• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fire

Re: What fire starter do you use?

Dan, good lookin out as always!!!

Ok, well, for when SHTF... we need a contigency, a list of who is where and how to get groups of us here from MO together. Shooter, you, me Dan, Double Tap, RipJack, and a few others are all out this way, the TN guys, Illinois, TX and such, those guys and gals can get together. West coast folks... I think youre on your own, Cali is gonna fall into the ocean any way. Oli, get inland, we'll hook up somewhere!

"Fire, huh huh, you said fire. Yeah dude, Fire is cool."

Oh crap, thats off topic again.

Bic lasts a very long time.

A pack of them will last even longer. ;)

9v battery and steel wool together will get a flame.

Good tinder to use is dryer lint. Frumpled up pine needles, and paper is good too (not necessarily used together).

Everyone should know how to make fire with sticks (bow and boot laces). Nothing quite as cool as going, "Dude, it really works!"

I've used a few primitive methods with success but I think the coolest was a fire piston...
I know why itworks but it just baffles me anyway...kind of like magic :lol:
Sadly I lost mine but been thinking of making one lately

I just got the Nanotech Exotac fire starter!!!

My redundancy plan for fire is now complete! This combined with wetfire, tinder,steel wool and a couple of 9 volt batteries, camp matches... I should be able to start a fire! :lol:

If we're talkin survival, we dont need to be boy scouts and make fire by rubbing two sticks together, we just need to make fire. The faster the better!

Everything I have packed up is small, lightweight, and all compact like! Good to go!

Thanks Dan for posting the striker... n stuff! :D

I have been wanting to use dryer lint and fine saw dust with parafin wax poured over the mixture to make little firestarter squares.

I'm not sure if I need (or should) soak any of the combustables with a small amount of kerosene or lamp oil before pouring the wax over it or not.

The squares don't have to be very big. Even a 1 inch cube will burn for a long time if I do it right and should even start a fire with wet wood with any luck.

I've been collecting dryer lint from the filter for a while now. Even at the expense of being the butt of a few jokes because of it. :lol:

If you get it worked out, I'd be interested in knowin the recipe John!!!

It'd be neat to invest a few more bucks and wrap some striker paper around a wind/water-proof match and stick it in the middle. Pull the match out to light it and you got an instant fire starter.

I'm interested in the recipe as well. I have a bunch of lint...a bunch!

For fire starting we pack magnesium w/ferro rod, and a bic lighter. To start fires in less than adequate conditions we use 91% rubbing alcohol or esbit. Those magnesium blocks are $2.49 at Harbor freight, the rubbing alcohol is $2.49 for 32 oz. bottle at pharmacies. Esbit can be started with any striker. One just has to crush it into powder for it to catch a spark. The kids, wife and I carry this in our BOB's. We are six in my family. Anything I buy has to be affordable, work well as intended, or (if possible) pull double duty. The kids enjoy practicing their fire building techniques. Soon they will be ready to learn how to make their own thermyte. I am looking forward to that. Catching the wife on fire, that was hilarious. I'm still laughing as I type. :lol:

J.L. said:
Catching the wife on fire, that was hilarious.

:shock: Did she find it humorous too?

More good info too! Thanks! ;)

Rossignol: I will find out when she gets home. If I stop posting on this forum, you'll know what happened.

^^^ Hope this finds everyone well. ;)
I have always heard, but have never tried, that cotton balls smeared up with vaseline and stored in a cannister of some sort is a good way to start a fire. The fallback cannister was always a 35mm film cannister. Good luck with that one now. The vaseline burnt slow enough that the cotton ball took a while to burn up, thus making it a good fire starter.
I usually have a Bic with me when I hunt, but I plan to actually make a kit with a few different types of firestarters in it. I plan to make up BOBs for the family so whatever kit I decide on will be x4.

tcecil88: The vaseline with cotton balls will burn, but it needs an established flame to light it (in my experience). You can also use some alcohol based hand sanitizers, or potato chips (these serve double duty). Our families BOB's (x6) are all packed in the same manner with the same equipment in each. In an emergency we should be able to use each others pack and find items with ease.

Maybe I missed it, but nobody mentioned charcloth. It is easy to make and light to carry. I store it in a 35mm film canister.

Back