• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Five pound Dry Aged Ribeye Roast into two Forty Ounce 2" Steaks <pics>

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Oh

My

God

Dry Aged for weeks. Just right for full flavor. We are ready for some spectacular culinary enjoyment

This is going to be amazing. We did this a few weeks ago and it was utterly fantastic when cooked over the coals of a white hot hardwood fire. Alas, I took no photos so let me repeat the big event with some pics. Dalmation seasoning. Medium rare.

Last edited:
So it went wonderfully well... or medium rare actually. I told Kathy that if she could eat the entire 40-oz Ribeye it would be FREE, to which she laughed since it wasn't ever going to be free.

This needed NOTHING other than the dalmation seasoning... no sauce or butter or enhancements of any kind.

We caught a good sale on this meat for $5.99 / lb in the whole cryovac. Glad we got some. Aged it at home we did.

Wow that looks great!

I bought a 10 pound choice rib roast for Christmas, and it was great but but it didn't get aged and nearly long enough.

I would really like to do one in a smoker, but so far I don't have a real smoker. Just propane and Mesquite chips.

I would be inclined to say that YOU SUCK for posting these pics ;) but we got a cooler full of "Omaha Steaks" gifted to us over the holidays so life (and the meat) has been good! :D

As an added bonus, my son (14yo) and I were able to perform all sorts of scientific "experiments" with the solid CO2 ("dry ice") contained within the cooler! Did you know that a Powerade container pressurized with a small bit of water and many chunks of dry ice evaporating is resistant to 10 pumps from a BB rifle? :D

The pic below is of a chunk evaporating in a metal dog bowl with a thin film of dish soap floating on top... :)

dryice.JPG

Last edited:
So in keeping with my practice of eating red meat every two weeks, I have cut a NY Strip Loin Roast into five steaks SO THICK that they are each standing vertical on their edges without any support, ready to get the fire tomorrow evening.

Don't know what each weighs but they are about 1.5" thick.

Anyone ever have Kobe beef? I had some in Texas once. I have not been able to find anywhere around here who has it or can get it....
It was frikkin delicious......

I'm thinking that these strip steaks are so thick that after cooking they will need ketchup to make them moist and taste delicious.

I would typically Brown them on the barbecue, then broil them over a pan of broth, and then make gravy.

Oh yeah... I broke the news to my wife tonight that I'm buying a smoker.

No editing other than reducing image size to fit screen. No saturation or color manipulation. Straight up lighting from my kitchen fluorescents and oven hood tungsten filament.

Have the hardwood split and ready to go! Just waiting for my darling wife to get home and settle in after her workday.

Buy a Weber Smoky Mountain. You'll thank me later.

I Thank you now.

I've done a little more reading on the subject and I'm leaning back to my first idea, which was to build a smoker.

After seeing the mods people are doing, and their suggestions on technique, the shortcomings of low thermal mass and poor air control on all the consumer-grade products becomes apparent.

I've seen a few home-builts that were pretty sturdy, and 40 years ago I actually built one from a 30gal steel drum and an old steel bedframe. But it was crude, and I could do much better today.

However I'm at the office and I'm still out of acetylene. and there are 6 barbecue joints on the 10 mile ride home.
;)

I don't buy A1 steak sauce since they quit putting in all the the anchovies. It's not the original recipe anymore.

Normally I'm doing dry rub. I'm Browning on the grill, and then and I'm roasting them over a pan to finish.

Whatever I start out with in the pan, and whatever drips off of the meat becomes the sauce.

But now that I know there's another one I have to try the HP Sauce. My Natural Curiosity makes it unavoidable.:rolleyes:

Good Lord... I just looked at the pictures of that meat again.

I'm going smoker shopping after the rifle range today.

I don't know if you guys have shop rite stores near ya, but that's where I found it locally...

Back