• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FREE Mossberg 500/590/88 pic rail.

Larry23433

.270 WIN
I will be 100% honest, I hate this rail which is why I'd feel more comfortable giving it away then selling it. Maybe someone isn't as OCD as me, or doesn't care... maybe you can use it for something else?

if you want it I'll send it to you for free if you live in the US. I can't ship outside the US, sorry just not worth the hassle.

It's a "monstrum" rail, and does work, screw holes line up but it doesn't sit flush on top of the receiver. This is the design, not a defective part. It has a curved profile so when you attach it, there is small gap on top since the receiver is flat. I didn't like that so I replaced it with a rail that is flat and doesn't leave a gap.

On the pics below you can see the rail I have currently mounted to my gun that I love, and the monstrum rail I hate lol

This is my good rail, note how it's nice and flush on the center line.

PXL_20231007_185223392.MP.jpg

This is the monstrum rail

PXL_20231007_185246395.MP.jpg
PXL_20231007_185242485.MP.jpg

Let me know if you want it. I lost the screws so it's the rail only.

While I adore and commend your offer of a free pic rail, the packrat in me says that it is something you should keep "in stock" if you ever need it. I mean, it is not like it is an anvil or something... :D

I used an old Ruger 10/22 rail on a Heritage Rough Rider .22LR revolver. The write-up and more pics are here if you want to do a search. I can't seem to find the pics I posted but this one is before I cut the rail just forward of the clamp.

rough5.jpg

I need a rail on my 500A, what are the chances I could get the screws for it? Does the manufacturer sale replacement screws?

I need a rail on my 500A, what are the chances I could get the screws for it? Does the manufacturer sale replacement screws?
What you need is 8-40 tpi machine screws. The exact length depends on the rail thickness. But just make sure they are not too long. You can get an idea of the receiver's thickness by pulling the existing screws.

Now if the gun is an older model (earlier than the late 1960s) those take a 6-48 machine screw.

You should be able to find these at any good hardware store.

Regards

You should be able to find these at any good hardware store.
I think you are going to get his hopes up. ;) MAYBE if the store has been there 50+ years and used to sell guns... My "good" go-to store doesn't have screws or taps in those thread pitches, even in the stacks of boxed assortments. You can ask one of the helpful hardware folks in your store, maybe they will know. I doubt any of the chain stores will have those special sizes. The will probably only have 6-32 or 8-32.

If you don't have luck in your store, try MidwayUSA or Brownell's. They will probably have a "set" of screws just for Mossberg. You'll still have to figure out your thread pitch to be sure.

I think you are going to get his hopes up. ;) MAYBE if the store has been there 50+ years and used to sell guns... My "good" go-to store doesn't have screws or taps in those thread pitches, even in the stacks of boxed assortments. You can ask one of the helpful hardware folks in your store, maybe they will know. I doubt any of the chain stores will have those special sizes. The will probably only have 6-32 or 8-32.

If you don't have luck in your store, try MidwayUSA or Brownell's. They will probably have a "set" of screws just for Mossberg. You'll still have to figure out your thread pitch to be sure.

Bobster, I totally agree on most stores that's why I said a "good" hardware store and there are still a few around. Go to any big box store or most farm & feed stores and they don't even have anyone who knows what TPI stands for! They might tell you we have some plastic bags with small screws over there in that box.

He might also try a local gun store that does minor work like mounting rails and scopes. I know one around here that always has an assortment of screws laying around where they mount scopes. Most are take offs or one s the wrong length but with a little looking you can likely find some. The length is the biggest issue on the 500.

Might also try a true gunsmith shop but I've found most don't sell parts.

Places like McMaster-Carr will also have then.

Regards

Back