• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First lower build

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
2fb630530afd545fec0f36a644539d2b.jpg

Local shop didn't have any IMR 3031 this evening, but they did have these. Anderson stripped lower for 55 bucks. Going to build a lower for the 20 inch rifle. Need suggestions for an LPK.

Duly noted. Seems everybody and their brother makes lower parts kits anymore. It might be easier to advise on what NOT to buy.

If you're looking for one stop shopping, I've used these Spike's kits in several of my projects. These are good quality and very consistent...

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike_s_Tactical_Lower_Parts_Kit_p/sp-slpk101.htm

On my last few I've been piecing together lower parts separately though. There's not really a kit out there that has everything I want, like winter trigger guards, reduced power trigger springs, anti-walk trigger pins, etc. The trigger and springs are the most important parts in an LPK and the cheaper kits usually include a run of the mill junk trigger to keep the cost down. I spend a little extra on the trigger parts and the rest of the pins, springs, and detents can be pieced together for next to nothing...

Anderson did Oli dirty.... I'll learn from his mistake, but hope it works out for you diesel
I built the upper that will sit on this lower from an Anderson blem. And couldn't be happier. I followed his build. I understand taking pride in what you create, but my standards aren't quite as high as his. If I have serious fitment or function issues with this lower then I will be disappointed. Cosmetics are low on my priorities list though.

I tend to go with whatever LPK I can find cheap.

I also will immediqtely replace
  • the trigger guard with a elongated model for use with gloves
  • trigger springs with something lighter
  • Grip bolt with trigger adjuster screw (thanks LES!)

DPMS, despite having a bit of a squishy trigger has been reliable (made much better with the trigger adjuster)
Spikes LPK has been pretty good out of the box.

If you're looking for one stop shopping, I've used these Spike's kits in several of my projects. These are good quality and very consistent...

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike_s_Tactical_Lower_Parts_Kit_p/sp-slpk101.htm

On my last few I've been piecing together lower parts separately though. There's not really a kit out there that has everything I want, like winter trigger guards, reduced power trigger springs, anti-walk trigger pins, etc. The trigger and springs are the most important parts in an LPK and the cheaper kits usually include a run of the mill junk trigger to keep the cost down. I spend a little extra on the trigger parts and the rest of the pins, springs, and detents can be pieced together for next to nothing...
Thanks LES. I forgot all about Joe Bobs. They also had the LuthAR stock I want to use on this rifle.

in my defense those marks were not cosmetic, that's where the barrel extension seats, a lot of people even put a cement, sealer or a lock tight in that area so the extension has even pressure on a receiver that even looks perfect to the naked eye

when I installed the barrel the end of the extension didn't even have contact with receiver

then the pic rail machining didn't even allow a flush mount for my rear iron sight

the only cosmetic bitch was that the upper rail didn't match the handguard......and actually I still cant mount half of an optic on the receiver and half on the handguard because its off enough that the front pic mount will not seat so technically its beyond cosmetics but I don't care about that part because I don't need to do it but if I did I couldn't

Anderson like a lot of other budget sources are hit and miss, it didn't take much internet searching to find many more problems, non cosmetic......you may never have a problem or never see a problem if you don't have an eye for it

Thanks for the clarification. As is right now mine is working as good as I could possibly hope for.

Only use 3 different LPK for the 20 plus lowers i have built, Daniel defense is my main go to, Spikes and Stag are my others i use.

DPMS isn't really too bad. They can polish up to make a decent OEM trigger.

Like Oli said, avoid PTAC trigger groups, and I hated (emphasis HATED) the stainless steel trigger/hammer that came from Anderson. It just SUCKED.

The rest of the Anderson kit was OK. But the FCG was terrible.

133dff47d49a21a81946b206e5b9418c.jpg

2f7ab56af1ac6f0e9ed7f3adae856524.jpg

There she is, my first 100% built by me. Anderson lower, Spikes LPK and stock/tube/buffer and spring given to me by a buddy. Trigger will have to be upgraded soon, its twice as heavy as my M&P I did polish it before I put it in though. Dunno if I'll keep the stock or go to a fixed length adjustable or skeleton type yet. Have to shoot it awhile. I'll upgrade parts one by one, and have a nice collection of spares. Later this summer I'll probably get another lower. And build another carbine. Then put the M&P back to factory original.

Good looking precision shooter.

leave the stock !.....its awesome

waiting for you to not like the eye relief ......I guess it depends how you mount the rifle but that scope would not work for me there. I mean it would but I wouldn't be comfortable,mine is JUST acceptable if I could I would move it forward another inch or two I would but its going to take a new mount to do that for me. you still have a little room

Even a blind squerel finds a nut from time to time

One would let the hammer loose on safe, 0 rounds

One never had issues but it was the nastiest trigger I ever pulled on an AR

133dff47d49a21a81946b206e5b9418c.jpg

2f7ab56af1ac6f0e9ed7f3adae856524.jpg

There she is, my first 100% built by me. Anderson lower, Spikes LPK and stock/tube/buffer and spring given to me by a buddy. Trigger will have to be upgraded soon, its twice as heavy as my M&P I did polish it before I put it in though. Dunno if I'll keep the stock or go to a fixed length adjustable or skeleton type yet. Have to shoot it awhile. I'll upgrade parts one by one, and have a nice collection of spares. Later this summer I'll probably get another lower. And build another carbine. Then put the M&P back to factory original.

Good lookin shooter! Nice job...

I know it's all the rage for carbines and M4's in particular, but I just love the rifle setup.

In my opinion, they're the best shooters in the AR realm.

Even a blind squerel finds a nut from time to time

One would let the hammer loose on safe, 0 rounds

One never had issues but it was the nastiest trigger I ever pulled on an AR

Well, I presume that would be an issue for sure... I'm eventually going to do better and get a good, reputable, trigger. However, my first and second born kin are priority :D haha

Back