• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Impressions of my new 464 "Brush Gun"

You're quite welcome.

One thing I noticed right off is that the mainspring pressure seemed to change. I know sometimes things just get weak with age but this was a new gun.

What it was is the burrs on this part had to wear off before adjustment and I didn't allow enough break in time for that. (Good 30-30 rounds ain't cheap. Even cheap ones ain't cheap!)

That linkage actually changed in length after I bent it by wearing off the burrs. There were burrs where it contacts the spring and more where it contacts the hammer. There were more on the receiver where the spring seats up to it.

So I would suggest you take that out, deburr it, put it back in, check the action, and decide whether it needs to be stiffer or looser for a solid pin strike.

Thanks very much- what I am not clear on is the bending- what was bent where, and in what direction?

I'll sure check for burrs and remove them.

I bent it more at the bend where the arrow shows it.

But I bent it a little too much, and had to unbend it slightly.

You could actually just shorten the spring or shorten the linkage but I didn't want to do anything irreversible.

Last edited:
I have a big screwdriver with a fork or notch in the end.

I clamp the receiver in a wooden vise and press the spring with the fork.

Thanks- yeah, I have a big screwdriver but was trying to do that without clearing the garage out enough to get to my vise (recovering from back surgery, can't move or lift much at the moment). I'll keep at it, thanks!

:) Nah, this is for my own sake!

I decided just to give the spring and strut some Break Free since they were dry (some rough edges but no obvious burrs on contact surfaces), and put the stock back on. The underside of the bolt where it rides over the hammer saw a felt Dremel wheel and white rouge, as did the top of the locking bolt, and the wear points on the upper part of the lever where it slides inside the slots in the bolt and the carrier. I just steel-wooled the top edge of the hammer.

It does feel noticeably smoother now. I think I will leave it alone for now and just put up with the trigger pull for the time being.

Thanks very much for the information!

But, I carry mine with one finger under the lever & that way it cannot fire until I remove that finger.
That's a heck of an idea... I don't mind the tang safety, and definitely prefer it to the cross bolt of the Marlin. I find it considerably easier to remember to turn it off. I have a Marlin .22 with the crossbolt and a shotgun with the tang, but I got used to the tang much faster. But being able to just pull my finger out and shoot when hunting could be really handy.

The disadvantage of course is that if you fall you can break your finger, but I guess that's better than shooting off your ear.

But I am strictly at Target shooter and have not been hunting in over 40 years so I don't worry a lot about the safeties. When I pick the gun up to move it, it's empty.

I've been using some Molly Lube they put on Honda motorcycles, but it's very expensive. You pay $30 for something like a small tube of toothpaste.

That point was a top of the hammer hits the bottom of the bolt and drags is a big friction point for this gun.

My hammer was little out of square So I dressed it up. I polished the bottom of the bolt, and I put some of that Lube on there frequently if target shooting.

I know it's not a Target gun but I have to practice ;)

Anyhow somewhere between 5 and 10 Rounds it starts to get a little sticky and I put some more Lube on it.

Back