• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First group with .375

That's looking pretty good! What was the distance on that target?

You are correct this is not my first Mossberg I have a 500 in 12 gauge 20" barrel and shell holders in the stock I got in the early 90's not a beauty but a work horse.
The Patriot is a nice looking well made rifle that functions like a rifle costing much more. And is quickly becoming a favorite.

Will have to wait the place I shoot 200 yards is planted in soybeans have to wait till there picked then it will be deer season. I'm using 200gr copper bullets made by GS Custom they are averaging 3213fps so I hope they will shoot flat for long range. Only drawback is scope is only 2-7 so 200 may be a little harder to group. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but there is little info on the net about this combo rifle/caliber that other than Mossberg promotional stuff you would think they don't exist in the real world.

Shawn

Well made it to the range for a little offhand shooting. Had a bull cement block charge me shot him in center long way drilled a hole through 3 of 4 walls did not shatter block and I found the slug will post pic later then I took broadside and turned block to dust and gravel.
Found that slug too. Will post later this rifle is a blast

image.jpeg These are the two recovered bullets one on the right went threw 3 webs of concrete block was laying on ground about 3 feet away and very hot even though I walked 100 yards before looking for it the one on the left was the broadside shot that went threw 2 webs then about 10-12 inches of lose dirt.

At a time all my hunting buddies are down sizing their rifles I'm going the other way I went from a 35 Whelen to the 375 Ruger. And with the setup I'm running is low budget and by far one of the most accurate to show up at the bench.
I think that as I get older the time spent at the reloading bench and shooting bench are at least as fun as actually hunting.
My boys think I'm crazy digging up the slugs but that's as much fun as shooting and after years of doing it I can figure out how a bullet will perform on game.

Good news is bear season opens Saturday so I may get a chance to try it out on live game.

Shawn

Bear deer and whatever else I tend to use one rifle for everything. Once I start working with a rifle I tend to stick with it for awhile it may be a little large for the job but it can do it.

I've yet to shoot my Patriot 375 Ruger- Marine/Syn, but have high hopes for it. A bit odd coming from a rifle nut with custom rigs! Like others as a hunter I've shot many cartridges from 243 to 416 and for years the 375 H&H was my favorite. I also like the 300 Winchester and 338 Win Mag. Over the years I've always searched for the perfect all-round hunting rifle a nearly impossible feat! From my hunting experience I feel big bullets kill quicker but know modern bullets have changed some of that. Still as far as I'm concerned, the 338 and 375 just hit elk, bear and moose harder than lesser calibers... but not always. Without doubt I can say even the 375 is not a stopping round! I know!

As I get wiser I realize actually going hunting is more important than collecting rifles. I have way too many hunting rifles and am thinning the herd. Sometimes doing this hurts as it's tough to let go. Reality set in as I realized I could do all of my hunting with 2 Mossberg rifles. My 375 Patriot and my 7 WSM 4X4. Or even just 1 rifle, my 300 Win Patriot. After all these years of rifles, I'm leaning towards Mossberg now? Amazing! With the 375/7mm combo, I could hunt nearly anything on earth with the 375 and for mountain hunting/longer range use the 7mm. 2 rifles for most big game anywhere! 2 rifles one knows well and 2 utilitarian rifles one does not have to baby in the field, letting one concentrate on the hunt. Are these perfect rifles? Nope, but neither is any other rifle I've ever owned. With most I rebuild them into semi-custom money pits. Mossberg rifles are pretty much ready to hunt. I do not have to change the recoil pad or trigger and so on. The Mossberg is very affordable... why I paid under $300 for my 375 Patriot- Amazing again for a gun one could hunt the world with! I also like how Mossberg rifles are light, because while hunting I carry the rifle all day. Heck, my 375 is under 7lbs! Recoil? Yup, but I prefer light rifles and never feel recoil when shooting at game.

Seeing this post reminded me just how all-round the 375 Ruger is, especially if one reloads... and how accurate it is out of a Mossberg. I will use mine even for general deer hunting as I've found the bigger bullets destroy less meat, yet are devastating on bigger game! When in bear country I just feel better carrying a 375. So, because of the Mossberg 375 Ruger I've come back to a 375 as my go to rifle. It's going to be tough to let go of my other guns, but just for fun and once I sell the herd, 2 more affordable Patriots might join the family... one in 338 Win and the other in 243! 5 rifles all decked out and still costing less than just one custom rig!

Glad to find another 375 Ruger Patriot shooter for a while I thought I was alone.
I had planes to move my barrel and action into a Boyd's stock but after the groups I've gotten I'm not touching it. I did have issues with the Mossberg recoil pad but when I see the pads on other guns mine was different maybe they changed it maybe it was a factory mistake but it was a hollow rubber shell with a plastic rib in it that lined just right to hurt the shoulder. I did not get a shot at a deer this year my son and my buddies son got all the shooting and there was no need for backup.
My next opportunity will be groundhog in the spring and I won't feel overguned a bit.
I feel that the more you use a gun the better you will do with it.
I joined another forum that had a lot of information on the 375 Ruger and was amazed how quick a thread would die when they found out that I had a lowly Mossberg well I was reading one that forum that one fellow was having feeding problems with one of their favorite guns to recommend and then a bunch of guys chimed in that they had same problem all recommended a $650 upgrade from a certain gun shop give me $650 and I'll buy another patriot and scope not to mention the 1200 plus they spent on the new gun.
Shawn

Shawn, I think the Patriot 375 is great! I purchased a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan 375 Ruger stainless with Hogue stock, just prior to the Patriot. Nice rifle with all the right stuff. Only a bit heavy for my likes. Sold it to my buddy who just had to have it. Then I got the Mossy 375 and prefer it to the Ruger. The Mossberg is lighter. The action slicker, the trigger better and I prefer the drop box mag over the floorplate of the 77! The Ruger is more of a traditional dangerous game rifle, but I never bought into that stuff. My 375 H&H was a customized lightweight Brown Precision push feed Remington 700, that never failed me, even in Africa! I regret the day I sold it, but so far am just as happy with my Mossberg! The action is slicker than even my current Remington's. I've had them all from Kimber's to Titaniums, Flyweights, Tikkas, Drillings, Browning's, Weatherby to factory rifles and I'm picky! For me, when it comes to rifles I now prefer function over looks. Much to my surprise The Patriot has won me over despite some of its money saving design/looks. It's a hunting tool and one I expect to perform when the moment counts in rain, ice, heat or snow. I really love how easily the Patriot even top loads! I know it's marketing, but 2 writers used a Mossberg to take big bears... 1 a Polar and the other a Grizzly. That's what got my interest in the Patriot. Lastly, I care less what other forum guys think about my 375!

I got the Patriot because it was priced right and had good reviews if it would have shot 1.5" at 100 yards I would have been pleased so when I shot dime size groups I was floored.
Those don't happen all the time and that is me not the rifle.
I hope to go to Africa before I die and if I do the Mossberg will go as my rifle.

Are you reloading or using factory ammunition.
Shawn

I had a Win 1981 M70 375HH that was 1" at 200 yds.......I have never owned a more accurate rifle....but it was 11 lbs.....my arms have weakened as I have aged. I sold it for a Ruger GP100 357. I'm glad your 375R has worked out. I kind of wanted one....but the ammo is kind of high...and my needs/truthfully/low. I am happy with the 308 youth....so small/light......and really no kick....it's like my 30/30 except I can shoot this out to 300 for hunting.

Back