missing something here. The only way to know 100% is to just give mossberg a ring and ask them. Sorry I couldn't be of more help then that.

I'm not 100% sure but by looks of things the bolt housing looks to be the same to me as well and I would assume unchanged by design. Internals from a new bolt should fit but again I am not 100% sure on this without having both to compare side by side. As you have already found there were older rocker type bolts that did not having firing pin springs and then the newer current model with firing pin springs. Other then that I haven't found any real functional differences from looking things up. Assuming it has all the same holes to accept the pins to retain the extractors and firing pin and barrel lock; all of those parts correspond together and the proper bolts slide to accommodate your dual actions bars and the only old part being the bolt housing. That would lead me to believe the same as you and the newer bolt internals should fit. I'm sorry my answer isn't concrete but at the very least it validates how you came to your conclusion because I see it the same way you do. Unless we are both missing something here. The only way to know 100% is to just give mossberg a ring and ask them. Sorry I couldn't be of more help then that.

It seems to me that there is a "kinda old kinda new" situation too, as a ton of the older bolts I see on ebay have the new short bolt lock, but they do not have a spring and they have the old fat floating firing pin. This further supports that these parts most likely work together

Well I'm torn on the next step. Since this gun is going "classy" now, I'm torn on the heat shield.

I think the blued heat shield looks great, adding a bit of polished finish to the gun which plays well with the wood and brass and the proposed engraved bolt....

but at the same time, it's a heat shield, which while nicely blued, is a more "utilitarian" type of addition. I dont know if it adds to, or detracts from the "classy" look. I think the blued heat shield is by far the better option as it keeps it as classy as possible. I'm really on the line with this one.

The cool thing, however, is that I'm pretty sure I can mount this up with little difficulty and get it secure. Brass screws and nuts would look awesome on the front of it, and I could drill and tap the shield for an enlarged brass bead.

thoughts? I just rested it on the gun to get a feel for the appearance.
IMG_0872
IMG_0871

Back