• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Forend options looking for recommendations

Skullynyng

Copper BB
I'm looking to change out the forend on my shockwave I want something with a loop but not the stock mesh loop. All I'm coming up with is either tactical grips or just simple grips that aren't that different from what I already have. Coming up short on the Google searches.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I'm looking to change out the forend on my shockwave I want something with a loop but not the stock mesh loop. All I'm coming up with is either tactical grips or just simple grips that aren't that different from what I already have. Coming up short on the Google searches.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

There ain't much out there for the short action tube forends. The 14" barrel and shorter mag tube will limit your choices considerably. Even the trusty 'ol Magpul forend doesn't fit without some homemade modifications.

I've been half entertaining the idea of swapping out my nylon loop for a leather one (I already made my own wooden forend and bird's head grip). But that's just me changing crap for the sake of the way it looks, so I haven't bothered to swap the strap yet. Maybe someday if I find an old saddle laying around, I might cut a piece off and see how I like it.

Whatever you decide, be sure it fits a short action tube before you spend money on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went through my closet looking at old belts. I didn't find any I want to use, and then the leather wouldn't match my nylon sling. I think we are trying to be creative, but there isn't much to work with.

The corn cob design of the grip and the strap are there to keep your hand from slipping in front of the muzzle and changing your hand to mush. Mush doesn't work well for opening jars. The ridges of the grip alow you to positively grip the forearm and retain control of the gun under recoil. It ain't pretty but it works.

Ergo produces both long and short versions for the Mossberg. Wouldn't hurt to call them and ask to see if it will work on the short action tubes as well. My gut instinct tells me that it'll work just fine.

http://ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-trirail-forend-mossberg-5-1316-length-500590/

121377.jpg

*But don't put a pistol grip on the front handguard if you're wanting to use this with the shockwave though. I'm not certain, but that may turn the shockwaves into what is classified as an AOW. I know that a pistolgrip on a handgun is a no-no.

But, the magpul style handstops and things shouldn't change the classification of anything.

GetImage.ashx

Honestly, magpuls xtreme texture rails on the side rails would go awesome with this.

And you could even add a stop on the side rail for your thumb to help push up against as you're shooting and cycling the forend.

Hey John, I looked at the Ergo fore grip, and from looking at the pictures, I thought it looked too bulky. But, after watching the video and seeing it mounted on a gun I think it looks good. I took my Stogie apart and measured the action tube. It measures the 5 13/16" which is the short action tube. I used my AR spanner wrench to remove the fore grip nut. See pics. I ordered the Ergo fore grip. http://ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-trirail-forend-mossberg-5-1316-length-500590/
I will post pictures as soon as it's mounted. I signed up for their email newsletter and got a 20% discount.
IMG_4749.JPG IMG_4750.JPG

Last edited:
I had the UTG panels on an AR and changed them to the ERGO ladder style. I really like the ladder style that is included with the ERGO fore grip.
The hand stop is definitely and interesting item.
Let's take this one step at a time and see what develops.
I can see you are going to help me load up my credit card..haha

No, but if you ask the question, I'm going to answer it ;)

My magic eight ball says:

Ask me later.

So, I waited for about 30 seconds and asked it again.

12, 36, 19, 11, 54, probably 6

Has anyone tried the Surefire Forend light step up on a Shockwave yet? I'm interested, but concerned it won't fit.

TerryH modified a Magpul foregrip to fit his Shockwave, so it can be done. You may have to do the same.

To quote SureFire: "The DSF-500/590 fits as-is any 500 or 590 shotgun variant with a 6¾" forend tube (magazine tube). An included internal spacer provides a proper fit for 7¾" forend tubes." So, it appears that the forearm light will fit a short tube Mossberg 500/590 shotgun. That should make it easier to fit to the Shockwave. I don't know for certain but it does appear to be possible. Me?- I would like to see a unit before I decided to buy one or just be sure of a good return policy.

I would love to put a Surefire forend light on my Shockwave, but not if I have to do a bunch of mods to it first. Too expensive to go start "chopping" on up.

Anyone know if you can put a pistol grip (detachable) on a shockwave. I know it’s a no no On a pistol AR and etc..... but Black Aces DT sells there Pistol shotty with a detachable fore grip?? Any definitive answers out there? Ty in advance.

Anyone know if you can put a pistol grip (detachable) on a shockwave. I know it’s a no no On a pistol AR and etc..... but Black Aces DT sells there Pistol shotty with a detachable fore grip?? Any definitive answers out there? Ty in advance.

It ain't definitive, because I'm not an ATF employee, but here's my answer: The Shockwave is legal and doesn't fall under the purview of NFA regulations because it is longer than 26" overall (among other things, such as having a smooth bore and never had a shoulder stock from the factory, etc).

If you put a classic shaped pistol grip on a Shockwave, it will be shorter than 26 inches overall from the muzzle to the rear of the grip. That'll put you into NFA territory because it will meet the requirements to be considered an "Any Other Weapon". That's still legal, of course, but you have to jump thru hoops and wait several months for a $5 NFA stamp before installing the grip. Puts you in the same category as the Serbu Super Shorty.

As for being detachable...that has no bearing on the Shockwave's non-NFA classification as it stands today. Installing a grip that's marketed as "detachable" isn't going to solve your legal problems with the ATF if the firearm is shorter than 26 inches. All grips that mate with the 590 receiver are "detachable" because they're held in with a simple bolt or screw. They're not welded or pinned on permanently. So don't get lost in the weeds worrying about the definition of "detachable". Focus on overall length and whether the grip/stock was designed to be fired while shouldered.

The Black Aces' detachable fore grip does not change its overall length. Don't confuse fore grip with pistol grip. The fore grip has no bearing on the over all length of the firearm.

Last edited:
Back