• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Front sight crooked

vector17

Copper BB
Hi, I just bought a Mossberg 500 yesterday and it looks like the bead is crooked (see attached photo). Is this normal/acceptable or should I try to get it replaced? Also, I bought it from a website through an FFL transfer. If I decided to replace it, should I contact Mossberg, the website that sold it, or the transferring FFL?

Attachments

• IMG_20131210_200319.jpg
    IMG_20131210_200319.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 390
Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to see you have a problem.
I would contact the seller first and see what they say. If you can't get any satisfaction from them contact Mossberg.
It's more than likely an easy fix,but you can't tell till you mess with it,,,and if you mess with it, you own it.
Keep us posted.

That sight/bead is totally unaccepatable. You paid good money and expect to get a good quality item. Not something you have to modify or get fixed. They (website you purchased from) should replace and reimburse you any expense you had sending it back. Ron

vector17 said:
Is this normal/acceptable?

That is not normal or acceptable.

The bead sights on Mossbergs screw in, and that one wasn't screwed in straight. Remove it by unscrewing it. If the threads are OK on the bead: put it back in. If the bead is scarred but the threads are OK in the barrel: get a new bead.

If the guns is NEW then this is a warranty issue. Call Mossberg and they will have you send in the barrel.

If the gun is USED call the dealer you bought it from and RAISE HELL.

I bought it new. The website that sold it (GrabAGun) said that because the transfer had been completed they could not replace or service it and I have to mail the entire shotgun to Mossberg for repair. That will cost me $30-$50 according to the USPS calculator and will probably take weeks to come back. I'm going to email Mossberg and see if they will send me a barrel with prepaid return shipping instead, because I really don't see the point of mailing the whole thing.

I could try to fix it myself as suggested above but then if I mess it up they might not service it. Plus, my only tools are a small kit from IKEA.

I just picked up my first shotgun in January, a Mossberg 500. I didn't really know anything at the time so I didn't really know what to inspect it for. However, I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that my bead sight looks like the one in the OP's post. I assumed I had somehow bent it, although as gentle as I am with it I don't see how I could have. I think now it may have been a factory flaw. Hmm, maybe I didn't need that red dot after all. Surely it was the bent sight that made me such a lousy shot. ;)

vector17 said:
I bought it new. The website that sold it (GrabAGun) said that because the transfer had been completed they could not replace or service it and I have to mail the entire shotgun to Mossberg for repair. That will cost me $30-$50 according to the USPS calculator and will probably take weeks to come back. I'm going to email Mossberg and see if they will send me a barrel with prepaid return shipping instead, because I really don't see the point of mailing the whole thing.

I could try to fix it myself as suggested above but then if I mess it up they might not service it. Plus, my only tools are a small kit from IKEA.

I would email Mossberg with the pic and ask them if you could just send in the barrel. We have a contact at Mossberg that should be able to help you. Also when you email him ask him for a call tag. They should pay the shipping because it's a brand new gun.
Here's his contact info,,,,,

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Please keep up posted.

OK, I've emailed Joe. I had also emailed mossberg customer service before you posted but haven't heard back from anyone yet.

I heard back from Joe five days after emailing him, and he sent me a new barrel with a prepaid FedEx return label to mail the old one back in the same box, which I just mailed today, so everything worked out. Thank you for the help mossy.

Back