• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally tweaked the 930SPX a bit... Co-witnessed Fastfire and light mount

I picked up my 930 SPX about a year ago. Took it out a few times to confirm it was working properly. Really happy overall, but it needed a couple items to really be setup perfect IMO.

Info below is just to help anyone who might need it. I'll apologize in advance if its a dupe, I did not find anything specific when I searched

Anyway, I added:
Burris Fastfire 3 - It co-witnesses very well with the the Ghost rings. I think this sight is really gonna work out well for me.
Weapon light - This was a little trickier for me, because I wanted my light to be under the magazine. I didn't want to go with a full railed forearm, as I like the stock forearm just fine. I also didn't feel like buggering up my forearm as I attempted to mount a rail on that.

I found a Rail for a Remington 870, (Streamlight Product# 69906) that did the trick for me. It fits the 930 SPX perfectly and just mounts under the mag extension nut...It puts the light just where I wanted it with no mods to the gun. My Fenix PD35 fits nicely on its ever so slightly modified Fenix ALG-01 rail mount, blasting it's 960 lumens of joy right where I need it.

Only downside to all this is the additional space created in the mag tube (probably less than a 1/16"). It caused the stock mag follower to bind. Looks like its time for an aftermarket follower. Looking at GG&G unless you guys think there's a better product out there.

I'll post pics if any one wants them.

Post pics. Or I'll ban you. Lol jk. Maybe.

Ggg follower didn't work out well for me. I had better luck with the s&j follower.

Damn it I knew there would be threats.... ;~)

Here goes...remember its late and I don't post pics very often...
I still need to mount the pressure switch.

Light Mount
2014-12-14023457.jpg

Light mount other side
2014-12-14024715.jpg

Pic of Fastfire III mounted
2014-12-14024633.jpg

Shot of Co-witness with stock ghost rings
2014-12-14024445.jpg

Final pose
2014-12-14024853.jpg

Hope this helps clarify what I did....Thanks for advice on follower.

Very nice. Have you noticed the barrel clamp move during heavy loads (buck, slugs)? I had the Nordic components move on me which scaled off the finish on my barrel and mag tube. Just a warning for you.

Very nice. Have you noticed the barrel clamp move during heavy loads (buck, slugs)? I had the Nordic components move on me which scaled off the finish on my barrel and mag tube. Just a warning for you.

Thanks I like it pretty well...have not been to the range with this new setup yet though. The barrel clamp is Mesa. Ive had no problems with it loosening up.

Thanks I like it pretty well...have not been to the range with this new setup yet though. The barrel clamp is Mesa. Ive had no problems with it loosening up.
It may or it may not. Only running it hard with buck and slugs will you find out.

It may or it may not. Only running it hard with buck and slugs will you find out.
Ive got few hundred rounds on the Mesa clamp....mixed loads but its definitely had its fair share of heavy buck and slugs...seems ok so far.

Just ordered Nordic Components spring and follower tonight

Yeah I like it so far. Haven't shot it yet though. This weekend hopefully....
You can see the sight picture in one of my pics above.
You can see the ghost rings through it just fine, and I had no issue focusing on the front site.
Height wise the FastFire blocks the lower 40% of the ring. I can accept that trade if the sight works well for me.

Just a quick update in case anyone is interested...

After much research, I finally settled on a Nordic Components MXT +2 extension to replace my stock Choate....
Apparently I should have done a bit more research... The NC +2 MXT is in fact a +2, (and I should state that the MXT is beautiful in form and function, it has a slight depression that fits a clamp perfectly, I currently run a Mesa Tactical) but I did not realize that the stock mag tube (without extension) on a 930SPX is only 4 rounds.
So with the MXT I only get 6 +1 Not 7.
I can fit 7+1 in the stock Choate tube but not using the the 00 buck shells I wanted 7+1 of... (I know does it really matter that much?)
But by now it had turned into a quest... 7 +1 of the HD ammo I wanted to use.

Luckily I had reviewed another thread here that spoke of the "secret" EXT extension (basically the predecessor of the MXT) from Nordic components that would potentially allow the magic number (7+1) I was looking for.
So I called Nordic components and spoke with Shanon Birr at Nordic Components who laid it all out ....He told me that my gun only had a 4 round mag without an extension. (I had incorrectly assumed it was a 5 round mag without the extension)
And he also told me he could sell me the EXT extension... He had a lot of knowledge and he passed it on willingly. Can't ask for more than that.

Long story short I have a happy ending. The EXT extension arrived today. I am now able to fit 7+1 of Federal Premium HV 00 buck in my 930SPX, and I am satisfied. I could not do this with the stock Choate extension or the NC MXT +2 extension.

This information is posted only for the benefit of others on this forum who might find it useful.

Happy New Year!
Jon

Do you think the fast fire will hold up to the recoil ? Had one on a 45/70, did not last.

Just a quick update in case anyone is interested...

After much research, I finally settled on a Nordic Components MXT +2 extension to replace my stock Choate....
Apparently I should have done a bit more research... The NC +2 MXT is in fact a +2, (and I should state that the MXT is beautiful in form and function, it has a slight depression that fits a clamp perfectly, I currently run a Mesa Tactical) but I did not realize that the stock mag tube (without extension) on a 930SPX is only 4 rounds.
So with the MXT I only get 6 +1 Not 7.
I can fit 7+1 in the stock Choate tube but not using the the 00 buck shells I wanted 7+1 of... (I know does it really matter that much?)
But by now it had turned into a quest... 7 +1 of the HD ammo I wanted to use.

Luckily I had reviewed another thread here that spoke of the "secret" EXT extension (basically the predecessor of the MXT) from Nordic components that would potentially allow the magic number (7+1) I was looking for.
So I called Nordic components and spoke with Shanon Birr at Nordic Components who laid it all out ....He told me that my gun only had a 4 round mag without an extension. (I had incorrectly assumed it was a 5 round mag without the extension)
And he also told me he could sell me the EXT extension... He had a lot of knowledge and he passed it on willingly. Can't ask for more than that.

Long story short I have a happy ending. The EXT extension arrived today. I am now able to fit 7+1 of Federal Premium HV 00 buck in my 930SPX, and I am satisfied. I could not do this with the stock Choate extension or the NC MXT +2 extension.

This information is posted only for the benefit of others on this forum who might find it useful.

Happy New Year!
Jon

Jon I'm not calling them a liar but I use my 930SPX for hunting and…. well I picked up the spring and magazine nut from Mossberg. I fit 5 rounds of 2 3/4 in the mag tube.

I think the problem is your spring. It may need to be cut down a little bit.

WM, I had the exact same problem with my SPX that Jon did.

With the factory Choate tube, I could get 7 Winchester AAs in, but only 6 of the Federal 00 or #1 buck. That last round would stop about 1/2 to 3/4" short of completely loading. The Federals are just a bit longer than most.

I ordered the old Nordic extension with an XL end cap... still no-go. I cut one mag spring down to the point of ruining it and the 7th round still wouldn't fit.

Later, while putting together an order from Midway, I stumbled across a closeout on a XXL end cap. I ordered that and now I can finally fit 7 of the Federals in the tube.

Do you think the fast fire will hold up to the recoil ? Had one on a 45/70, did not last.

Well I hope so! I guess time will tell. From everything I found it appears to be built for magnums, shotguns and rifles. The reason I chose the Fastfire was to attempt co-witness with the ghost ring sights. It does that well.

WM, I had the exact same problem with my SPX that Jon did.

With the factory Choate tube, I could get 7 Winchester AAs in, but only 6 of the Federal 00 or #1 buck. That last round would stop about 1/2 to 3/4" short of completely loading. The Federals are just a bit longer than most.

That is exactly my experience.

Water Monkey, I also believe your experience and I would have completely expected the stock mag to hold 5. I have not measured my mag tube yet, but I will, as I plan on getting a standard magazine nut from Mossberg as well.

My Nordic Components spring is currently cut to 30". I may cut it a bit more, but I can fit my 7 00 buck now and that was my goal.
For reference, the EXT magazine extension is just a hair over 7 inches. This makes it about a sixteenth of an inch past the SPX barrel.
The Choate extension tube is almost exactly the same length, but it has a 1/4" thick plastic spacer thing at the end (that ends up eating up a more like 3/8" of capacity when installed).
That made it impossible to fit 7 00 buck shells. I could fit 7 game loads (forget the brand right now, just cheap stuff).

The NC tube ends are machined aluminum that is less than a 16th of an inch.

Back