1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

FLEX 590 Tactical stock and forend set QUESTION

Discussion in 'ATI' started by stigmata, Dec 15, 2012.

1. stigmata

stigmata 20g

ATIgunstocksUSA....

Mossberg Talon Tactical Shotgun Stock and Forend
    Part #A.1.10.1145
    Six Position Adjustable Talon Tactical Shotgun Stock and Forend with Scorpion Recoil System, Triton Mount System and Adjustable Cheekrest

is the part on your website (Part #A.1.10.1145) in your tactical mossberg section compatible with the FLEX 590 Tactical Tool-less Locking System (TLS).
    by the looks it seems to be, but by the instructions, it is clearly not the same for a FLEX 590 TLS
    and your fit/compatible area in the description says: "Fits Most 12 Ga Mossberg 500/535/590/835 Shotguns", but nothing about FLEX 590.

i realy want this set up for my FLEX 590, coud you tell me if you all have a product for my FLEX :?:
  2. stigmata

stigmata 20g

Well since ATI rep never chimed in here, I called them to get my answer.
    Now I didn't get thru to them but left a message and Walter (I believe it was) called me back about an hour later and answered all my questions about the talon tactical stock.
    They really have some top notch customer service.
    Unfortunately the talon tactical stock will not work with the existing flex TLS and only the 500/590 models will work with that setup.
    Although he did recommended if I could possibly remove the plate that houses the TLS and replace it with a std receiving plate then their talon stock will work.
    But I told him that would defeat the purpose of the FLEX system, and he agreed. I guess if I really want the talon on my flex then a little modification is in order, but I don't think I'm ready to remove the TLS setup just yet.... hell, I don't even know if it can be done.
    Could be a possibility but I don't want to be the test dummy either.
    Who knows maybe some one here has already done that and could fill us in....

Overall I am WAY impressed with ATI even if they couldn't help me with my particular situation, they still took the time to try to see if there was a possible way it could work, but I know somewhere down the road they will be able to help me, and I'm totally there.
    Even though I may have not bought something from them, they already gained a new customer for future business.
  3. Frank Castle

Frank Castle .270 WIN

Stigmata,

Unfortunatly it sounds like you are the official MO guinne pig for the Flex System. I am curious though, can you take the flex adapter off the receiver? I know it would defeat the purpose of the flex system, but do you have the capability to turn it into a Stock 590? If you can, you would be able to use any stock currently out there, and also have the option for the flex systems.

Frank
  4. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Good call Frank...
  5. stigmata

stigmata 20g

Well I know I can't be the only flex owner on the forum, but I seem to be the one who wants to modify a flex the most from posts here... :lol: now its not because I'm not satisfied with it, I Totally Am, I just want the options the rest of you all here have without the flex TLS adaptor.

I have actually talked to both ATI and Mossberg techs within the last week and both have confirmed that the adaptor piece is in fact removable and can attach a standard stock once removed.
    So it should work in theory, and I say this because neither one of the techs I talked to have never tried to do that on the flex, so I will have to be y'alls guinea pig on this mod....all I need is the ATI tactical stock and its on with the project. (Anyone care to donate a ATI tactical stock, to speed things up a little :lol: can't hurt to ask right....)
    And worst case scenario is I can't do the swap and have to be satisfied with the flex and wait till the aftermarket parts catch up with this model, but if it works, now I'll have the best of both worlds and the options are limitless.....
  6. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Removing the flex adapter is going to be your best bet.

The Flex system itself is Mossberg's way of creating a proprietary market for accessories, so it's highly unlikely that there will ever be any aftermarket support...
  7. stigmata

stigmata 20g

man that would be a real shame......in this instance i hope your wrong LES :|

ATI already has partnership/products with mossberg and all of its other models, why not the FLEX :?:
    hope its not the $$ and that they want to keep this flex system all to themselves, cuz now i would be the owner of a red-headed stepchild with no alternative options..... :evil:
  8. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Have you contacted Mossberg to find out what their plans are for future Flex system accessories?

Might be worth a phone call...
  9. stigmata

stigmata 20g

sounds like a plan.....i will.

i did actually call mossberg earlier friday, last week, but that was to see if the flex adaptor was removeable and if so, would the standard stocks work with the TLS adaptor removed.....

got a long drive back to va. from fl. in a few days, so i got about 10hrs to kill on the drive home to call them and be put on hold for 25 min. b4 you get thru to them (good thing i have unlimmited minutes :D ), and i will ask them what future plans hold for the flex line as far as accessories go....

oddly enough, i did ask that very question to the ATI rep when i spoke with him, if they were gonna be getting the FLEX accessories as well later down the road, but he didnt know and couldnt directly answer that for me, but he did say it was a possibility ;) , but that was it.
  10. stigmata

stigmata 20g

Called Mossberg today to find out the answer to my flex accessory question. I spoke with the tech rep for parts and he told me that they got a new 2013 line coming out soon but he was not aware of any FLEX items on that list. He did however say that he was expecting some stuff to be out for the flex, but he wasn't sure when.
    It all seems like one big mystery as to when flex accessories may become available.
    I might as well try to take the flex adaptor off and convert it to a normal 590 so I can use those accessories available now, and if by some miracle, the shotgun gods decide to make flex accessories, I'll convert back!
  11. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Looks like a plan to me...
  12. hanoverfiste

hanoverfiste .410

Were you ever able to accomplish this? Removing the "FLEX" from the Mossberg 590? My wife just purchased me a 500 and ATI stock. I really would not want to sell/return the stock.
  13. stigmata

stigmata 20g

Hanoverfiste
    I am still contemplating doing this, just haven't actually done it yet.
    Been having issues with my cartridge pickup and wanted to get that working right first.
    Still waiting on my parts from Mossberg to come in.

Now it seems it can be done, just have to remove a pin that slides into the TLS and a screw from the lever itself underneath, and once u remove the locking lever, u can access the screw that holds the plate in place.

Just haven't performed it yet, plus I don't have an ATI stock yet either to use......
  14. hanoverfiste

hanoverfiste .410

Would these be the pin and screw you are speaking of?

[​IMG]
    Screw

[​IMG]
    Pin

I am looking at your other thread with the actual Mossberg accessories they are nice but I just don't want to sell/return this stock unless I absolutely have to
  15. stigmata

stigmata 20g

Yup those are the ones.
    Once those 2 items are removed you should be able to pull the "T" lever all the way off and access the bolt that is behind it.

Now since I don't have a regular stock that is not a FLEX, so I don't know if it will just bolt on or if an adaptor for the regular accessories is needed to put on the buttstock.
  16. stigmata

stigmata 20g

The other accessories r just a personal look I want to accomplish as well as better feel for the gun. Still want to change a few more items, especially the flex system.
    If u find u don't like the ATI stock, I'd be interested in it.
  17. hanoverfiste

hanoverfiste .410

If I cant remove this FLEX adapter I may take you up on that. Thanks for the help
  18. stigmata

stigmata 20g

Not a problem. I just haven't done it because I didn't have anything to use once I removed it.
  19. hanoverfiste

hanoverfiste .410

Here you go I realize this is a 590 thread but here is my 500 FLEX with ATI stock installed
    [​IMG]
  20. stigmata

stigmata 20g

Dude that looks sweeeeeet.
    Nice job.
    So did it come off as I explained it, or was there more involved in removing the flex adaptor.
    Did you need anything special or different plate to put on the new setup?