• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ford 6.8l v10?

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Anyone have any experience with this engine? Can you tell me anything other then they guzzle gas?

Have what appears to be a good opportunity on a F-350 with this engine.

A v10? Those things drink gas like no tomorrow....figure about 14 mpg...

Ironically my dainty chevy 305 TBI only is getting 15 and I cant tow anything with it without it bogging down. The 305 is hands down the worst engine and heads Chevy has ever put into a truck.

My rationalization is at least I would have power and towing capacity.

My old boss has the V10 & it really pulls the mail. I'd say it uses about twice the gas of my Tacoma but it is literally twice the truck. He might get 14 on level ground on a good day when he's not pulling anything. I'd say he generally gets close to 12. It has not been the most trouble-free vehicle ever but in every case they were able to repair it without an act of God.

I don't think the 305 has any stroke (=no torque unless you can wind it up.) I drove exactly one of those in a Caprice and I didn't like it. Later I bought a slightly older Caprice with the 350 which was OK for a GM.

Ironically my dainty chevy 305 TBI only is getting 15 and I cant tow anything with it without it bogging down. The 305 is hands down the worst engine and heads Chevy has ever put into a truck.

My rationalization is at least I would have power and towing capacity.

That's some truth on the 305 Chevy. My 4x4 '68 1/2 ton has a high compression 327 and a granny 4 speed and it gets 13 mpg but it does make power.

MikeD I would google search message boards on that truck and engine combo. I'm not to familiar with Jeeps so that's what I did last year when we helped my daughter get a '98 Wrangler. I had a list of things to look for before I ever left the house. The F350 with a V-10 sounds like a beast. Let us know what you do and good luck.

That's some truth on the 305 Chevy. My 4x4 '68 1/2 ton has a high compression 327 and a granny 4 speed and it gets 13 mpg but it does make power.

MikeD I would google search message boards on that truck and engine combo. I'm not to familiar with Jeeps so that's what I did last year when we helped my daughter get a '98 Wrangler. I had a list of things to look for before I ever left the house. The F350 with a V-10 sounds like a beast. Let us know what you do and good luck.
Ive done a fair amoint of research over the last month or so. Just hoping to get some feedback from people I sorta kinda know.

The truck Im loomkng at is an 03 F350 super crew. Its a manual trans so its well under priced. How hard can it be to drive a manual? .....just kidding, I loved my manual vehicles!!!!! Its also built in security as very few know how to drive them any more. LOL

I've also looked at a few power stroke diesels but I do not know enough about them to know what to look for. They are very different beasts and have some very expensive issues that may develop.

I just need a nice beater that can carry at least 3 people, a few dogs and the ability to tow a fair amount. Its not going to be a daily driver.....well that is not the intent anyway.

I love driving a stick shift. My '68 was originally a 3 speed standard on the column. People used to look at me like I was nuts. When it lost the cluster gear I swapped in a slightly newer granny 4 speed and transfer case. A stick shift F350 with a V-10 sounds like just the ticket to convince protesters blocking the road to get out of the way!

I love driving a stick shift. My '68 was originally a 3 speed standard on the column. People used to look at me like I was nuts. When it lost the cluster gear I swapped in a slightly newer granny 4 speed and transfer case. A stick shift F350 with a V-10 sounds like just the ticket to convince protesters blocking the road to get out of the way!
I learned to drive on a 72 GMC pickup my grandfather had at the cabin. It had the 3 on the tree!! I could barely reach the pedals when I first started driving it around the cabin. LOL

Damn just got a call back on a 05 I was also looking at, this one has the 5.4l v8 w/auto and the suicide doors instead of the full crew. I called a few days ago and never got any feedback so I thought it was gone. Have to check them both out. Both have similar mileage but two years newer could be a bonus.

I have a 5.7L in my 00 z71 Silverado.

No problem towing anything. Boat. Atv. Riding mower. A ford 350 truck. :laugh:

I get about 12-13'ish mpg on a given day.

Less mpg obviously while towing and in 4wd in the snow or on the side of a mountain.

In all fairness, I drove an F550 (bucket truck) for a few years.

The motors are good.

Though we initially had to have the transmission rebuilt, but it was under warranty at the time and those problems usually surface long before they make it to the used car market. Lots of miles and hard use after that with no further problems.

Boat. Atv. Riding mower. A ford 350 truck. [emoji23]

I had to tow my old Jeep from my cabin to the car crusher in town last summer. I could barely get up over some of the small hills on the road out to the pavement. Once on the pavement I could barely make it up to 55 on the flats.

I had towed this Jeep before by the towbar but the jeep was no longer safe to tow that way. The u-haul car hauler probably weighed as much as the Jeep itself and was severly pushing the gcwr of my truck.

Drove it tonight. Its a beast!!

Its an auto not a manual as the add stated. Engine seems strong with no hesitation or studdering or the typical Ford can tick and it shifts well through all the gears.

Some rust coming through the front rt door and along the bottom of the tailgate. Its obviously a MI truck but overall not to bad given the year and mileage.

Inside is clean but a hint of stale smoke, not overwhelming but looks like a smoker owned it at some point. Right mirror adjustment is froze up and the right hub lock needs to be rebuilt.

Overall seems like a decent truck. Will definitely need some running boards for Donna and her mom to be able to get in, it was a jump for me.

My main concern is drivetrain and it seems good. Brake lines etc are rusty but look like they still have a few years left in them.

Mulling it over tonight by leaning towards picking it up.

Last edited:
Bring WD-40(ish), a spark plug socket, ratchet and various extensions and see if the plugs come out easy. These (and 5.4 and 4.6) have had issues with plugs breaking in the cylinder heads. Repair is a heli-coil type insert. Good Luck with it!

Bring WD-40(ish), a spark plug socket, ratchet and various extensions and see if the plugs come out easy. These (and 5.4 and 4.6) have had issues with plugs breaking in the cylinder heads. Repair is a heli-coil type insert. Good Luck with it!
I'm aware of those issues. I actually have the 5.4 3V plug extractor tool in the garage. At least on the 5.4/4.6 V2's they can usually fix the threads without removing the heads (this was not so when the problem first started). My buddies work van is an E350 and he has blow out 4 or 5 over the 300+K he's put on it.

I haggled another $1400 off the price so I picked it up!!

Put about 200 miles on it so far. Its definitely quirky compared to the 1/2 ton Chevys I've owned.

There are a few things that need to be fixed but nothing that seems too bad and the lower price gives me a bit of a repair budget. Time will tell if this was a good buy or a nightmare...its always a gamble with older used vehicles no matter how well you check them out

I haggled another $1400 off the price so I picked it up!!

Put about 200 miles on it so far. Its definitely quirky compared to the 1/2 ton Chevys I've owned.

There are a few things that need to be fixed but nothing that seems too bad and the lower price gives me a bit of a repair budget. Time will tell if this was a good buy or a nightmare...its always a gamble with older used vehicles no matter how well you check them out
Good negotiation i hope it serves you well congrats.

Took it to my local shop, nothing wrong with driveline, u-joints, carrier bearing, ball joints etc. They replaced plug and coil on cyl.#3 and it runs awesome with no more vibration.

Yeah, weasled out and just dropped it off rather than dicking around with it. Still ahead of the curve. Feeling much better about it now.

Awesome....thats good to hear.....

Now....about those pictures of the beast......

:popcorn:

Took it to my local shop, nothing wrong with driveline, u-joints, carrier bearing, ball joints etc. They replaced plug and coil on cyl.#3 and it runs awesome with no more vibration.

Yeah, weasled out and just dropped it off rather than dicking around with it. Still ahead of the curve. Feeling much better about it now.

I'm not sure about the one you're getting, but the '00 F150's, the plug coil was a regular item. For the miles that I drove, went through 2 or 3 a year at $70 a pop.

When it suddenly starts missing and the engine light pops on, that's what it's going to be.

I went through more plug coils than I did anything else on those trucks.

FWIW, those work trucks were leased for Charter Cable when they were new. The one that I was in when I was in that wreck in 2010 had more than 250k miles on it.

Back