• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

forend with shorter reach available?

First off, apologies on the wait on this one. I've been on my back in bed.

Second, I always make the assumption that the person I am speaking with is at least as intelligent as I am. In most cases they are more so. I don't like to talk down to people. Sometimes I make that assumption in error since a lot of it that seems to be perfectly understandable to me isn't to the reader. Apologies again for not explaining my points better.

And here is where where my remark about "you planning to get hit....instead of using the weapon as it was designed and is used by 99.999% of all users..." comes in. You, and the other fellow as well, seem to be under the mistaken impression that standing up square and shooting it out is somehow some sort of new, super intelligent practice. It isn't. It's stupid. Your statement above about planning to take hits on your carrier/plate is, to be blunt, ridiculous. You also don't wear a helmet so you can head butt doors, ballistic goggles so you can watch the bullets coming at you etc etc etc. Your armor is your last line of defense. If it's hit, YOU screwed up! You plan to NOT GET HIT. You maintain your cover. You shoulder your weapon and you stay hidden behind the brick wall to your side. That's a bit hard to do when you're standing square, in the open, and the weapon braced on your chest.

I'd hope you would teach her proper shooting technique....but to each his own. Look up the "Turnipseed Enhanced Weaver Stance System". You'll learn how to shoot a full mag of slugs and buck while ballanced on one foot.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been well, hopefully not serious.

I'll come back to this when I'm able to give it the time it deserves.

After seeing that pic John, I have to add one of my own. Yes, I am shamelessly showing off a photo of my own stuff. But it ties in because the forend overlaps the receiver somewhat though I'm not sure it's as much as the 1300. On mine, I cut the square corners off but it's plastic and not wood. You can kinda see in the photo where the receiver end of the forend looks beveled and rounded. It used to be all square cut, that bevel is my modification. I did at one time have a Winchester 1300 field with 28" barrel that dated to the late 80s, like 87. It had the sporter forend on it which still overlapped. I swapped it to the defender synthetic furniture and no more overlap. Still a very short action. Almost a little tricky to get used to after having only Mossbergs.

image1.JPG

I have some that overlap and some that don't.

And like you Rossignol, some that I have cut myself so as to not have any overlap (my 16 gauge pump, but it was done mostly because there was a chip missing in the wood and I wanted to remove it) and my mossy 500 has an Ergo railed forend that doesn't even get near the receiever even in the most rearward position.

As I mentioned, I've been shooting shotguns for while now. Not as long as some here, but certainly not new to it.

More than 3 decades if you're the kind of guy that's into counting.

I don't have that much time in with a shotgun, relatively new. I only just started shooting regularly about 6 years ago and it's only in the last couple years that I started hunting (trying to hunt?) with a shotgun.

One of the things that I love the most about shooting, everyone does it a little differently, and I have learned long ago that my advice only works for me :nana:

^^^ I agree with this. I always have one foot back just a little with my support arm pretty much straight out and my upper body mostly squared.

If the vertical grip isn't for you, an angled grip may work if you still can't get a good grip on the forend. I tried an angle grip for awhile when the arthritis began to be a problem and I didn't have enough range of motion in my wrist to get a good grip on the action. It helped but I had to make sure I had solid pressure on it or it would kinda want to smack your hand. I think newer versions are probably a little better.

Sorry I didn't realize there were more comments after my last one.

I will try the hand stop first I think. I am waiting for a sale. If that doesn't help, then maybe I will try the vertical or angled grip. Thanks. I have those other grips lying around but I would need to buy a rail section for my forend.
You said you're getting smacked around some with heavier loads?
At the range that sells only 00, I am fine. The other range only sells slugs. That is where I had problems. You have to buy it ahead of time. I bought 30 slug rounds and I didn't want to finish. Towards the end, I was getting tired and sore. I almost knocked my glasses off towards the end from the recoil because I was getting tired and my grip was weakening I think. Later the range guy said he was surprised that I wanted so many slugs because most people don't shoot that many. IDK, maybe I overdid it. Surprising how different 00 and slugs kick.

That is kind of why I was wondering if there was a stance that would allow for me not to get beat up so badly.

I will experiment with my stance the next time I go. Thanks.

Slug, even the same weight as a load of buckshot and the same velocity, can hit harder. This has a lot to do with how you contact the firearm. Cheek weld, the stock in your shoulder, dominant/strong hand pulling, support hand pushing. Push/pull. That's worked well for me. A cheek pad could help, especially if you aren't getting a solid cheek weld for one reason or another, like comb height is too low so you lift your head somewhat to see the sight. For some, the stock is too thin and something like a Monte Carlo stock would be better. But getting slapped in the face results from not having a solid cheek weld and becomes more noticeable with heavier loads.

With the gun unloaded, can you mount the gun and solidly set your cheek against it? How do your eyes line up for a sight picture? Do you find you have to lift your head somewhat off the stock, or even stay against it but not solidly down on it?

I once (very briefly) used a larger styled red dot on a shotgun. It worked but it co-witnessed with AR irons so it was way too high for shotgun shooting. It worked but it also sucked at the same time.

Last edited:
I was lucky to have a multiple mentors from the time I was old enough to hold a Daisy Red Ryder. The rest I figured out on my own, no forums and videos then. Given new technology I am constantly learning new, better and sometimes worse ways to do things.

Ultimately what works for one may not work for another, only by trying as many different ways to do things as you can will you eventually find the one that fits you. If everyone did everything exactly the same it would be a very boring place.

While I'm not entirely sure what I posted that was insulting, I'm told that I was. I'm removing my posts in this thread and skipping it for that reason.

Apologies, guys.

Last edited:
Ok, can I add one thing here?

K, thanks, I will.

An empty gun. A "tactical" empty gun. I'm guessing here we're talking about a home defense shotgun. Who is hiding under the covers or behind curtains with an empty gun. It would seem to me if you're in a situation where you're hiding with a gun, and it's empty, you're already not livin right. In another way of sayin it, you're already screwed. Do you carry concealed with an empty gun too?

There's a whole lot I want to say here but I'm trying to not be the guy I'm used to being. I'm trying to be tame, but you got me with the empty gun. I'm having a hard time moving past that. If I have to pick up a gun, it isn't empty.

Last edited:
K Rider,
I own 3 Mossy PGs. 2 X 500 (5+1 & 8+1) and 1 X 590A1 8+1. Thanks to you I just put all 3 of them away! After reading thru this post I wanted to check out my stance(s) and the reach of my left arm to the slide. My right hand is on the stock and works the trigger.
At all stances I have a decent arm angle, a little more than 90 degrees by eye with the slide forward. Certainly it's not straight and it's not uncomfortable. All three PGs have a standard stock with 12"+ LOP. My arm from my shoulder to my wrist is roughly 24". Note that due to an injury I can't fully straighten my left arm. If I could it would be a little more than 2 feet.
At the end of the day you need to be comfortable with the firearm. The Mossberg is a great weapon so keep trying! By a few boxes of bird shot ($5-$6 per box of 25) and get outside somewhere that you can shoot it and experiment with it. I'm sure you'll find a system that works.
Good luck.

Last edited:
With the gun unloaded, can you mount the gun and solidly set your cheek against it? How do your eyes line up for a sight picture? Do you find you have to lift your head somewhat off the stock, or even stay against it but not solidly down on it?

Didn't realize so much happened again since the last time I was here. Seems like I missed something. Didn't mean to cause any drama.

Overall, I have a comfortable cheek mount. My head is nearly vertical. The fiber optic dot is at a natural height and I don't need to adjust my head to see it properly.

I think it was just a matter of me getting fatigued at the end and also that it was my first time shooting slugs.

By a few boxes of bird shot ($5-$6 per box of 25) and get outside somewhere that you can shoot it and experiment with it. I'm sure you'll find a system that works.
Good luck.
The only place I would be able to shoot bird shot is at the skeet/trap ranges. None of the other ranges allow it. But I was able to shoot bird shot at a shooting fair last year. That recoil was very easy to deal with.

Back