• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fitness for Survival

ChrisMossy said:
tcecil88 said:
ChrisMossy said:
Good on ya buddy! I was put on a few different meds and the side effects were not tolerable for me. I fixed all my blood pressure problems through weight loss. I am glad you're doing the same. Feels good doesn't it?

Thanks very much, it feels great, but I have a long way to go. I did 5.5 miles on the road this morning and 40 minutes on the eliptical tonight. My goal is 200. :)

Your goal is about the same as mine. I came from 370 to my current 260. Hoping for 200-220 in there somewhere.

Brother, that's awesome! With results like yours, my goal seems attainable.

I wish I had better pictures. I honestly just never thought about taking pictures during this. The first picture was a couple years ago at about 365lbs. Yes I was drunk in that picture. The second was 330lbs I believe and then the last is 265-270 I can't remember which. Current is 260. Chopped a large tree down today, drug it in section up to the house then split it all. Hoping that will help me lose that stubborn pound so I can bust into the 250's. Anyway maybe this will give some motivation to people wondering or struggling.

197485_10151261058134002_934828655_n.jpg

Thanks, definitely will. Weighed in this morning at 258.4lbs. Hoping for 245-250 by Christmas this year. But that's gonna be hard with all the good food that is gonna be floating around haha. I need to find more wood to split with an axe. I gotta say I'm getting more of a work out chopping down trees, bucking them and splitting it into firewood than I do when I jog.

congratulations on the weight loss.

My son finished his first marathon today. burn thru a lot of calories in the process and its rough on the body. he can barely walk right now. while its probably a longer distance faster than most will have to go at any time, its rough.

Fronty Owner said:
congratulations on the weight loss.

My son finished his first marathon today. burn thru a lot of calories in the process and its rough on the body. he can barely walk right now. while its probably a longer distance faster than most will have to go at any time, its rough.

I can relate. I recently ran a 21 mile trail race. MapMyRun calculated my calorie consumption at 3500+. My left iliotibial band is still giving me some knee pain three weeks later. Then again, I'm old and it takes me quite a bit longer to recover than it used to.

If you can do it, thats good, but in a critical event, you shouldn't do it. Covering 20 miles in a day will get you a long way, but not if it takes you out of the game for three recovering. Pacing yourself is a better tactic.

And congrats on a 21 mile trail run. that was probably harder than 26.2 on pavement.

I ended up taking from Wednesday to Monday off running. I got in 6 minutes monday as part of the couch to 5K plan. It hurt and looking at my pace results from Nike+, I was fading. After a 5 minute walk, i was feeling OK again.

I picked up my brother after he did a 26 miler a couple weeks ago here in Indy. He could not hardly walk and was throwing up everywhere. He says it is the last 26 miler he will do. Weather was nasty, mid 30's to low 40's and rain. Found him soaking wet in a ball on the cold concrete in the wind, but out of the rain. Got him wrapped up in the space blankets they give out but he was still shivering an hour and a half later at home. Hypothermia I figured. He is good now, but he says he will go back to doing the half marathons.
I want to walk the Mini Marathon here in Indy next May. 13 miles. The last 2.5 is a lap around the Brickyard. I think you have to maintain a 13-15 min mile?

the race my son did was passing out space blankets at the end of the run... and it was 60* at the end of the race. I couldn't image finishing in the low 40s in the rain without a blanket. then again, I had a space blanket in my truck along with a fleece blanket.
Like all the "survival" guys on the various shows say, you sweat, you freeze, you die. even in warm temperatures, you sweat or get wet, you will dump heat in a hurry.
13 to 15 minute mile is a pretty good pace. my "run" is 10 minute mile. I could probably do a 1/2 marathon at a 17 minute mile pace.
My son ran a mile last night, he said he wasn't hurting, but didn't want to push it.

Wow! Handing out space blankets at 60°. I ran a 5K obstacle race back in October. The air temp was about 45°. They put us in a lake for about 200 yards. My guess is the water temp was around 40°. That was about 1/3 of the way into the race. The cold water cranked up my heartbeat and sapped my strength like nothing I've ever experienced before. Still, I was able to push through it and finish 55th out of about 725 racers.

No space blankets at the end. :D

On a somewhat related note, I've been able to push my shorter distance times (3-6 miles) quite a bit lower than before my 21 mile race. I recently did a three-mile, off-pavement training run over a relatively flat course at a 7:15/mile pace. I'm fairly happy with that for a 48 year-old geezer who, up until a year ago, hadn't run in more than 25 years.

My next goal is to push my mile pace down below 7 minutes for a 3 mile run.

Im happy with my 10:00/mile pace at almost 40... then again, Ive never been a runner.

Im back on my running schedule after a week off for the holidays. I did an un-official 5K on new years eve.

I try and go to the gym but i always end up breaking my routine. Im 226 and stand at 5'8. I not gigantic but ive always been chubby. Im pretty stout as im a tradeworker, but always have too many pounds on my body. I do a lot of aggressive mountain hiking in the summer, and regardless of my physical shape i can always hike all day long. trying to change my diet to only healthy things and trying to cut my portions down, been snowshoeing a bit and doing a lot of ice fishing. just wish i could lose 30 or so pounds and keep it off. Also I smoke which is just terrible, so I struggle with that a lot too.

My story is a little different. I ran cross country and swam in High School and College. That was 43 years ago. Since, I've done literally nothing to get in shape. In late August my 5'11" frame was carrying nearly 200# and I felt all of 63 years old. I decided that had to stop. I changed my diet and started a Paleo diet. Heavy on vegetables, fruit and meat...lots of meat protein. I lost nearly 20# as of this writing and sit at 178#.

I walk and lightly jog for an hour at least once every day, sometimes twice daily. I lift on my Bowflex and swing a kettle bell. I am doing lunges and squats to bring back the muscle structure in my legs and recently reached a goal of 25 push-ups. My new push-up goal is 50, and I feel like a million. (Probably drop dead tomorrow)

Paleo cuts out all dairy except that derived from grass fed stock and un-pasteurized. Meat from pastured and all grass fed meats is preferred. Wild caught fish is also recommended. No grains or grain products, no rice, pasta, sodas, alcohol (I cheat here), sugar, limited salt, no corn or canola oil, I cook in bacon fat or coconut oil.

My cholesterol is in normal range for the first time in ten years, my blood sugar is normal and I was diagnosed a year ago as borderline type 2 diabetic. It has worked for me.....

Now if I could just give up the beer.... :roll:

I'm in pretty poor shape as of right now. I'm 44 years old weigh 203. I was at 225 at my heaviest. Well back in early April I started to diet and got down to 189. I went on a cruise and it all went down hill from there. Currently there is like no food in our house so when we go shopping its gonna be all healthier foods and back to the diet. My wife has lost 70 pounds and I'm so proud of her. Unfortunately all she wanted to do when we got back from Bermuda, on Sunday, was get back on her gym routine but she came down with a cold. I'll be joining her 3 times a week and watching what I eat. I quit smoking in February and now I need to get myself in shape. I'm hoping to get down to 180 lbs. by New Years. I'm shooting for 160lbs. by next summer.

Sinkhole said:
I'm in pretty poor shape as of right now. I'm 44 years old weigh 203. I was at 225 at my heaviest. Well back in early April I started to diet and got down to 189. I went on a cruise and it all went down hill from there. Currently there is like no food in our house so when we go shopping its gonna be all healthier foods and back to the diet. My wife has lost 70 pounds and I'm so proud of her. Unfortunately all she wanted to do when we got back from Bermuda, on Sunday, was get back on her gym routine but she came down with a cold. I'll be joining her 3 times a week and watching what I eat. I quit smoking in February and now I need to get myself in shape. I'm hoping to get down to 180 lbs. by New Years. I'm shooting for 160lbs. by next summer.

Do you have space for a garden? Say 1000sqft? Tending a garden with a variety of veggies will give you both exercise and good grub. Mine is about 2000sqft and we grow something nearly all year long, rotating between cool and warm weather. Most parts of the US can grow at least a few things for most of the year, and even in off season there's alway tilling and turning to do. It's also an excellent way to cut down on your grocery bill and get the whole family involved. Check with your local Co-Op for what works in your area.

Real world? Walk in steep hills or sand for 2 hours at a brisk pace, and in all seasons. Climb a tree once in a while. Pushups, sit-ups, pull-ups. Shoot a lot!

Back