• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Followers matched to mag tube extensions

Chadie

.270 WIN
I just started modding my 930. A man has to tinker, right? It has the cantilever slug barrel and a nordic components +5 mag tube. I have noticed the sticking problem with my GG&G follower Would the Delrin S&J follower remedy this? Also will the GG&G fit in my old 870 something or other....

First, I would look to see if I could figure out why any follower would be sticking.

Is something wrong with the magazine tube? Is it straight?

Is there corrosion or anything present that would cause the tolerance to be off in that area?

Is the follower slightly oversize or out of round?

No corrosion. Everything is new... so I would hope that the tube is not bent right out of the box. but it would be my first aluminum tube. I am used to steel tube like tacstar.

Have you checked the follower itself with a caliper to make sure the diameter is correct and that it may not have become slightly out of round during the cooling process/removal from the mold?

I would go with what John A said. I put in a GG&G follower to fix my sticking issue that I had with my 930 JM Pro which comes with a Nordic extension. Do you have the older style extension of the newer MXT extension? The JM Pro comes with the older style one.

All of those thinking your follower is sticking might want to check your mag tube spring. If there is a kink in the spring - or your spring is not perfectly straight then that might be your problem. Just had the same issue. After replacing my spring with a Wolff 65167 spring (45" generic spring with exactly 9" cut off) everything was fine.

Guys... perhaps it is the mag spring. Some of the followers are set up to have a tapered spring fit into the end. S&J, Mossberg OEM, even the GG&G to a certain extent. HOWEVER the spring that came with my mag tube extension from NC did not have a tapered end. Does the Wolff spring come with a tapered end? How about a stock spring on the JM Mossberg models (i am using initals because I don't wan't to butcher his name)

I got the nordic extension,follower,and spring and tapered it myself to fit snugly inside the follower, just use pliers to tighten up the last coil or two after cutting to the correct length and fit it inside your follower. That's how I did mine anyway, good luck!

The Wilson Combat Rem 870 Hi Viz Green Follower works fine with the OEM magazine spring.

I've got a few S&J followers still in the packaging because I didn't like the way the OEM spring worked with them.

Here is another rookie question I'll leave for open discussion. If 12GA rounds are all standardized to a certain size, e.g. circumference.
Shouldn't the inner size of the mag tube AND The Followers be pretty much standard also?

So wouldn't I be able to use a follower from another make and model?

My problem above was there was a small gap between the mag tube and the extension tube caused by the Streamlight rail I was using.
Two cures are, 1) stop using the rail, 2) use a longer follower that will wiggle less and feed smoother due to length (in theory)

Opinions?

Back