• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Firing Pin From Scratch

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
The left firing pin on my Ranger 16 gauge shotgun is showing considerable wear. By measuring the right firing pin, find it to be around 0.045 or 0.050" too short. I'm really just guessing because the right firing pin is surely worn a bit as well. I have no clue what the true length should be.

What I did know is this: the right chamber fired consistently and the left chamber did not. The strike appeared weaker on the primer, and I was getting about 1 misfire in 4 shots.

New firing pins and springs for this gun are about $36 plus tax and shipping, if they are indeed the correct ones. I never found anything on the internet that listed this exact gun. Savage/Stevens shotguns and their store-branded derivatives sold at Sears Etc, were quite common with the similar model 5001 receiver. Mine is a model 5000 and it is evidently somewhat rare, having been made for just a very short time, right before WW-II.

The available pins probably fit fine but the people I talked to could not tell me with any certainty. Also there was that tax and shipping and the shipping time.

I decided just to make a new firing pin myself and see how well it worked. Since I don't know the exact length, I decided to make it a little bit too long and dress it off later if necessary.

I started with an ancient Craftsman 7/32" dia high speed Steel twist drill, and cut off the tail with a pneumatic cut off wheel. My dad bought that bit back about 1960.

20161210_204158.jpg

Drill bits are very hard and tough steel, but the tail of the bit is not quite as hard as the flutes. If this one is too soft and mushrooms, I will make another one and case harden it. I didn't do this because I didn't want to buy a whole jar of Casenit for one tiny part. I may decide to make my own bone char and color case harden if necessary. It might actually be better to oil-harden this grade of Steel, but I don't know, and will have to investigate that first.

I don't own a lathe, so I turned this down in my $40 Harbor Freight mini drill press, with a stone, and a file.

20161210_204245.jpg

20161210_204329.jpg

I cut it to length, then, I cut a flat spot into it with a Pneumatic grinding wheel and the file.

20161210_204035.jpg

Finally I hit it with four coats of Perma blue.

20161210_192151.jpg

I installed it and did dry-fire tests, and everything seems to work fine. If it doesn't rain too much today (I'm not complaining Lord, keep it coming...) I will get out to the range and throw some birdshot through this gun.

This gun had a couple problems with it when I bought it. It had been sawed off, and the stock was chipped and cracked. I had paid $300 plus fees and taxes for it, because it was rare (and this is California...)

But most of all this was the sort of Jed Clampett shotgun that I've always wanted since I was a kid. A 12 gauge, double barrel, mail-order shotgun from Sears. :)

20160528_233734.jpg

Last edited:
You did very well.

If it doesn't work out for you (I assume that it will be fine), maybe I could help but I'll need some measurements. Looks like it'll do fine though. I just wonder about the flat spot where you grinded it the whole length of the largest diameter of the part, whereas looks like the factory had a raised stop.

Oh, I think that's an illusion of the photos. I didn't post a good picture of the flat spot on the new pin. The filing is done by hand and it's not pretty. I didn't bother cleaning it up because I didn't want to take off any more metal.

20161210_203800.jpg

I made the new one about 0.010" longer on the head and about 0.050 longer on the nose. Otherwise I made them as identical as possible, by eyeball, and without a tool post, LOL...

I do have a dial caliper, so the diameters are pretty close. ( please don't look at my taper, concentricity, or radial runout...)

Last edited:
20161210_105359.jpg When you look at that previous post's photo, compared to this photo, there's a trick of the photography or an optical illusion as it were, in the previous post which makes the nose of the new pin look thinner than the nose of the original pin. It looks the same in the photo here.

After I took that previous photograph, I panicked and measured both pins again.

0.103" on the old one and 0.105" on the new. I checked it and four positions. It just looks small in the photo.

Last edited:
BTW, no test shots today. Rain, shopping, pre-Christmas rush...

It is longer about 1/16" , but the short pin I show is far shorter than the other "original" pin, and I think that one is worn to boot.
There is over 0.040" difference between the two original pins.

So my new one is longer than either by maybe 0.015" or 1/64". I'm guessing that won't be too much, and I can dress it off easily if necessary.

But thank you for the idea, I guess if the pin goes too deep I could get a big blowback at the breech. I don't want to screw up an antique like this. This is a 77 year old gun as far as I can determine.

(I know it's not an official antique per BATFE.)

If there is no payload, there wont' be as much back-pressure if the pin is too long and pierces the primer.

It's a really good recommendation.

Thanks guys. I won't say I wasn't a little concerned.

I don't have any primers or a press, but I can dump the load from a new shell and test it with that.

20161212_162538.jpg

These are the original pins I got in the gun. The top one shown was 0.043" longer than the one below, which I replaced. The new one is not shown.

You can see the faulty spring (lower one) as well. I replaced that with another spring I rewound a little to match.

Anyhow, I did make the new pin long on purpose. Both of these pins had already been mushroomed and dressed off in the past, so I am sure even the long one (that worked well) was shorter than normal. I just didn't know how much.

I can shorten it if necessary, right in the gun, with a dremel and a protective mask on the receiver.

Last edited:
Well I went to the firing range yesterday and ran 20 assorted shells through this gun. The results were mixed. Everything seemed to shoot well except for the few Fiocchis which seem to have a deeper set primer & different shaped as well.

But my results were not 100% and I don't want to blame the ammunition.

I think that instead of making the head 0.010" longer I should have made the head 0.030" longer and & taken 0.020" off the nose.

I want to make another pin and give it another try.

I never did make another pin.

But I went back to the range with this gun, and fired off 20 new Winchester birdshots and several Remington small game loads.

It never missed a beat this time.

I'm becoming convinced that my 2 previous FTFs (2 in just 25 shells) were from the cheap ammo I'd bought.

Just an update. I was wrong about the cheap ammunition.

I need to dress off the new firing pin a little bit because it's hitting somewhat off center, and that's because it is indeed too long.

The firing pin on this gun does not strike dead onto the primer but it's at a slight angle, as the whole mechanism angles down along the lines of the butstock.

I realized this after having a couple fail to fires and investigating the primers

In each case these shells did fire by simply rotating them in the chamber and striking again.

But so far I have had 4 FTFs so I'm going to dress that pin down and see what happens.

Least it sounds like you've got it figured out. That's more than half the journey right there.

I just need to drill a hole in a piece of metal to make a mask, so I can grind the pin off and polish it and blue little tip, all without taking apart that receiver.

I can get it apart and back together okay, but I don't want to put any more wear on the holes in the receiver. It's still tight enough and it still looks good.

Back