• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fired slugs for the first time.

TomcatPC

.270 WIN
11082573_941304709254809_9032079351101546520_n.jpg
Yes...I know, I missed...LOL. I wonder how I'd do if I had sights and not just a bead? Anyway...I think if I had a brown bear chasing me...I'd be dead, but I might have nicked him? LOL That was pretty close too, think it was under 25 yards? At least I could hit the black part of the target, well with three out of five anyway LOL!
If slugs were cheaper, I'd try them more often.
Mark

But the sad part...I fired my Stevens 67, which has a set of rifle-type sights just for shooting slugs. I did worse with that gun, they were all low, and entirely off the paper of the target!!!
My Model 500 had a 18" barrel with just a bead and I did better!!! Guess which gun will go with me back to Alaska so I can sleep better at night? LOL!!!
Mark

Thanks for the link, but don't think I'm going to start casting for a while, but maybe in the future? Those Federal "General Service" bulk pack shells are what I was shooting today as well. My 500 had no problems what so ever with them. This is the same gun that I had to pry some empties with my pocket knife out of the chamber. Looks like I got that problem sussed and sorted?!
My confidence in the Model 500 as a general service shotgun is growing every time I shoot it.
Mark

Last edited:
I've been finding Federal TruBall slugs at Dicks for I think $4.89 a box. I've been sticking up on those, just a box or two here and there.

That's not bad at all, just a little practice and knowing how to hold on target makes a big difference. I'm not especially skilled with slugs myself but the load makes a difference too. Winchester Winlite (which I'm not positive is even still made but is the same as the Winchester Ranger) or the TruBall I mentioned, both have performed well in comparison to other loads.

Nice work! ;)

Bears are big things.

At 25 yards, I guarantee that if you were aiming center mass, the bear would still be hit. Just remember to aim about 4 inches low and you'll get it mid/center.

Many shotguns don't shoot perfect point of aim. That's why you want to pattern your gun so you know where you're at. That's just how shotguns are.

If anything, it's better that it is shooting a little high. I prefer shooting high over shooting low any day of the week for a few reasons but that's a discussion for another day.

Shooting slugs doesn't have to be miserable. It depends a lot on the specific gun though. I've shot some that killed on both ends. And others are fairly mild.

I was shooting the Remington "Slugger" Slugs, did not think they were all that bad. And I never claimed to be a bad-#$% by any stretch. LOL
Mark

Bears are big things.

At 25 yards, I guarantee that if you were aiming center mass, the bear would still be hit. Just remember to aim about 4 inches low and you'll get it mid/center.

Many shotguns don't shoot perfect point of aim. That's why you want to pattern your gun so you know where you're at. That's just how shotguns are.

If anything, it's better that it is shooting a little high. I prefer shooting high over shooting low any day of the week for a few reasons but that's a discussion for another day.

Shooting slugs doesn't have to be miserable. It depends a lot on the specific gun though. I've shot some that killed on both ends. And others are fairly mild.

Yup aim low. I believe the bead and a slug are calibrated at around 100 yards.

Back