• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Frontier ammo primer fell out.

tcecil88

.30-06
Elite Member
As the title says, this is Frontier 62 gr. SP in 5.56. Primer fell out and completely locked up rifle. Primer got stuck between bolt and receiver, causing a divot that will clean up. The case has some marks on it as well. I have read a couple of reports of this happening to other people as well. The small piece @ 4 o'clock is the squished primer.
Frontier 62 gr. SP 5.56.jpg
I have shot a hundred or so of these rounds and this is the first problem with it I have had. I guess Lake City loads this stuff for Hornady. I am gonna send this to Hornady as well and let them know they need to tighten up their QC.

Hornady got back with me this morning. Originally they were going to have me send in the rest of the box of 20, plus an unopened box for testing, all on their dime. When I told them that originally I thought it was just a malfunction and shot up the rest of the box, they said to treat it as an isolated incident and that if it happens again, that I am to put the rest of the box away and call them again.
Not the best outcome I guess, but at least Hornady responded right away and was interested in making it right. I know from now on to pay better attention to types of malfunctions and attempt to fix them right away instead of letting it sit for a week.

The reason I asked what type of rifle, when you fire 5.56 NATO form a 223 bore the result from the over pressure is blown primers. Many lower quality AR Rifles don’t have true 5.56 chambers as they claim to have.

Well, that stinks.

FWIW, ammo companies want the ammo returned in case of safety issues.

I went down basically the same road with Remington UMC 7.62x39 in an old sks. Popper primer, smoke billowed out everywhere. Took 30 minutes to get all the junk out of the receiver.

Back