• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Frog Lube

Here it goes, I wanted to do a review on a product that is sort of new but I have been using for a few months. I am no way affiliated or paid to do this review. If you are not familiar with Frog Lube here is brief description of Frog Lube from the manufacturer.

Frog Lube website. http://www.froglube.com/

"FROGLUBE™ is a cutting edge biodegradable lubricant made from “food-grade” ingredients produced in the USA using a proprietary formula. It is a non-toxic substance that dissolves carbon, grease and sludge on contact. It has a heavy specific gravity which allows it to “season” the metal by absorption deep into the pores and results in a durable slippery surface that reduces friction. Metal, plastic, urethane, nylon or other durable surfaces treated with FROGLUBE™ are rejuvenated, preserved and will give extended years of service.
FROGLUBE™ will not harm the environment. It’s food-grade components can be disposed of without the need for prohibitive HAZMAT controls. Employees will be protected from the affects of working in and around toxic chemicals."

FROG LUBE IS A BIODEGRADABLE LUBRICANT, CLEANER AND PROTECTOR
*CONTAINS NO PETROLEUM OR WATER.
*NON-HAZARDOUS IN ANY WAY
*PLEASANT MINT SMELL
*CAN EVEN BE USED AS A SKIN SOFTENER.
*IT IS THE ULTIMATE GREEN PRODUCT!

**I ordered Monday morning from http://www.pu-products.com/index.html. and I received my package today from California today. A+ shipping! Opening the box the product is bubble wrapped for protection and packaged very nice.
IMAG0100.jpg

After opening the package I laid everything out to show what the kit includes. This 4oz kit comes with 4oz of Frog Lube paste, 1oz Liquid, application brush, Microfiber Cloth, and instructions. This kit retails for 19.00 plus shipping.
IMAG0101.jpg

*Here is the paste form with the lid off. The first impression is a great smell! Smells like peppermint. I kind of want to eat it. :twisted: And the best part is it is Made in the USA!
IMAG0102.jpg

*Ok now that everything is disassembled and fully wiped down with alcohol to de-grease oils from prior products.
IMAG0103.jpg

Here are some instructions from the manufacture for applications
APPLICATION
Use standard cleaning tools, and do not be afraid to handle FROGLUBE® with your hands. It is made of 100% biodegradable plant material and will clean & moisturize skin. We recommend using a microfiber towel, which can be laundered & reused. Use it to wipe off excess FROGLUBE® before shooting. Before applying FROGLUBE®, wipe down the weapon with rubbing alcohol to remove existing solvents & oil. (this step is recommended, but may be skipped) Clean all surfaces with FROGLUBE®. You should eliminate the use of petrochemical based cleaners & lubricants of opposing
chemistry since they offset the benefits of a FROGLUBE® treated weapon. FROGLUBE® is a revolutionary product. It ʻseasonsʼ into metal & plastic parts, and releases with high heat. As the weapon is fired, the FROGLUBE® coating prohibits carbon, lead, copper and other fouling particles from sticking and oxidation from occurring. Upon cooling, fouling particles will not stick to the weapon surfaces that are coated with FROGLUBE® . This means your weapon will be easier to clean and you donʼt have to worry about getting it wet. Rust, salts, or oxidants cannot form on FROGLUBE® coated surfaces. For best results, the weapon should be warm when applying FROGLUBE® Allow the weapon to sit in sunlight before & after initial cleanings. (or use a hair dryer) Though it can be applied at room temperature, heat increases the absorption rate. We recommend leaving FROGLUBE® on 30-60 minutes the first two times it is used. Use care when handling heated metal.

The more FROGLUBE® is used, the more it is absorbed which results in strengthening of the FROGLUBE® coating. Maximum absorption is reached when the application of additional FROGLUBE® results in excess on the surface. When this happens, the weapon is “fully treated”. Wipe off the excess and shoot the weapon “dry”. CLEANING THE WEAPON Apply a sufficient amount of FROGLUBE® Paste or Liquid to warm firearm parts. Vigorously scrub the bore and barrel. Use it on
every surface of the weapon. Metal, plastic and rubber will all benefit from FROGLUBE® Use FROGLUBE® on various areas of the weapon that you would normally lubricate with gun oil. Such areas would include closely fitted and load bearing surfaces like rails, bolts, lugs & roller bearings. Wipe off any excess FROGLUBE® before shooting. For moist conditions, salt spray, water, humidity and long term storage, coat the weapon with a light to moderate covering of FROGLUBE® and do not wipe it off. After the second cleaning and lubrication with FROGLUBE® you should find your weapon is easier to clean and will require less cleaning frequencies. Regular use of FROGLUBE® will strengthen itʼs coating abilities and is recommended for all cleaning, lubrication and preservation of your firearms.

WARNING: IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO
SWITCH BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN
FROGLUBE® AND OTHER PETROLEUM CLP
PRODUCTS. FROGLUBE® WILL DISSOLVE
PETROLEUM ON CONTACT

Here is the MSDS link for the product. http://www.pu-products.com/msds-reports-froglube.pdf

Here are a few links from others who use frog lube.

http://youtu.be/kG68vBM30QA
http://youtu.be/_17e56yJIy4
http://youtu.be/9kOxD2Zcl54

Corrosion Tests
http://youtu.be/GBxS0BncR1s
http://youtu.be/pUpWlicoGAg

My Final thoughts
* I have been using Frog Lube for a few months and I have been very impressed with it! I find that my guns are easier to clean and I have notice that they stay cleaner between sessions. I like that I am using a product that doesn't harm me or the environment. I am not a hippie by any means! I just like not having to clean my hands after cleaning, I just rub it in my hands like lotion :twisted: My wife doesn't complain when I clean my guns anymore in the house. I use mainly the paste form of froglube, the liquid form I only use on frame rails and moving parts. I like that I only have one bottle out and not 5-6 while cleaning. Now that Sig Sauer has adopted Froglube as there recommended CLP I feel that it will start picking up steam. I have had great results with the product. So far so good! I hope this helps anyone that has questions about the product.

KentuckyWindage said:
. I am not a hippie by any means! .

That’s up in the air after reviewing hippie oil :lol:

Seriously though you give a good review, good feed back.
How much is this stuff ?

oli700 said:
KentuckyWindage said:
. I am not a hippie by any means! .

That’s up in the air after reviewing hippie oil :lol:

Seriously though you give a good review, good feed back.
How much is this stuff ?

I knew that would come back to bite me hahahaha The kit is 19.00 plus shipping. They sell just the paste 4oz for 11.00

LOL, when I was reading it I was already thinking of some smartass hippie remark involving the whale war guys or something and then I saw your disclaimer …..that was great

Really well done write up man!

I rub my gun oil into my hands and then splash some on my neck like after shave! :lol:

But seriously, nicely done and I ppreciate it!

Thanks for the review...I think Dan uses it too.

does the action feel any smoother with this product verses anything else...I hear all purpose CLP lubes loose some lubricant/friction fighting properties verses an Oil that is just made to lubricate.

I'll be picking some up to try

SoCal Choppas said:
Thanks for the review...I think Dan uses it too.

does the action feel any smoother with this product verses anything else...I hear all purpose CLP lubes loose some lubricant/friction fighting properties verses an Oil that is just made to lubricate.

I'll be picking some up to try

I think it does, but it might me mental, I dont know. I never really oiled my mossberg much, I was turned on to this product by my brother who is currently serving. It really performs well in corrosion test and also cleaning. He hinted to me that it is used by some very important people over seas. :cool:

I haven't noticed it hindering the smoothness of my Mossberg (lol a Mossberg being smooth) and my 930 absolutely loves this stuff.

I randomly started using this product on my 590a1 and my M&P. I had no idea the benefits. Thanks for the detailed steps. I never heated the surface when applying. I will try that next time.

I'm almost up to 1,000 rounds on my shield and over 500 rounds on my glock with this stuff.

very happy with the results. 95% of the grime wipes right off. I'll never need another lube ever again.

I had my 930 not cycle today while we were hunting for rabbit today. It has a generous amount of frog lube on it as it always does but today was in the single digits.

Generally I don't reply to "which product is better" threads, but this one i had to... I have 5 Mosin Nagant's that I've cleaned and completely migrated to Frog Lube. The funny thing about 91/30's is that if you don't get all the cosmoline off, once the barrel heats up things stick. I tempered each part 3 times before reassembly and the action of the bolts are smooth as silk.

Most of them were manufactured in the late 30's and early 40's and I even converted my 1914 New England Westinghouse. I'm a convert, as I use it on everything, rifles, pistols, knives, you name it.

The best part about it is that it doesn't smell that bad and I can use it in an area with poor ventilation, without worrying about having a heart attack or killing even more brain cells.

bws said:
Generally I don't reply to "which product is better" threads, but this one i had to... I have 5 Mosin Nagant's that I've cleaned and completely migrated to Frog Lube. The funny thing about 91/30's is that if you don't get all the cosmoline off, once the barrel heats up things stick. I tempered each part 3 times before reassembly and the action of the bolts are smooth as silk.

Most of them were manufactured in the late 30's and early 40's and I even converted my 1914 New England Westinghouse. I'm a convert, as I use it on everything, rifles, pistols, knives, you name it.

The best part about it is that it doesn't smell that bad and I can use it in an area with poor ventilation, without worrying about having a heart attack or killing even more brain cells.

I am also a Frog Lube convert. I tried it the other night on my P226. Works great. Smells like "Wintergreen." :D

KW
"After opening the package I laid everything out to show what the kit includes. This 4oz kit comes with 4oz of Frog Lube paste, 1oz Liquid, application brush, Microfiber Cloth, and instructions. This kit retails for 19.00 plus shipping."

Can you give a link to this kit - I don't see it, Thanks for the review I would like to try it.

Joe

Extra cost?

The Frog Lube paste is cheaper than most other cleaning options I've used. Paid about $8 for a 4oz tub of paste well over a year ago and I'm not even half way through it yet after nearly two dozen applications to various firearms. A can of Break-Free CLP runs closer to $12 and only lasts me a couple months. Well worth it in my opinion...

Back