• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Firearm Photo Gallery

Well then again things always look better in pictures. The plastic is not cracked but this baby's got a couple real nicks in the blade. The parkerizing is mostly intact but it's worn off quite a bit on the outside of the ring. Looks to me like the kind of wear you get from carrying on the belt rather than the kind you'd get from carrying it on the gun, which would wear off the parkerizing on the inside of the ring.

At some point the scabbard was painted black but most of that has been scratched off and you can see the OD fiberglass below. Does that mean it was an MP issue or something? I don't know.

Can anybody make out these markings?

20170707_194650.jpg

Looks like it says D3 NY to me. (edit....When cleaned it clearly says US M7.)

Overall it's straight, it's not broken, the riveting is still tight, the condition is acceptable to me and the worst thing about it is the fact that it's filthy. It looks like somebody dropped it in the Mekong Delta mud in 1965 and barely rinsed it off.

No matter because I'm still glad I bought it. I wanted one for a long time. Actually since mine was stolen in 1982.

Unfortunately, mounted on the gun, I can see this was designed for the 14-inch military barrel and not the 18.5" California legal barrel.20170707_194445.jpg
not too secure on the barrel there.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well then again things always look better in pictures. The plastic is not cracked but this baby's got a couple real nicks in the blade. The parkerizing is mostly intact but it's worn off quite a bit on the outside of the ring. Looks to me like the kind of wear you get from carrying on the belt rather than the kind you'd get from carrying it on the gun, which would wear off the parkerizing on the inside of the ring.

At some point the scabbard was painted black but most of that has been scratched off and you can see the OD fiberglass below. Does that mean it was an MP issue or something? I don't know.

Can anybody make out these markings?

View attachment 15561

Looks like it says D3 NY to me. Difficult to say but I'll clean it up some more.

Overall it's straight, it's not broken, the riveting is still tight, the condition is acceptable to me and the worst thing about it is the fact that it's filthy. It looks like somebody dropped it in the Mekong Caud in 1965 and barely rinsed it off.

No matter because I'm still glad I bought it. I wanted one for a long time. Actually since mine was stolen in 1982.

Unfortunately, mounted on the gun, I can see this was designed for the 14-inch military barrel and not the 18.5" California legal barrel.View attachment 15560
not too secure on the barrel there.
:rolleyes:
They would typically be simply marked US M7 right there. Looks like you got some good honest wear. The Cali barrel def puts a wrinkle in the mix the carbine gas sys with long barrel not condusive to the normal length bayonet handle. I do hope the 60s bayo brings back some memories for you though im sure it could tell some stories of its 50 year journey.
http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/United_States__Post-War_/us_post_war_2.html

Last edited:
Okay, I cleaned my bayonet up this morning, and I can tell that the knife is a true US M7 & marked BOC and thus from Bauer Ordnance Co. I cannot find any information on the date but it may be '68 to '69 if this is the correct Scabbard with it, so not the same as my fathers.

I believe his was an Imperial , and the stampings on it were far nicer than the stampings on this one, leading me to believe it was an early production model while the dies were still nice and sharp. The Imperial was probably from about '65, as Dad left for Vietnam in December of '65, returning in January '66. My memory was telling me 1964, which is what my dad was telling me when he was very old. But I know that it was '65 because I attended half of the fifth grade in Litchfield Park Elementary School in Arizona and the other half at the Gloversville School House in Gloversville New York, where we had moved to be with my grandparents.

I believe dad had some Advanced FCAC Training in 1964, which is maybe why he remembered that year.

The Scabbard is stamped US M8A1, and below that it is marked VIZ, from the VIZ Manufacturing Company of Philadelphia.

The chart tells me this was only made May thru November of 1969, and is fairly rare, but his one is pretty scratched up, plus it was painted black, and I don't think it happened at the factory.

Athough the webbing is not rotten it is pretty dirty. I will try to clean this all up some more when I have the time.

Oh yeah I figured out that the problem here is the short gas system & handguard. I'm not sure what length barrel dad's rifle had.

All this bayo talk had me wanting to get one, for my 20" rifle build. I've already got an Ontario M9, but the M7 would be more correct. Any thoughts on Bauer vs. Ontario?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I haven't looked at an Ontario but I wasn't super impressed about the quality of the stampings on the Bauer. Plenty serviceable but it appeared that quite a number had been stamped out without ever sharpening those dies.

All this bayo talk had me wanting to get one, for my 20" rifle build. I've already got an Ontario M9, but the M7 would be more correct. Any thoughts on Bauer vs. Ontario?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Depends on the look you want but the M7 was in service into the Cold War and @SHOOTER13 is more knowledgeable on that I believe. But the M9 Ontario is closer to modern service bayonets.

My opinion on the M7 is that while not aesthetically the most pleasing in fit or finish, is that it's a perfectly functional stabby tool. Also consider the sheer volume of units being equipped with that bayonet vs the number deployed in recent years. Bauer is only one of several that produced the M7s and I think the MilPar can still be found in barcoded packaging. Those (whether MilPar or another maker) were the last produced into the 80s. They can found in new, un-issued condition. If you go looking, I think it's a yellow similar to the color of the large document envelopes, wrapped in sealed plastic with a barcode (I think) on the outside.

079.JPG
5 of my 6 pistols - Ruger SR22P, Smith and Wesson 637 J frame (snubbie), Smith and Wesson 36-1 J frame (3 in barrel), Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm, Smith and wesson SD9VE I also have a Ruger LC9s that I am selling to a friend

073.JPG

Rifles and shotguns:
M44 Mosin Nagant from 1944, Mossberg 500c, Mossberg 500AB, Mossberg 500ATP, Savage Model 25 in .223 (havent shot it yet), in the sock is a Sears model 54 in 30-30, Mossberg 146B, Anderson Manufacturing/Smith and wesson sport AR15, Henry .22lr lever standard model, Marlin model 60, and M91/30 Mosin Nagant 1942 year. I also have a Ruger 10/22 takedown.

Back