• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Five pound Dry Aged Ribeye Roast into two Forty Ounce 2" Steaks <pics>

I have really never had a lot of time for barbecuing until lately, and so I'm just starting to get serious about it.

For years I just been using a propane BBQ because I didn't have time to deal with charcoal.

How in the hell did you survive? On Propane and gray meat protein without color or flavor?? Really? You Philistine.

phil·is·tine2
[ˈfiləˌstēn]
NOUN
  1. a person who is hostile or indifferent to culture and the arts, or who has no understanding of them:
    "I am a complete philistine when it comes to paintings"

LOL
That reminds me about the Baptist lady that had 12 children and she had named each one after a tribe of Israel.

Then one day the husband tells their pastor that his wife is pregnant again, with their 13th child.

" Good Lord!" Said the pastor. "You'll have to name him after a Philistine!"

BTW, I learned how to smoke meat on a propane grill a long time ago, but it's much harder to do, and even on my big grill it takes up too much room. I just didn't have enough time for that kind of cooking when I was working, and a good part of that was just learning how to do it.

Consequently I usually bought smoked meat from restaurants. My former company did the structural design for one of the Premier barbecue houses in Fresno which is the Dog House Grill across the street from Save Mart Center.

Between my old office and my house there were no less than 6 barbecue places in 10 miles. Don't get the impression that I was deprived.

After I charged up the Weber last night, I put in a small pork roast & let It go for 6 hours. It was already marinated in Mesquite and when about 2/3 through I basted it with sauce and turned it over.

This worked really well. Now I've taken my wife out for BBQ twice in the past 2 weeks, to our two favorite places in Clovis. My wife told me that the chicken that she had Thursday at Uncle Buddy's BBQ was the best barbecue chicken she'd ever had.

But when she got up this morning I fed her a piece of the pork roast I smoked last night, and she almost died on the spot.

She told me it was the best barbecue she had ever had.

I'm embarrassed to say that until 10 years ago I thought barbeque was getting together and cooking hot dogs and hamburgers on a grill. Thanks to changing jobs and having nothing to do for 2 weeks I started reading about real bbq. Hey, I already know what the minion method is! Anyway, Nitesite it sounds like you have it down using hot coals.

When you guys mention charcoal I hope you are using good quality hardwood lump charcoal. A lot of the cheap stuff has clay filler in it.

This is by far the best bbq book I have ever read. Every Yankee should be forced to read it. He has real bbq-ing down pat and his writing style is very down to earth. https://www.amazon.com/Great-American-Barbecue-Grilling-Manual/dp/0936171030

Well all of this grilling and eating has been distracting from my loading and shooting, but I'm having an awful good time here just the same.

My BBQ experiences are rather limited, and your advice is more than welcome folks.

Back