• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First post from the UK and I need some help!

PjayUK66

.22LR
Hey Guys

Greetings from England, my first post here and I could use some technical advice please.

I picked up a Mossberg 600AT yesterday for next to nothing, the gun is in excellent condition but the owner said it had developed a problem recently where it wont rack once fired unless the action slide release is depressed bought it anyway as it was 50 pounds and the rest of the gun is great.

I stripped it down and I have been examining the trigger group and think I have isolated the problem. When the hammer in the fire position (ie forward, not cocked) the action slide release bar is not getting depressed. In fact I cant see anything in the mechanism that looks like it would push the action lock lever down. It doesnt move whether the hammer is cocked or in the fired position. Now before I strip the trigger assembly down further I wondered if anyone can tell what part is supposed to operate the action lever when the hammer falls as I think something may be missing.

I have looked at various videos etc have to admit to being a bit stumped so far so any help would be appreciated!

I have attached photo of the top of the assembly hope it helps

Cheers Guys

20170405_195404.jpg

Sounds like you have a broken or missing spring that operates the action lever.

This video is pretty good, hope it helps you.

Thanks for the info, but i still don't understand what part of the trigger assembly actually depresses the lever when it's fired? Surely the spring can't do that?

It is the pivoting part right here:
20170405_195404.jpg

That engages the bolt carrier right here:
ttJ2f.jpg

While holding the trigger assembly in your hand hold the hammer and pull the trigger. As the hammer moves FWD the lever moves down, releasing the bolt.

If you look at the assembly there is a spring that applies pressure on both sides of the pivot point. It is a change in spring pressure when the hammer is fwd that causes it to move. Even with the hammer fwd you can still manually move the lever up and down implying that there is no other mechanical leverage moving it.
Does this help?

Last edited:
Hey MikeD thank you that does really help me. So now I know what the part is that is faulty, clearly its the spring that you mention. I need to look for a replacement, so will take a look at Brownells to see if they hold one. Would you know the proper name for this component so I can be sure to order the right bit?

I believe it to be part #63 from the link above that Old Mossy posted.

spring.jpg

Back