• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Flea market find

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Once in awhile a lil treasure shows up if you look hard enough. Found a sweet lil Colt 6/3 marked carry handle. For a wopping 10 bucs ! Im sure not everyone will appreciate but for an old fart like me this is a treasure these days. Wasnt sure were to post so i picked here. It will end up on a quasi resto daves modded version of an IDF build . Pics of that to follow as completed. Waiting on a few parts.20170429_081148.jpg 14934736010801782583726.jpg

You had me at retro idf build.

Looking forward to seeing it.

I've only done 1 retro'ish build over the years.

Lots of Colt parts on/in it. But has a few more modern enhancements too. Namely the 1:7 twist barrel which is an FN chromed barrel mounted to an M4 marked flat-top upper, meprolight front night sight. Detachable carry handle rear sight like the one you found today and A2 stock with a flat coil chrome silicone buffer spring.

I guess you could say it's kind of a mish-mash franken-bastard, but it's a good shooter and I like it, so that's all that really matters. It's not going anywhere.

Like Han solo said about the millennium falcon, "it may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts kid".

d14486c9-5e8f-4e77-ba38-59f7b5924acf_zpsc2npmire.jpg

f2d3d27b-e453-479c-8433-d750b6eaf857_zps0pmtv2px.jpg

Nice. I like simple. Ive done several variations they keep ending up with kids or there husbands. Im making this one for me finally. Simple IDF style carbine but some changes that suit me not a true clone for the purist. Im going 1/7 also with mid length gas system.

Fantastic.

While I do appreciate seeing period correct guns, I also appreciate seeing someone that knows what they want, and doing it their way.

I have a few firearms that idf has issued over the years. Fal. CZ75. Ruger 10/22. Mac10. About the only one that even resembles an idf issue is my old uzi and that's because I like it just the way it is. Although I do like the wood stock better than the folder and threaded the barrel and added a flashider and can suppress it, but technically, there was a prototype like that in the late 60's. I just need to track down a bayonet lug for it.

uzi long barrel.jpg

I found some carry handles at a mil surplus stand at a flea market last weekend. They were $20-30 and pretty beat up compared to the one you got. Nice score!

I like beat up. Il take that over a brand new shiny chinese knockoff any day. I get lucky now and then im in a military town next to army post always on look out for goodys. The older stuff isnt as frequent as it once was though.

Once in awhile a lil treasure shows up if you look hard enough. Found a sweet lil Colt 6/3 marked carry handle. For a wopping 10 bucs ! Im sure not everyone will appreciate but for an old fart like me this is a treasure these days.

I'm going to have to say "YOU SUCK" on this find! ;) That is a nice score for a forged handle! Clean ones easily go for $30-$40 on Debay--ratty for around $20. Cast knock-offs are about $20 new. I thought I lucked out when I got mine and paid around $20.

I'm going to have to say "YOU SUCK" on this find! ;) That is a nice score for a forged handle! Clean ones easily go for $30-$40 on Debay--ratty for around $20. Cast knock-offs are about $20 new. I thought I lucked out when I got mine and paid around $20.

Heck id take a real one all day for 20 bucs. As for knock off couldn't give me one for free. You did good buddy.

I actually ran across another old colt handle at a local army surplus store. They dont have ffl but dabble in non regulated parts now and then. It was in display case i asked to see it. They explained it was ugly when they found it so they "fixed" it with a black cerakote job.
Passed

I call tell you by the forgers mark just forward of the rear sight housing, this particular handle was made by Anchor Harvey.

The "splintered A" is their trademark. You can see it on their website too because it's a part of their corporate logo.

http://www.anchorharvey.com/

Not saying it didn't go on a Colt, because it probably did, but Anchor is the company that actually made the carry handle.

Yes that is 100% correct. They were one of the forges making these for colt back in the day. There were several.

There's still a handful of forgers in the US.

Anchor, Cardinal and Alcoa (in no particular order) being my 3 favorites.

Like most other AR "manufacturers" out there, Colt makes hardly none of their parts and outsource everything to subcontractors.

I'm pretty certain that Olympic Arms is the last company to actually make the bulk of their parts in-house.

1493850710432482839117.jpg Yeah ive seen with the A or birdhead and keyhole and also a small square. Another easy tell tale is the base up and down marks will be spaced on Colts note U P. D N. Not UP or DNView attachment 15070

Last edited:
Would you fellas be so kind as to brush me up on my AR history? I don't recognize the IDF acronym. Are these handles valueable because they were issued on flat top M4's? Im wanting to build an A1, or A2 clone. And I purchased a new Olympic Arms forged carry handle upper. Will that give me any authenticity, or will it still be just a run of the mill Franken rifle?

IDF= Israeli Defense Force

234px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png

Olympic has had numerous military contracts supplying parts to various branches over the years and also has sold parts to other AR companies as well.

To my knowledge, Olympic is the only AR company still making A1 uppers these days. And they're made in much more limited runs due to the majority of sales that focus on flat tops.

And depending on whether the sale falls through or not, may cease altogether.

edit: https://hebrewhammerblog.com/2014/11/20/idf-m16-variants-menusar/

You should definetly not waste time with that upper. In fact il do you a solid and take it off your hands . Those carry handles aint super collectors or anything just not around as much as once were. Now a good ole a1 upper that you used to could not give away thats special on my book these days.

John, I believe rock river sells a forged carry handle upper as well. Who makes it for them I can't say. I do remember it being considerably less in cost than Oly.

Just finished her up. Not really a true IDF clone by any stretch. But my version of what i like in a kiss rifle. Waiting on sling still. 1/7 middy nitride. F sight and rear carry handle m16 bcg a1 grip yadda yadda. Thats a20170503_211439.jpg n older Specops brand simple chest rig ive had a good while and like its high ride and simplicity. Il do some shooting tommorrow and let yall know how it goes.

Back