• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fire

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
What fire starter do you use?

What fire starter do you use?

Re: What fire starter do you use?

I will be trying out the following tool but I was wondering what others use?

nanoSTRIKER™

http://www.exotac.com/index.php?main_pa ... d4764cf7c2

nanostriker.jpg

nanostriker_01_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_02_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_03_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_04_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_05_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_06_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_07_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_08_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_09_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_10_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_11_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_12_LRG.jpg

nanostriker_16_LRG.jpg

Our collapsible ferrocerium fire-starter takes all excuses and throws them into the fire! This may possibly be the smallest ferrocerium fire starter on the market today. Attach it to your key chain, throw it into your pocket or tie it to your pack but never again leave home without one.

There are many ferrocerium fire-starting tools on the market. Some of these are high quality, some are small and some are self-contained. We set out to create a tool that incorporated all of these features and then some. While doing so we discovered that this product not only does the aforementioned, but it does it while being easier to use then tools more than twice the size! At the end of the day, this little tool can be collapsed and returned to key-chain ballast duty.

Here is a diagram of the nanoSTRIKER™ :
nano_rend.jpg

Because the nanoSTRIKER™ is so small, we were challenged with developing a new type of ferrocerium rod striking tool. We developed numerous prototypes and spared little expense to develop the most effective striker. This revolutionary striker is constructed of two different grades of stainless steel to offer the best quality finish and excellent durability. The 303 stainless steel component is hand polished then bead blasted for a great looking satin finish. The 440C component is high-precision machined and finished in a heat-treat oven bringing it's hardness to more than 50 Rockwell C (that means really hard for us normal people).

Here is a diagram of the striker (note: 440C component is black on actual product, not yellow):
striker_rend.jpg

Great product review from Gear Talk:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19WZuBePFpc[/youtube]

Instructional Animation:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC4q3hkDegU[/youtube]

Features:

•Patent Pending Collapsible self-contained fire starter
•Ultra-portable for keyring and pocket carry
•Ferrocerium rod works when wet
•Lightweight 6061 aircraft aluminum body
•Stainless steel 440C striker hardened to >50HRC
•Replaceable ferrocerium rod
•More than 1000 fire-starting strikes!

Included in box:

•Split ring for keyring carry
•nanoSTRIKERtm with ferrocerium rod
•Extra set of o-rings
•Instruction Manual

Specifications:

•Length: 85mm
•Diameter: 9.7mm
•Weight: 14.5g (Titanium version weight: 22g)

Ever use a striker in less then perfect condition(usually when you need a fire) ?

Until this week, I could start a fire around here by looking at the grass wrong...

Normally, I carry a bic. I have an old magnesium block in my bag JIC.

I like magnesium way better then the fire steel stuff. I have been in conditions as dry as you are in. We were getting grass fires from bottles in the ditch and things like that.....you guys finally get some rain? Those turbo lighters are awesome, they last for a long tome and will burn off moisture. Around here we have what we call pitch. But I have heard it called fat wood and other things. That is what you always look for in the northwest

For just in case stuff in my pack, I really want a striker like that. I keep a zippo or two, wet fire and matches, some tinder and steel wool and a 9 volt. Kinda redundant, but I like it that way, and that nano gadget would be handy too!

Nothing wrong with a contingency for your back up plan

Bic

Fire starter sticks

The video reminds me of my youth when my brother and I would gather the lint from my mom's dryer before going camping along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Happy times. lol

oli700 said:
I like magnesium way better then the fire steel stuff. I have been in conditions as dry as you are in. We were getting grass fires from bottles in the ditch and things like that.....you guys finally get some rain? Those turbo lighters are awesome, they last for a long tome and will burn off moisture. Around here we have what we call pitch. But I have heard it called fat wood and other things. That is what you always look for in the northwest
its rained a couple times in the past week. I wouldn't say its nearly enough yet, but there is some greenery coming back around.

Thanks for the link Doc...you do come up with some neat gadgets !!

Me? I got a magnesium fire starter, waterproof matches, bic lighters in blister packs, more zippos than God, a quality magnifying glass, lighter fluid, military solid fuel tabs...hell, I'm a pyromaniac...just ask my wife! ;)

\
Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

Sn3aKyGuY said:
SHOOTER13 said:
...hell, I'm a pyromaniac...just ask my wife! ;)

Why, did you catch her on fire or something? :lol:

When in survivl mode, have a plan and a back up plan. Also, a true survivalist will be able to use what ever is on hand... in what ever form that takes. Sorry babe, only one of us will be making out of this alive.

My wife is my backup plan...and I'm hers.

We've always made a good team...because neither one of us really needs the other to survive...it's nice to have an equal... not if, but when the SHTF.

I feel sorry for the other guy... :cool:
BONFIRE.jpg

Rossignol said:
Sn3aKyGuY said:
SHOOTER13 said:
...hell, I'm a pyromaniac...just ask my wife! ;)

Why, did you catch her on fire or something? :lol:

When in survivl mode, have a plan and a back up plan. Also, a true survivalist will be able to use what ever is on hand... in what ever form that takes. Sorry babe, only one of us will be making out of this alive.
That literally made me LOL and spit Welch's strawberry soda every where. Good thing I'm at work at an account where I'm the only one here.

SHOOTER13 said:
Thanks for the link Doc...you do come up with some neat gadgets !!

Me? I got a magnesium fire starter, waterproof matches, bic lighters in blister packs, more zippos than God, a quality magnifying glass, lighter fluid, military solid fuel tabs...hell, I'm a pyromaniac...just ask my wife! ;)
I am constantly researching for new products to share with the community!

Back