• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Front 3 dot sight figured out, Meprolight installed.

Hi all.
Some of you may have seen that I am looking for a taller front sight post, Similar to the front Ghost Ring sight.
I am looking at the Meprolight Tru-Dot Front Sight or something similar, I am open to suggestions.
The dovetail measurements are as follows...
[___\
/ __\ bottom is 9.44mm top is 7.47mm give or take a .01

6823679386_0542138988_b.jpg

6969802413_391cea3424_b.jpg

6823679902_be4a492ea0_b.jpg

If any of you have the means to measure your Ghost Ring dovetail and let me know that would be great.
Thanks

Re: Front 3 dot sight interchangeability info needed.

I don't have a set of calipers for precise measurement, but by the 'ol tape measurer my 590a1 FSB dovetail cuts measure roughly 9.5mm at the bottom and roughly 7.5mm at the top. Looks like they're the same dimensions as yours.

Thank you sir!
I thought they looked similar, But I wanted to ask before I threw down $40 for one that wont work.

No problem.

Even if it's a tad off, you could always do a bit of filing for fit. My Aimpro FO post came with a "May Require Minor Fitting" disclaimer, but it tapped in nice and easy...

Yes, Now the search goes on, I will see whats out there, I like yours and the Meprolight, But there may be something else I have yet to see.
Thanks again.

Thanks!
I didn't see much else, So I decided on the Meprolight from MidwayUSA, I thought about the AimPro, But their shipping can be a little slow and I need my M590A1 in a couple weeks.
I also needed an adjustable gas plug for my Garand
I will get some pic's up once I have the goods.

Sweet, lookin forward to seein it with the new sight...

I have the Meprolight in my hot little hands, I will get some pic's up later once I have it installed, However, It is nearly 10mm tall above the dovetail and should fit the bill!

Ok, Here we go.
This first pic shows how an aluminum cleaning rod run through the sight channel in the rail pints to the front sight.

6837131742_97df4bbb19_b.jpg

Then I installed the Meprolight, It tapped right in, It should be a good to go, I also tightened don the allen screw with a little blue lock-tight.

6837132466_a954730a62_b.jpg

I had to run the aluminum rod down the side to show the height of the sight as well as the sight angle.

6837133174_d261413070_b.jpg

Here are a couple of the best shots I could get of the view down the barrel.

6837133734_7d7e3d2166_b.jpg

6837134208_362d292ccd_b.jpg

Obviously only range time will tell if its a viable replacement, But so far I have accomplished what I was shooting for.

SWEET!

I'm interested to know how it affects your POA/POI. Let us know how she does...

Re: Front 3 dot sight figured out.

Man Vit!!! I love that! I've always wanted to see that Memprolight on someones gun, congrats! Makes me wanna get the OFM GRS model!!!

Nice work Vit and thanks for the pics, well done! ;)

Re: Front 3 dot sight figured out.

Thanks!
It seems to be in a fairly good spot for close range.
I was in Cali at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center last weekend out shooting and it worked out great!

Here is a short video of some Winchester PDX1 being fired through it.
3 shots of PDX1
The first shot is on the line between 10/9 with the 3 00buck shot surrounding it, The second is just to the right of the first and the third is almost in the same place as the first. The other large holes are from the wadding.
This was at about 20 feet.

Here is my friend Don shooting my M590A1 with a RDS mounted.
6870463894_eec2a37eed_b.jpg

With the RDS or without, I think I may be in good shape.
Thanks again.

Don again using a PDX1 round at 25 feet, It makes a nice little pattern.
7016577287_70c4f0f7ba_b.jpg

Back