• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FliteControl questions

blue

20g
Okay so a couple Qs, more about the gun shooting them than the load itself.

1. Does the choke matter? The cup contains the entire load in the barrel, and stays with the load for a brief time if I understand it correctly (Love slow shotgun firing footage on youtube! :cool: ) So how does the gun's choke really affect the pattern? Anybody test that aspect? This could be the dumbest question ever, but I'm curious.

2. I have read random folks on the net saying that a ported barrel will "kill" some of the advantages of the design by hastening the seperation. Anybody know if there is any truth to this? Not a problem with my 590a1 18.5 barrel, but the 28 incher I have on the way is ported and comes with choketubes.

Any insight is appreciated. Guesses welcome too! :lol:

I think its a good question Blue and one I dont really know the answer to. I have found the FC wad imbedded in a 25 yard target with all pellets closely surounding it (one pellet still in the shot cup) So point taken, the shot cup/wad does stay with the pellets well after leaving the muzzle.

So now I'm curious too. How will a choke (or barrel work) improve the pattern of FC loads?

that's the eternal question i have; how would the barrel work, i.e. lenghting the forcing cone and polishing inside the barrel, improve the performance of Flitecontrol ammo? AimPro says their barrel work improves any buckshot performance but is specifically designed for FC ammo. I certainly don't doubt their claim, I plan on sending my 590 to them in a couple months. Im just curious as to how it makes an outstanding round even better. hmmmm... :?:

cavscout said:
that's the eternal question i have; how would the barrel work, i.e. lenghting the forcing cone and polishing inside the barrel, improve the performance of Flitecontrol ammo? AimPro says their barrel work improves any buckshot performance but is specifically designed for FC ammo. I certainly don't doubt their claim, I plan on sending my 590 to them in a couple months. Im just curious as to how it makes an outstanding round even better. hmmmm... :?:

How can it get much better than 1 inch pattern at 10 yards (my experience)? :eek:

catnphx said:
cavscout said:

How can it get much better than 1 inch pattern at 10 yards (my experience)? :eek:

That's my question as well. I'm mentally dealing with the fact that regardless of the choke, when the shot leaves the cup, it's the diameter of the cup, no? So whatever happened before that event is irrelevant. It seems like it's an ultra-mega-double-full-bore in a shell.

If you are seeking to "tighten up" the pattern of Federal FliteControl buckshot ammo by sending your barrel off to AimPro or anybody else, or changing chokes, you are wasting your money. You might as well just spend the money buying TruBall slugs or more FliteControl Buck and shoot a lot more, which most of us really ought to do more often.

blue said:
1. Does the choke matter? The cup contains the entire load in the barrel, and stays with the load for a brief time if I understand it correctly (Love slow shotgun firing footage on youtube! :cool: ) So how does the gun's choke really affect the pattern? Anybody test that aspect? This could be the dumbest question ever, but I'm curious.
Yes and no. Defensive/duty loads are typically geared towards an IC or C barrel. The Federal and Hornady wads (they are the same actually) are designed to keep the shot together by the action of the wad after it leaves the barrel. The plating and buffering along with the propellant help out as well.
Choke matters in that you can have too much choke, which will cause the shot to slam together. That can deform the shot or disrupt it if the restriction is too tight, resulting in bad patterning.
2. I have read random folks on the net saying that a ported barrel will "kill" some of the advantages of the design by hastening the seperation. Anybody know if there is any truth to this? Not a problem with my 590a1 18.5 barrel, but the 28 incher I have on the way is ported and comes with choketubes.
The porting problem is typically with ported chokes, rather than ported barrels, which are usually ported farther back from the muzzle. The porting can disrupt the gasses and shot cup as the shot cup exits the barrel. That is the hangup with ports and FC.
I have a ported 930 SPX barrel that shoots FC loads just fine.

Rossignol said:
So now I'm curious too. How will a choke (or barrel work) improve the pattern of FC loads?
Depending on the choke you may see no difference. As above, if the choke is too constrictive it can interrupt the passage of the shot cup or slow it down/deform it slightly, which will mess up the shot as it sits in the cup. Ported choke tubes can unevenly depoly the FC cups, and the ones that have "fingers" inside the choke that are meant to peel the shot cup/wads away from the shot itself will mess FC loads right up.

cavscout said:
The forcing cone work eases the transition of the shot load from the shell into the bore by lengthening the "ramp." This allows less of the disruption that I've mentioned that occur even with FC loads inside the bore. It prevents the shot cup (and thus the shot) from being immediately squeezed down, which can deform the shot slightly. This allows the shot to be more sperical and the FC wad to retain its shape better, and fly "truer." This prevents asymmetrical opening of the shot cup, which is what leads to pattern spread and holes in the pattern. In effect, it allows the FC loads to extend the B zone out a little farther than normal.

catnphx said:
Look at it the other way: rather than having a pattern that is X inches across at Y yards, you have a pattern that is X inches across at Y+10 yards. It won't appreciably tighten the pattern at close range (usually unless you just have a bad barrel or a barrel that doesn't like a particular load), but it will keep the pattern tighter longer.

blue said:
That's my question as well. I'm mentally dealing with the fact that regardless of the choke, when the shot leaves the cup, it's the diameter of the cup, no?
Yes, but that cup is the diameter of the muzzle as well.
So whatever happened before that event is irrelevant. It seems like it's an ultra-mega-double-full-bore in a shell.
Not exactly. Yes, if you have a restriction before the muzzle that then opens back up to the diameter of the muzzle prior to the end of the barrel, then that restriction won't do much to keep the pattern tightly concentrated. However it WILL potentially deform the projos, causing them to become less spherical. It can also increase drag if you will upon the shot cup, disrupting the cup and load, thus impacting pattern.

nitesite said:
If you are seeking to "tighten up" the pattern of Federal FliteControl buckshot ammo by sending your barrel off to AimPro or anybody else, or changing chokes, you are wasting your money. You might as well just spend the money buying TruBall slugs or more FliteControl Buck and shoot a lot more, which most of us really ought to do more often.
Unless you just want to tighten up the FC pattern at longer ranges, in which case it isn't wasting your money. Some people also may not be allowed to use slugs, and some may be required to use buck. As such, the barrel work can make sense.
But I will agree that shooting more is usually a good idea.

M24, very thorough as usual. Thank You!

I agree with you and NiteSite both, more shooting is always a good thing! Having explained how lengthening the forcing cone works, I can see the benefits of the work. FC loads are already amazing, and the possibility of making a 60 yard shot with 00 is mind blowing. I'm able to achieve even coverage on a 14" x 14" target at 50 yards and your explanation of how the barrel work allows or makes possible the load holding together longer is something I can appreciate as its designed to improve patterns and extend range. That can make for better hunting!

Rossignol said:
M24, very thorough as usual. Thank You!
'Salright.
I agree with you and NiteSite both, more shooting is always a good thing! Having explained how lengthening the forcing cone works, I can see the benefits of the work. FC loads are already amazing, and the possibility of making a 60 yard shot with 00 is mind blowing. I'm able to achieve even coverage on a 14" x 14" target at 50 yards and your explanation of how the barrel work allows or makes possible the load holding together longer is something I can appreciate as its designed to improve patterns and extend range. That can make for better hunting!
Or duty use. Or defensive use outdoors.
Keeping the pattern tighter lets the B zone push out farther, meaning you don't have to worry about taking the time to select slug if you're into that or have a less effective round due to pattern spread and donuts. It also prevents leakers going by the target and possibly hitting an unintended target.

oli700 said:
m24shooter said:
Some people also may not be allowed to use slugs.

In the United States :?: Surly you jest
Nope. Shotguns are used for a variety of reasons and under a variety of rules, assumptions, concessions, and compromises.

On a related note, any interference to TruBall due to the barrel work?

Oh snap! Answered my questions and a couple I didn't ask! Thanks a heap! The forcing cone work makes all the sense in the world with the whole "deformation = bad" thing. Thank goodness it's beyond my needs so I don't have to worry about getting it done! :lol:

m24shooter said:
Rossignol said:
On a related note, any interference to TruBall due to the barrel work?
None that I've noticed.
Blue, hope you find the information helpful.

As I said, my choke question was absolutely thoroughly answered, and I was educated, to my ability to understand it, on how the forcing cone work can actually as someone said "be designed to take advantage the flight control ammo".

I'm now curious about the 835 barrel I just picked up, which is overbored. obviously slugs are out of the question, but I would love to A/B my standard 590a1 barrel, with the 835 barrel and see how the load functions at range with the IC choke. Unfortunately the 835 barrel is 10 inches longer and ported... But I will be calling mossberg about the 18.5 inch 835 barrel and asking if that is overbored as well. It could be an interesting test, and giving up slugs wouldn't be such a bad thing if it added 10 or more yards to the effective range of the flight control. After all, I'm not fighting a war. It's home defense, property defense gun that might get packed when I'm in Bear Country. I'm talking grizz and browns, not blacks.

blue said:
giving up slugs wouldn't be such a bad thing if it added 10 or more yards to the effective range of the flight control. After all, I'm not fighting a war. It's home defense, property defense gun that might get packed when I'm in Bear Country. I'm talking grizz and browns, not blacks.

If I may I ask, why your confidence in buckshot being your choice (over slugs like a Brenneke) when dealing with large bears? Blacks are like the least of your worries so I assume you are definitely "armed for bear" in a very real sense.

I do support your conclusion and assesment that for home defense/property defense**, your choice to incorporate effective buckshot loads is totally correct.

** - within certain limitations of range or structural barriers

Buck is pretty bad-azz. It's pretty good, but it ain't all that awesome. So when you are slicing the pie and want to shoot straight thru a false wall that has sheetrock on both sides plus wall studs because the BG is curling up around the corner and shouting that he's going to kill you I hope that my whisper in your ear is heard: .... "slug"

Someone hiding behind a couch/sofa or a refrigerator and they are hurling bullets in your direction? Hope you brought something more than a buckshot-loaded shotgun!

nitesite said:
If I may I ask, why your confidence in buckshot being your choice (over slugs like a Brenneke) when dealing with large bears? Blacks are like the least of your worries so I assume you are definitely "armed for bear" in a very real sense.

I do support your conclusion and assesment that for home defense/property defense**, your choice to incorporate effective buckshot loads is totally correct.

** - within certain limitations of range or structural barriers

Buck is pretty bad-azz. It's pretty good, but it ain't all that awesome. So when you are slicing the pie and want to shoot straight thru a false wall that has sheetrock on both sides plus wall studs because the BG is curling up around the corner and shouting that he's going to kill you I hope that my whisper in your ear is heard: .... "slug"

Someone hiding behind a couch/sofa or a refrigerator and they are hurling bullets in your direction? Hope you brought something more than a buckshot-loaded shotgun!

Hey, I'm just a little ol' dude who wants to protect himself and his family. I don't ever want to shoot anybody. I'm banking on the fact that while the racking of the gun won't scare someone away, once the lead starts flying, the BG will hopefully commence a cost benefit analysis and determine that withdrawl is in their best interest. If not, they have to come to me. I can wait until the Poh-Poh shows up. They can't. And I have a built in fridge and cheap furniture. A couple direct hits from my kids nerf gun could take out the couch :lol:

As to the Bears, I tried to be clear that I'm not worried about Blacks. I tend to carry a 10mm handgun in the woods if there is a problem but I've had tons of "encounters" with blacks and have never felt threatened. However when I'm in Alaska, I do prefer a shotgun to the ever present 44 mags you see up there (they were standard load out in the boats and I didn't own any handguns of my own at the time). And I am quite experienced with bears and have been rushed more than once by Big Browns (worked for a fishing lodge up there for 4 summers). At the ranges involved (the point where you realize you ARE the point of focus) you don't need a slug. And for every false charge I've gotten there have been at least 10 stare downs. I'd just rather hold a gun than a can of spray or a banger while we're having our staring contest.

I have spent a couple 2 week stents in Alaska fighting wildfire. Remote camps and the Blacks were the most menacing and were harder to scare off. The only time I have been charged was by a Black Bear…..I don’t take any bear lightly as they can all kill you. You ever hunt one ? Have you seen the “death run”? Usually any bear will run off before you know they are even there but .....a 10mm , really

oli700 said:
I have spent a couple 2 week stents in Alaska fighting wildfire. Remote camps and the Blacks were the most menacing and were harder to scare off. The only time I have been charged was by a Black Bear…..I don’t take any bear lightly as they can all kill you. You ever hunt one ? Have you seen the “death run”? Usually any bear will run off before you know they are even there but .....a 10mm , really

I'm in western washington. It's a different situation than in Alaska. I've encountered HUNDREDS of blacks. I am confident in being able to assess my danger with Puget Sound region black bears. And yeah. If 3 or 4 rounds of 10mm won't take out a black, which I've never even felt compelled to draw, I guess it's just my time. I carry for the tweakers and their pit bulls, not bears, when I'm on my turf.

Like I said. I'm not operating under any delusions. I am a very experienced outdoors person in the Western U.S. and Alaska. I spent 4 summers guiding in alaska. That means I wasn't fishing. I was watching over folks who had no idea what they were doing.

Hate to get off topic but rarely get to talk to anyone on the net who knows about growing up in the PNW…been to Oregon much?

Yes, but very focused around steelhead fishing the blue ribbon waters. Rogue, umpqua, a litte bit on the Sandy. Not really the Deschutes at all. Where you at?

Back