• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First time out Range Rep

Chris_K

.22LR
Well, first night out with my new to me Moss 500. Coming only from 870s in my past, I was excited after a 7 year shotgun hiatus, to get back out. I was right to be excited.

My 1987 500 ran absolutely beautifully, and I only short stroked it once. :D Just not used to that recoil. Ran mostly Federal brass hull 1 1/8 oz no 7 shot, and a couple Federal 00s. Ran about 60 shells through it, and she just couldn't have made me happier. Right shoulder, not happy. See below.

I decided to run 5 more at the end of this evening, and MAN I'M FEELING IT. Ibuprofen here we come. :D Those 'light load' Federal 1 1/8 oz shells are no joke, they kicked as hard as the 00 I fired. Only ran about 5 of the 00 and the rest was the bird shot. I ran just 5 aluminum hull Federal no 6 shot, 1 oz, and those were light by comparison to those others and the 00.

My right shoulder is PISSED, but I'm super happy. I'm converted and in love with the Mossy. I attached some photos, included some of my own hating myself faces for continuing.

Can't wait to get out and run it again. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Moss1.jpg
    Moss1.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Moss2.jpg
    Moss2.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Moss3.jpg
    Moss3.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 13
Just took it out, and noticed a slight rotational wobble to the barrel. Not fore/back movement, just slight rotation. Just read up that it's best to, make sure it's unloaded, then place stock on ground barrel facing up, and use palm to put pressure on barrel tip while hand tightening magazine tube screw. Seems less noticeable, and it is an old gun. She ran all the ammo just fine tonight, so nothing to worry about I guess. :)

If you're having issues with recoil with the low brass handicap loads, slow down and make sure the buttpad is seated firmly in your shoulder before pulling the trigger. This has more to do with how you're holding the gun than the gun or the shells you're using.

Also, exerting some pressure forward using your left hand on the handguard to help take some of the push off of your shoulder may help too.

And if that still doesn't help, you could try a slip on limbsaver pad.

As for the barrel, the nut on the front of the magwell tensions the barrel into the receiver and locks it in place. If it's loose, the barrel will also be loose.

If it has loosened the barrel in use, then IMO you should take the barrel off and clean the mating surfaces to remove any residue that is in there.

That stuff would prevent it from fitting really tight (as with any rust that might be on those surfaces right now.)

On an old gun, the break down of residue and rust on surfaces as you shoot can cause the parts to loosen.

Fortunately the 500 is an easy gun to disassemble and reassemble, so take your time cleaning her up and keep it so, and you will have a handy and reliable companion.

Had already taken both pieces of advice, post clean and inspected last night. :) Already thoroughly cleaned, and tightened barrel lug using down pressure method. We'll see if it loosens next tine, or if I just hasn't really tightened it properly beforehand. I don't think it'll be an issue now.

I did order a recoil pad for it, since the pad on this older gun is stiff and hardened, and it wasn't much to write home about when it was new anyway. I do know how to pull the gun in right and tight but I did notice it being a bit tougher to maintain forward pressure on forend. My buddy is a leatherworker, and I'm having him make a forend strap, as it jumped out of my hand once.

I don't know what to say, as those 1 ⅛ oz bird shot loads were jumping as hard as the 00 I fired. Don't know how handicapped they were, they seemed awfully stout. :D :D

By the time I fire the last shot, my gun is much lighter, and it always wants to jump. I changed the forestock to something I could grab easier, but It still needs a strap.

Agreed, CaddmannQ. The gun is lighter, in my mind, than my Old 870s with steel receivers. Seems like she just jumps a bit, at the end. I'll gently drill into my walnut forend to make it work. I don't plan on getting rid of it, and it'll be inconspicuous when the strap may be off the gun, but it seems like it'll help greatly.

I attached a shot of the shells fired yesterday. I know I'm a bit of a puss :D , being back at 12 gauge for first time in years, but the middle shell is what I fired about 50 shells of. About 5 of the 00 below, and 5 of the real light, aluminum hull birdshot above. That middle shell, was the 100 shell box at Walmart for like $22, and I was impressed that it was medium hull brass, 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 shot. It kicked like a mother, though. I've never seen an intermediate brass hull, on cheaper game loads. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Just read up on it after posting. These are 3 DRAM shells, which you can kinda see on the bottom of that middle shell. Many are saying noticeably higher recoil, hotter shells. SOme are saying not as noticeable, but still higher recoil. 1200 vs 1150 FPS kinda thing. I noticed it.... :O

Attachments

• 20200112_101650.jpg
    20200112_101650.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 2
Back