• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First group with .375

I will be reloading for the 375 Ruger soon as it's such a versatile cartridge. I just started reloading for the 7mm STW and 243 WSSM but will shift my focus to the 375 Ruger. I must confess... I just bought another rifle! Another Mossberg Patriot in 338 Win Mag. I just couldn't pass it up for under $300 new and shipped!!! Need was not a factor here as one does not really need a 338 owning a 375. But the 338 is another great cartridge I've had success with and I just had to try it in the Patriot with 22 inch barrel. I read a 22 inch tube is good on a 338 mag. Really, a guy/gal/family into rifles/hunting/shooting for fun, buying a Patriot rifle in every caliber is realistically affordable! This year I'll be shooting and hunting with my Patriots a lot and fully expect them to exceed expectations. Most likely the 375 will become my favorite and go to rifle. I can just envision using it to hunt Alaskan/Yukon moose with it! I will try the iron sights on the 375 Patriot and used to think iron sights as back up were a good idea. Yet I've never actually hunted with iron sights, especially since scopes are so reliable these days and may remove the iron sights from my Patriot? Otherwise I'll be tempted to mount my scope with QR rings.

I'm reading more and more impressive things about the Patriot.

When I bought my .223 I had decided that I was uninterested in large caliber rifles; and afterall, I was only target shooting.

Everyone I know has a .308 or a .30-'06.

I have a .357mag Henry but a Mossberg .30-30 carbine is my most powerful rifle & I was feeling a little under represented. :oops:

For a while I was looking for a Ruger number 1, but could never quite convince myself to Pony up the cash for the 400 Nitro Express...:D and after a while I sort of forgot about that.

I should have bought it because my thought process was all based on faulty logic.

At that time in history, I was gleefully spraying a lot of lead into the dirt with automatic weapons & ammunition was getting expensive. When I started looking at the cost of .338 and
.400 rounds it was frightening. It was going to cost a fortune just to break in one of those guns!

But now that I focus on loading and shooting long target rounds, ammo cost is way down, and I'm realizing that if I load my own target rounds (which I surely will do) the cost of owning a big bore is not prohibitive.

The last time I went target shooting I only shot 30 rounds of handloaded .223. I spent a lot of time collecting my empties and recording my data, and patching out the new barrel. If that's all I'm shooting in a session surely I could afford to load .375 Ruger.

IMG_0502.JPG I reload and factoring in 4 reloads per case which I believe I will get more but 4 is a definitely no problem and it works out to less than $36.00 for twenty so not far from premium cost for a standard caliber. I have a 35 Whelen that has been around 20 years and has never seen a factory load. I am using a expensive bullet about $1.40 each but you don't sit down and blow threw 300-400 rounds at a time. What I do like is to do is recover bullets from the backstop. And I have found a lot including 1 that went threw a cinder block end to end punched a hole theew 4 webs and did not shatter it. Bullet on right went threw 4 webs of the block 1 on left 2 webs from the side at 100 yards. Fun rifle to shoot stuff with.

I found the iron sights accurate but hard for me to get low enough on stock to use I have large head and no neck so it is a stock fit thing for me I even need higher scope mounts but I worked it out.

Well after a more than a year I would like to report that my 375 made meat for me.
It was not a 20 yard stalk on a Cape buffalo but a 427 yard shot on a whitetail doe who run into a large open field and stopped in the middle. I use a GS Customs 200 gr hv bullet that leaves the barrel at 3212fps. Now I don’t make a habit of shooting that far but I made a gross mistake in how far it was after two shots I realized I was shooting low aimed a little higher 3rd shot was low again 4th shot hit home right in the shoulder.
The deer was quarting away and the bullet exited dead center of brisket leaving a 4” hole.
Went back later to find out the distance with range finder that is when I realized why I was shooting low.
So 375 can be a long range rifle with a 2-7 scope.
Shawn

Back