• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First time shooting my Mossberg 500

RobG

Well it was a great experience shooting my Mossberg 500 shot gun for the first time. I was surprised of the high recoil and the kick this shoot gun had. I tested it out when I picked it up yesterday at Shoot straight range, they were nice enough to let me shoot for FREE which is always good LOL

I try using a low recoil and a high recoil shell and for the most part it was great. I did notice when I shot it my hand would slip of the pump action when shooting it that also tells me I should get some kind to front end strap to prevent this.

This is my first shot gun and I'm really glad I choose the Mossberg, now I will be looking at a few hand guns so I can build a small collection because I have always loved firearms.

Thanks so much for your thoughts

I just shot my used 500 12 gauge yesterday while buying it, first time ever firing a shotty. I was surprised at how how much the kick hurt after firing just two 2.75" birdshot shells, probably because it's old and the recoil pad was petrified. When I got home I took off the old stock and put on the one my new Maverick 88 came with (much better pad) so I'm looking forward to taking it out again. :)

I'm excited for you both!

There are a couple things to do to help minimize recoil and hand slippage.

I'll find the video and link it. The video will show it better than I can explain it. It's the push/pull method and is different than wing shooting but it helps manage recoil for sure.

I just shot my used 500 12 gauge yesterday while buying it, first time ever firing a shotty. I was surprised at how how much the kick hurt after firing just two 2.75" birdshot shells, probably because it's old and the recoil pad was petrified. When I got home I took off the old stock and put on the one my new Maverick 88 came with (much better pad) so I'm looking forward to taking it out again. :)

Hello, I did not have any problems after shooting my Mossberg just a little surprised at how power the recoil was but overall love the experience. I am also looking into adding an adjustable stock as soon as I can.

The above is great info.
But if u want some real hand slippage. Get your hands on some magnum 3-1/2" shells.
Those are some ass kicking rounds.
Now, don't be a warrior and try to show off cuz u will definitely feel it the next day.
I Will only shoot about 5 to 10 spread out over my range time.

On a serious note, if you want the recoil minimized, a limbsaver pad and some low recoil rounds will do the trick and u will be able to hold that mossy pretty good.

If you're wanting to use buckshot, I mentioned a Federal load in the other thread. It's velocity is about 1100 fps. Most birdshot is between 1300 and 1600 fps. Full power buck is also about 1600 fps. Ammo selection will help with recoil management and in turn help with accuracy.

Thanks for catching that old mossy. I didn't even think about that. My bad for misleading you Rob.
But luckily the magnum round is also available in a 3" ;)

On a serious note, if you want the recoil minimized, a limbsaver pad
This advice is gold. I love my LimbSaver. I can shoot 3" mags and not have memory of what it felt like 10 seconds later. It's amazing how much harshness they take away.

Yes sir spanky. They are a world of difference when shooting a mossy, or any SG for that matter. I love mine and glad I got or on my 590. Now I don't have one on my 870 and I can definitely feel the difference. I shot both the other day and swiched back to my 590 with the limbsaver the rest of the day. I actually forgot how much the recoil is without it. Lol.

Having felt the LimbSaver on my shotgun, I will own one for every long gun I get in the future. It's comfortable and enjoyable. I even got one for the AR15 I'm building.

When I initially got my 590 Mossy, which had the Magpul stock and pad, I really regretted getting it after the first shot. For some reason, Magpul sucks at making pads. It was harsh and nasty on a regular birdshot round. Slapped the LimbSaver on and oh man, it's such a treat to shoot.

Just got back from patterning my Maverick 88, 25 shells, first time firing it. I have a 12" Hogue stock on it, which turns out to be a little short so I put on a slip-on recoil pad to make it about 12.5". Between the two recoil pads, my sweater and my big winter coat the perceived recoil was almost non-existent at my shoulder. I was just shooting 1 oz birdshot shells. It was a night and day difference compared to when I fired my 500 with an old petrified recoil pad wearing just a t-shirt and windbreaker; just two shells and my shoulder hurt for three days.

Just ordered a Magpul Mag318 adapter that allows the Limbsaver pad to fit the Magpul SGA stock for Mossy 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a small slip on limbsaver airtech I got from Walmart for twenty dollars. My mossy is a sweet shooting little 12 ga. no recoil issues at all.500 and crow.jpg

I have said this before and will obviously be saying it again.

If you mount a shotgun CORRECTLY, It won't matter if your stock and recoil pad are a 2x4.
Felt recoil will be minimal. A loose forend grip and incorrect placement in the shoulder pocket of the stock will make anyone bruise.

Back