• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fun Drill at the range

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
I've taken two 8 hour pistol courses and I learned a lot. As with anything I want to continue to practice what I've learned but also try and make it challenging. Being that I head off to the range often by myself I was looking for ways to keep things interesting and fairly spontaneous.

I mainly got the idea from Travis Haley in one of his pistol drills where he draws a listing of drills from a hat.

Here's what you need:

- iPhone or other smart phone with a random number generator app and a delayed timer app (both apps can be found for free)

- A list of drills numbered from 1 through 20 (more or less depending on what you want)

What to do:

Have your random number generator set up for the amount of drills you have on your paper.

Hit the number generator and get the number of the drill to be performed

Switch over to your delayed start timer and turn it on (I have mine set at 10 seconds)

Once you hit the delayed start quickly find the drill you need to perform on your list and memorize the sequence before the timer goes off.

Once the timer goes off, draw your firearm and do the sequence.

Once done, hit the random number generator again, get a new drill, repeat!!!

It's fun…. a little too fun. Warning, range time will fly and you will go through rounds fairly quickly :mrgreen:

You can add to the challenge by making the drill sequence longer or adding movement or both. Also, varying the distance of the target adds more complexity. My targets also have shapes, numbers, and letters on them in addition to a silhouette which can add to the complexity and really gets your brain teased. Also, varying the rounds in your magazine which forces reloads during the sequence.

Below is a listing of my drills I brought with me this week on a sheet of paper.

A quick legend:

SDR - Standard Defensive Response (2 shots chest box)
SDR High - Standard Defensive Response High (2 shots chest box, 2 shots ocular cavity)
SDR Low - Standard Defensive Response Low (2 shots chest box, 2 shots pelvis)

1. SDR

2. SDR High

3. SDR Low

4. SDR, Circle

5. SDR High, 1, 4, 2, 3

6. SDR Low, Triangle, Square, 1, 1

7. SDR, Square All Strong Hand

8. SDR Low, 1, 4, Circle All Weak Hand

9. SDR, SDR High, 1, B, Triangle

10. SDR Low, switch to weak hand SDR

11. Side Step Circle, Square, 4, A

12. Weak Hand 1, B, 2, Triangle

13. Side Step SDR, holster, SDR Strong hand, holster, SDR Weak Hand

14. Side step, SDR High

15. Draw Walk Back 4 Chest

16. Side Step Draw, SDR, Reassess, Triangle, A, Square, 4

17. Draw Walk Forward 5 Chest

18. Draw Walk Forward, 3 Chest, Circle

19. Draw Walk Backward 3 Chest, 2 Low

20. 1, 2, 3, 4, SDR High, SDR Low, SDR Weak Hand, 3 Strong Hand

10501682164_01f2eefeac.jpg

Excellent post, WM~~

And really great shooting!

Even easier if not at an indoor range where your movements may be limited by the range rules especially when others are on the firing line.

I/m noting this for a future trip to the range.

Good shooting BTW.

Back