• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FINALLY FINISHED: Crafting wood furniture for a Mossberg 590 Shockwave

I think you should do it, and if you don't like it, you can take it off. It's got a "classy gansta" look with the heat shield. :ganster:

Al Capone was a classy dresser. (note the Stogie)
Al Capone.jpg

Last edited:
So, before i go all crazy making a wood grip, i thought i'd try cheating. I found some conformable vinyl that in pictures looks strikingly similar to the color and grain of my fore end. If i can wrap some or all of the grip and get half way decent results, I can actually apply a finish over the vinyl, and, i'm thinking about a flat leather lace wrap, or a gutted brown paracord wrap on the grip, and that would tie it all together quite well :)

I'll be looking for your vinyl wrap results.
I bought some black cowhide, embossed in alligator to wrap my grip. There are a lot of curves to deal with. I'm hoping applying heat will help.

I'll be looking for your vinyl wrap results.
I bought some black cowhide, embossed in alligator to wrap my grip. There are a lot of curves to deal with. I'm hoping applying heat will help.

Yeah, my thoughts are if I use a leather lace or strap on some of the grip, in roughly the same area as the grip tape I have now, I will only have to "cleanly" vinyl wrap less than an inch at either end of the grip. I'm just hopeful the vinyl matches the wood I have

I understand. That will make it easier.
I'm thinking of wrapping the gator on the factory corncob also. I not completely sold on the rail I mounted.
Your Shockwave is stunning. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. It's far from finished though. Just wait til i get the heat shield figured out, with some brass hardware....and then the engraved bolt and elevator.....and a gold trigger.... hubba hubba!!!!

I bought this thing all "man, $375? what a deal!!!" Flash forward like $200 in extra bits hahaha

Welcome to the club.

I had a similar concern with my wooden bird's head grip. I pondered it for a while and thought "screw it, I'm going to dremel in some finger grooves." They turned out great because I used my own hand as a stencil. It's a comfortable grip to shoot and it's a great non-slip shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are things coming along for your Alaska trip?
Have you got your other Shockwave back from Cerakote?

How are things coming along for your Alaska trip?
Have you got your other Shockwave back from Cerakote?

I just got the Beez short barrel shotgun scabbard in the mail today. I'm taking it out into the woods tomorrow for a dress rehearsal. Pics to follow. But I can already say it's a winner. Perfect coverage for the trigger guard. Light weight, secure, and simple. Just the kind of thing I wanted for a woods walk. I'll be able to wear it and forget about it all day, unlike a slinged gun or the voodoo scabbard with just a single shoulder strap.

I'm not sure yet, but I believe I'll be able to wear my day-pack (with camel back hydration and all) over the top of the Beez scabbard and still have an unencumbered draw out the top. Re-holstering it will be a challenge, but I figure that if I need to draw it on a bear, I ain't gonna be worried about how easy it is to re-holster.

2nd shockwave will be ready on the 19th. I'm bringing my brother and a few friends on this specific trip, thus the need for a large pelican case. I figure it'll give the airport TSA boys something to talk about in the break room...

3e450dfbcafce55e91faa906338a9aea.jpg

ESSE Knives, Ruger 22/45, two Shockwaves, and a hand cannon...maybe a Smith and Wesson? The compensator on the pistol leaves me puzzled. You travel with good company.
Be sure to take inventory immediately on arrival. I knew of a guy who got to his destination and his rifle was there, but the scope was gone.
I'm glad to hear the scabbard turned out so well. Anxious to see some pictures when you can.
Do you think you need to pack a roll of toilet paper for when you do encounter that bear? Maybe the TSA boys could use it when they open the Pelican.

So it appears that there is an older style ejector as well, that has a slightly different bevel than the new style. I installed the old bolt, and it was a bear to open the action, i fiddled around with it seeing what the issue was, and its definitely the ejector. Looking at pics on ebay it seems clear that there are two different shapes of ejectors.

Could a little bit of sanding open up the channel on the bolt housing fix the issue so it can be used with newer style ejector?

I just got the Beez short barrel shotgun scabbard in the mail today. I'm taking it out into the woods tomorrow for a dress rehearsal. Pics to follow. But I can already say it's a winner. Perfect coverage for the trigger guard. Light weight, secure, and simple. Just the kind of thing I wanted for a woods walk. I'll be able to wear it and forget about it all day, unlike a slinged gun or the voodoo scabbard with just a single shoulder strap.

I'm not sure yet, but I believe I'll be able to wear my day-pack (with camel back hydration and all) over the top of the Beez scabbard and still have an unencumbered draw out the top. Re-holstering it will be a challenge, but I figure that if I need to draw it on a bear, I ain't gonna be worried about how easy it is to re-holster.

2nd shockwave will be ready on the 19th. I'm bringing my brother and a few friends on this specific trip, thus the need for a large pelican case. I figure it'll give the airport TSA boys something to talk about in the break room...

3e450dfbcafce55e91faa906338a9aea.jpg

Goog lookin' Mossy!

not trying to blow my own skirt up but hot damn this is coming out bad ass!!!!

Got some longer 6-32 brass screws and associated hardware, bent them slightly to clear the barrel since this is a mossberg 500 normal barrel heat shroud i modded to fit a heavy barrel, and tightened them down. When installed after I do the bead sight, i will loctite them in place and get it tight. this should keep the shroud from migrating, I hope.

There are some beginning to be some really nice looking shockwaves around here.

Mossberg should take some pointers from you guys.

When you get the chance also add loktite under the front band on the heat shield. It will help keep the shield in place.

It's not often I look at a gun and get a gentle smile of admiration, but, I sure get it with yours. It gives me the warm fuzzies.

Just a thought. Regarding the front bolts, how about black plastic sleeves over the threads so only the brass heads and nuts stand out.
Actually 1/4" fuel line would work better since it would compress a bit, but I don't know if rubber is a good idea. Just thinking out loud.

Back